Windows 10: After clean reinstall with new SSD, Laptop freezes on sleep/shutdown?

Discus and support After clean reinstall with new SSD, Laptop freezes on sleep/shutdown? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Although I treat my laptop as a desktop and keep it running 24/7, this is kind of annoying. I had recently performed a clean reinstall when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FuturDreamz, Jan 9, 2016.

1. After clean reinstall with new SSD, Laptop freezes on sleep/shutdown?

Although I treat my laptop as a desktop and keep it running 24/7, this is kind of annoying.

I had recently performed a clean reinstall when I upgraded my laptop to a Samsung 850 Evo, and ever since then I've had problems with sleep. If I initiate sleep, hibernation, or shutdown then the screen goes black but the status LEDs stay on. punching all the buttons do NOTHING, with my only recourse being to press the power button until the lights go out. After which the system acts as if I woke from hibernation as normal. Restarts are unaffected, which is a good thing as having to force-restart my laptop every week will get old fast.

I believe I have installed all needed drivers, and Device Manager does not show anything missing. I honestly don't know what to do next.

:)

FuturDreamz, Jan 9, 2016
  2. grfft Win User

Windows 10 Freezes; SSD's transfer rate goes to 100%

I have solved this issue - so far my SSD freezes have stopped.

I changed the SATA driver from the generic Microsoft one, back to the intel driver provided by ASUS.

I first had this issue when I clean installed windows 10.

Prior to this, I had upgraded my HDD to an SSD while on windows 8.1

after the upgrade to windows 10 I had no issues.

after clean installing windows 10, the SSD freezes began. I went back to a HDD and didn't have this issue, but returned to the SSD and still had this issue. the freezes are only about 30 seconds to 1 minute.

I went to my laptop OEM page and downloaded the 2013 intel driver recommended for my laptop. After a restart, the SSD issue stopped and has not returned.

I propose that the generic Microsoft SATA driver is the cause of this issue, on my laptop. My SSD freezing issue occurred only after I started using the generic Microsoft driver, and stopped when I returned to the Intel driver that originally came with my
    laptop.

grfft, Jan 9, 2016
  3. Installing get stuck at 0% while copying files

I performed a clean installation of Windows after installing a new SSD. I tried formatting the partition it freeze.

DAndrei279, Jan 9, 2016
  4. After clean reinstall with new SSD, Laptop freezes on sleep/shutdown?

Hi, I had a similar problem with my lappy, it didn't start happening until lappy was about 18 months old. Thankfully it had a 2 year wnty, under wnty they replaced SSD. Maybe yours has a problem, I'm not sure of how you would go about testing this with a utility as it seems to be when the SSD shuts down. Perhaps try reinstalling your old SSD if you can, unless the OS is installed on it, my SSD was merely used as a cache. If that works go for SSD wnty.
    I'm interested to know the outcome.
    Good luck.

davidbanks, Jan 10, 2016
  5. Sorry for taking so long to get back. The computer had a HDD before. Swapping back does resolve the problem, but it has done it as soon as I got the SSD. I have done a clean reinstall and even reset my laptop's firmaware to defaults, whch helped for only a short while. Annoyingly enough, it is sort of intermittent. Sometimes it works fine, but usually it doesn't.

Although, I had thought I disabled HD sleep, but when i checked it was set to 10-20 minutes again. I will try to see if this works.

FuturDreamz, Apr 23, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, there are many many threads on sleep issues- some about automatically waking up (which you don't want) and others about problems getting into sleep mode.

Solved Windows 10 Will Not Auto Sleep - Windows 10 Forums
    Windows 10 will not sleep. - Windows 10 Forums

Have you tried disabling fast startup?

And have you switched to AHCI in your BIOS? However, I believe switching to AHCI after installing your OS requires some sort of hack.. here:
    How to Change SATA Hard Disk Mode from IDE to AHCI / RAID in BIOS after Installing Windows? - AskVG
    That said, I've only noted this is performance related- not seen anything specific on sleep issues.

dalchina, Apr 24, 2016
  7. lmaneke Win User
    Have you tried updating the firmware on the SSD? Sometimes that will fix problems.

More than likely the SSD is having an issue and should be replaced.

lmaneke, Apr 25, 2016
  8. After clean reinstall with new SSD, Laptop freezes on sleep/shutdown?

I retract my previous post. I'm still getting the problem.

Samsung Magician reports no firmware updates available. I rolled my system firmware to version 202 instead of 203, which seems to now allow me to put the computer to sleep by pressing the power button or closing the lid. However, if I let the computer go to sleep normally then it will lock up with a black screen. Setting the hard drive to never sleep seemed like it fixed the issue, but it's back.

I don't even know how to troubleshoot this anymore. I can give event viewer logs or information if you ask, but I don't know what is relevant. I used this to generate a BSOD report Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions - Windows 7 Help Forums
    DESKTOP-72VFV8C-2016-05-25_230543_26.zip

FuturDreamz, May 25, 2016
  9. Try this:
    return firmware to 203 - seems as though you're getting BSODs with 202

Remove Magician from startup
    test it

Create a new power plan and make it the active plan
    test it

Simple, but that's all I can think of *Think

Slartybart, May 25, 2016
  10. ARC
    Arc Win User
  11. Sleep does not work AT ALL with 203. My computer is quick to reboot but there is a difference. 202 solved that.

