Windows 10: Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10

Discus and support Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10 [img] Information A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by groze, May 15, 2016.

1. groze Win User

Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10

How to: Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10

Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a data limit associated with it. Cellular data connections are set as metered by default. Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connections can be set to metered but aren't by default. Some apps might work differently on a metered connection to help reduce your data usage. Also, some updates for Windows won't be installed automatically.

Internet service providers can charge by the amount of data used (the amount of data sent and received by your PC). That's called a metered Internet connection. These plans often have a data limit, and if you exceed the limit you might have to pay extra. In some cases, you aren't charged extra but your connection speed becomes slower until the billing cycle ends.

If you have a metered Internet connection, setting your network connection to metered in Windows can help you reduce the amount of data you send and receive, and prevent Windows Update from automatically downloading and installing updates.

Windows 10 doesn't provide an easy way to set an Ethernet connection as metered or non-metered.

This tutorial will show you how to set an Ethernet network as a metered or non-metered connection for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

Note If an Ethernet network is set as a metered connection, then:
    • Windows will automatically download and install updates, except on metered connections. In that case, Windows will automatically download only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly.
    • Some available updates in Windows Update will no longer be automatically downloaded. You have to click/tap on the Download button in Windows Update to download and install them.
    • You can update Windows Defender definitions directly in Windows Defender instead of through Windows Update to avoid installing all other available updates at that time.
    • You can turn on or off downloading drivers over metered connections separately in Settings -> Devices.
    • You will need to manually check for available app updates in the Store.
    • You will not be able to download and install Optional Features until you set the Ethernet connection back as non-metered until finished.
    • If you have Outlook installed, it will show you a message that "Outlook is working offline...", and offer you to be able to "Connect Anyway".

Starting with Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703, Windows Update will now also automatically download on a metered connection only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Non-Metered in Settings
    • Option Two: To Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Non-Metered in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] To Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Non-Metered in Settings

Note This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 14986.

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Network & Internet icon.

2. Click/tap on Ethernet on the left side, and click/tap on the Ethernet connection (ex: "Ethernet") on the right side you want to set as metered or non-metered. (see screenshot below)

3. Turn On or Off (default) Set as metered connection for what you want. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close Setting if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Non-Metered in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and press Enter to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. In Registry Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost

4. step 3)

5. step 3)

6. step 3)

Note After you have done steps 4 to 6 once, you will not have to do them again to be able to do step 7 at any time afterwards.

7. Do step 8 (metered) or step 9 (non-metered) below for what you would like to do.

Note The .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below. This is the same location in step 3.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost

Ethernet DWORD

1 = non-metered
    2 = metered

8. To Set Ethernet Network as Metered Connection
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 10 below.

Set_Ethernet_as_metered_connection.reg

Download

9. To Set Ethernet Network as Non-Metered Connection
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 10 below.

Set_Ethernet_as_non-metered_connection.reg

Download
    10. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

11. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

12. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

13. Restart the computer to apply.

14. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

groze, May 15, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, May 15, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, May 15, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello groze, *Smile

Odd. Were you signed in to an administrator account when trying to change the owner and set permissions of the registry key?

If the Ethernet DWORD value is set to 2, then it should be a metered connection. I suppose one way to verify is to see if Windows Updates will still automatically download and install updates or not. It won't if it's a metered Ethernet connection.

Brink, May 15, 2016
  5. groze Win User
    The users substitute instead of administrators did work at least for me. It just took a little while to find out.

groze, May 21, 2016
  6. Although i reverted back to Windows 8.1, i'm thankfull for this tip. Since my attempt changing permissions was denied, i digged some memory banks from my NT days, and did what is outlined here.

mynextosismac, Jun 2, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello mynextosismac, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It sounds like you didn't do step 4 first before doing step 5 since you were denied permissions.

Brink, Jun 2, 2016
  8. mertzi Win User

Hi again! Step 5 is referencing to the Eight Forum, things look different. But I managed to sort it out and changed Ethernet to 2. Can I confirm somehow it now really is metered?

mertzi, Aug 2, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. You can keep checking for updates to make sure that they don't automatically download and install.