Samsung Magician is not set to run at startup, and I only installed it yesterday to check for new firmware.

That was among the first things I did, and I have mentioned it.

Following other threads I have completely purged and reinstalled my wifi drivers, and given ownership of a couple core components to Administrators. It seems to have helped, but again I will have to wait and see if the issue comes back. I'm not going to announce yet again that it's fixed only for it to pop up a couple days later.

FuturDreamz, May 25, 2016
  12. Ok, and the new power plan?

You might also want to disable Hibernation and Fast boot to test
    You can re-neable them if you choose.

Slartybart, May 25, 2016
  13. f14tomcat Win User

After clean reinstall with new SSD, Laptop freezes on sleep/shutdown?

Adding to Bill's post: Hibernation and Fast Startup are not recommended for SSD anyway. Accomplishes virtually nothing, takes up 6-12GB of space, and adds lots of unnecessary wear level to the SSD.

At Admin command prompt: powercfg -h off

Will turn off hibernation, disable Fast Startup, and give back the disk space.

f14tomcat, May 26, 2016
  14. This is the latest result from using the BSOD tool. ALPHA-V3-2016-05-26_203806_96.zip Event viewer is showing some weird errors, such as Code: "Name resolution for the name Jokes Warehouse - Free Jokes and a Joke of the Day timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."[/quote] I have never visited that website, and am now running the MS malicious software removal tool. I've increased the size of the readyboot log to 128mb using this instruction

I've changed the power plan to high performance, which to my knowledge has never been touched. I have disabled fast startup and hibernation. I'll have to see if it helps.

FuturDreamz, May 26, 2016
  15. Disabling hibernation didn't help. Still crashes. The MSRT didn't find anything either.ALPHA-V3-2016-05-27_111612_33.zip

I really have no idea what is causing it, so I'm hoping that someone who can read the BSOD report might be able to find which of the errors are important.

and... Hm. The performance profile by default disables sleep. So why did my computer lock up? I've now disabled USB selective suspend to see if that helps.

FuturDreamz, May 26, 2016
Thema:

After clean reinstall with new SSD, Laptop freezes on sleep/shutdown?

1. After clean reinstall with new SSD, Laptop freezes on sleep/shutdown? - Similar Threads - clean reinstall SSD

2. laptop is glitchy after sleep mode & shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    laptop is glitchy after sleep mode & shutdown: So here's the problem. After I power up my laptop after it exits sleep mode or even after normal shutdown, the laptop moves very slow and glitchy even cursor moves are glitchy, the taskbar options completely disappear and and only thing that remains is Airplane Mode....
  3. Laptop Freeze After Sleep/Hibernate/Shutdown, Then Goes BSOD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop Freeze After Sleep/Hibernate/Shutdown, Then Goes BSOD: I don't know how to fix this, but can you help me please? (Sorry for bad english) after i sleep/hibernate/shutdown my laptop, it freezes and then goes BSOD The only way how to get rid of this is just Hard Shutdown (Long-pressing the power button) Stop Code is:...
  4. Moving SSD to new laptop without reinstalling?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving SSD to new laptop without reinstalling?: Both laptops have valid windows 10 licenses. One is old as balls and had a SSD breath new life into it but it still struggles, and the new one is a decent system held back by a slow drive. I'd like to avoid reinstalling all my apps and setting things up the way I like, so...
  5. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  6. System keeps freezing after clean windows install on a brand new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System keeps freezing after clean windows install on a brand new SSD: Hi everyone, tl:dr Windows keeps freezing after I installed new SSD. I'm not able to determine what is causing the problem. I'm unable to update my SATA drivers. Components in question My motherboard: 970A-UD3P Rev 1. SSD in quesiton: Crucial MX500 CT500MX500SSD1(Z) 500GB...
  7. Primary SSD disappears after sleep or shutdown

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Primary SSD disappears after sleep or shutdown: Hello After sleep or shutdown my SSD with the system on it disappears. Even in the bios i only see the secondary HD. Only after couple of resets it appears again in the bios and i moving it to be the first boot option. In device manager i don't have issues. I restored the...
  8. Freezing/Hitching after reinstallation on SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freezing/Hitching after reinstallation on SSD: For the sake of context, I am going to share every single issue I have had previously prior to where I am now, as they may be related in some way. Currently, my issue is that after having reinstalled Windows 10 Pro on my Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, I am experiencing freezing,...
  9. Clean insatll on a New SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean insatll on a New SSD?: I'm about to do a clean install of Windows 10 pro 64bit on to a new SSD I just received in the mail and wondering how I will be able to activate it? I originally did an upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 pro and then a clean install from there back when Win10 pro first became...
  10. Clean install on new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install on new SSD: Hello Everyone, I intend to buy a new SSD in the coming weeks, not sure if its a Samsung Evo 250, or 500 GB drive, To install windows 10, I plan to do a Fresh Clean install of windows 10 on the new SSD, I have seen so many ways on this Forum, on the best way to do a Clean...