Brink, Aug 2, 2016
  10. xbliss Win User
    1511 - Ethernet Reg not importing into Hyper V VM?

xbliss, Aug 23, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello xbliss, *Smile

Did you download the .reg file from within the VM?

What is happening when you try to merge the .reg file? Any error messages?

Brink, Aug 23, 2016
  12. xbliss Win User
    xbliss, Aug 23, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

What was the exact error message you got?

Brink, Aug 23, 2016
  14. Kol12 Win User
    Can we revert "change the owner" and "set permissions" if we decide to? or would there not be any need to?

How exactly does setting the connection to metered affect updates? Do we control what and when to update? Will the metered connection have any effect on anything else we're not aware of?

Kol12, Aug 25, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Kol12, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Q1) There's no need to revert the owner or permissions, but you could change them back if you like.

Q2) Windows will not automatically download updates with a metered Internet connection. Setting your Internet connection to be metered is a workaround to effectively disable automatic updates.

Q3) Having a metered Internet connection will also affect anything else (ex: Store, OneDrive, etc...) that uses your Internet bandwidth. They will also no longer automatically use your bandwidth, but you can still manually use it with them.

Brink, Aug 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Set Ethernet Connection

2. Unable to set connection as "metered"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to set connection as "metered": Problem: I connect to a WiFi network, then I open connection settings and set the connection to metered. When I go back to connection settings, the metered connection toggle switch is in "off state". The problem isn't specific to a connection, I've tried on multiple...
  3. Windows 10 Metered Connection settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Metered Connection settings: 1. Metered Connection is Enabled / Disabled individually per WiFi or Ethernet network through Settings > Network & Internet > WiFi (left panel) > WiFi adapters connected to the PC appears on the right panel > Under WiFi adapter (ON) > Manage known networks > click on the WiFi...
  4. Getting metered connection warnings/notifications on unmetered connection.

Getting metered connection warnings/notifications on unmetered connection.: Recently purchased a new PC with Windows 10. I am now seeing messages in several places about having a metered connection. I checked the WiFi settings and the setting is turned to off for a metered connection yet the PC is still telling me the connection is metered in my...
  5. Set Win 10 connection as a metered connection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set Win 10 connection as a metered connection: My LAN is connected via router to a metered NBN connection. I do NOT want to connect to the router via WiFi. So how do I set WIN 10 to accept the LAN connection as a metered connection? OS Win 10 home. Thanks in advance Bill...
  6. Setting ethernet as a metered connection no longer working

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Setting ethernet as a metered connection no longer working: I recently upgraded from v1511 to 1607. It went well. Disappointed to find that many of my personal settings and preferences were reset to defaults. Still working through that nuisance. On 1511 I had set my ethernet connection to be metered as instructed here:...
  7. Setting a metered connection for Ethernet?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Setting a metered connection for Ethernet?: I would like to set a metered connection for Ethernet so that I don't have to sufffer the inopportune auto-updates and can instead update Windows when it's convenient for me. Alas, in Network & Internet > Ethernet, "Set metered connection" is greyed out. How do I enable this...
  8. set metered connection is not activate

set metered connection is not activate: hi i am trying to active set metered connection in my setting , when i active it and leave setting and return it switched to OFF again i tried this way " netsh wlan set profileparameter name=dlink_DWR-932_6789 cost=fixed " and it shows " Profile "dlink_DWR-932_6789"...
  9. windows metered connection ethernet

windows metered connection ethernet: Found some guide online about turning on metered connection on ethernet connection here and its need you to tweak regedit. My Question is, it is safe to do this on ethernet connection because windows 10 only give you this option on wireless connection but since my internet...
  10. need to set Internet to metered connection in W home with ethernet

need to set Internet to metered connection in W home with ethernet: need to set Internet to metered connection in Windows home with ethernet connection. only seems to be an option for WIFI....I don't connect using WIFI but have a metered connection, so can't afford windows to auto download.... is is there a way of doing this ? possibly...