Windows 10: after new update can I delete windows.old and windows.bt

Discus and support after new update can I delete windows.old and windows.bt in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings Just had a long update and again windows.bt and windows.old were added. Can I safely delete them? How do I know which version I am? what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zivshosh, Dec 6, 2017.

1. zivshosh Win User

after new update can I delete windows.old and windows.bt

Greetings
    Just had a long update and again windows.bt and windows.old were added.
    Can I safely delete them?
    How do I know which version I am?
    what else I can delete? (my system drive dropped by 20GB but I'm not sure all is windows' fault)
    how can I get rid of windows defender shield in the tray?
    thank you

:)

zivshosh, Dec 6, 2017

2. Can't get the latest Windows 10 Update (Error 0x80070003)

Two cases then for step 2. Either the MBR is corrupt(most probably) or Windows.bt folders are corrupt.

Let us first try and delete Windows.WS and Windows.BT folders and see if there is any improvement:

What Is the $WINDOWS.~BT Folder, and Can You Delete It?
    Try running the setup again.

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 6, 2017
  3. KamiChan Win User
    Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80240020: Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Silva's solution works (Thanks !) finally after a 6h waiting (Windows Update download)

no need to delete $Windows.bt but windows update engine will clean it auto.

KamiChan, Dec 6, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

zbook, Dec 6, 2017
  5. zivshosh Win User
    got rid of windows defender and onedrive thru registry
    still don't know if I can delete windows.bt & windows.old and how do I know my version
    thank you

zivshosh, Dec 6, 2017
  6. zivshosh Win User
    it worked!
    thank you zbook

zivshosh, Dec 6, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
Thema:

1. after new update can I delete windows.old and windows.bt - Similar Threads - update delete old

2. Trying to delete Windows old after update to W11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to delete Windows old after update to W11: Trying to delete Windows old after update to W11 because my c: drive is low on space but my machine can't or won't delete it. Tells me it's doing it but Windows old is still there and I'm still short of disc space. how do I delete the old files to give W11 the space it needs...
  3. $Windows.~BT New OS directory - Can't delete

in Windows 10 Support
    $Windows.~BT New OS directory - Can't delete: My win 10, WinSider PC, seems to have downloaded Win 11 in the Windows.~BT folder. It takes about 15GB of space. I want it gone. My system hardware (currently) can't use win11, which I think this is. I have tried all the usual methods to remove/delete. None can do it. the...
  4. Cannot delete $Windows,~bt.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot delete $Windows,~bt.: I have this folder that won't delete for anything i do. I tried everything i could find on the internet but nothing. I tried to change ownership but it always says "you need permission from x to change" x=anything i change ownership to. Some tips would be welcome. Btw,the...
  5. Delete Windows BT file

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete Windows BT file: Hi so I'm thinking of this weekend finally updating my windows version from 1809, but I have an issue I have about 20 GB's of space taken from a previous failed installed 1903 update back in September and I'd like to get rid of it. Disk Cleanup won't show the file and I...
  6. I can't delete $Windows.~BT

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't delete $Windows.~BT: I have been trying for most of the day to delete $Windows.~BT (it's at 20 GB on a 100 GB machine) I've tried disk cleanup two or three times, run scripts I found online, run some app to "take control". I keep getting the error "Login as an administrator to..." but I am, and...
  7. Can we safely delete folder $WINDOWS~BT

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can we safely delete folder $WINDOWS~BT: I read an article that this file is actually a older version of window 10 than I'm currently using. My first question is why doesn't my C: drive show the size of any folder? Can we see theirs size some how? There is also a file folder called PerfLogs on my C: drive. I...
  8. Can I delete $Windows.~BT after installing?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I delete $Windows.~BT after installing?: This folder and $Windows.~WS are both part of the Windows 10 upgrade from what I've been told. Now that I've finished the installation, these two folders are still on my C: drive, eating up 11.5GB of space between them. Is it safe to get rid of them after the installation is...
  9. can i delete "windows old files" ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    can i delete "windows old files" ?: i noticed my pc's memory is very depleted. i got rid of some programs i dont use...didnt help. so i ran disk cleanup and it found 28GB of junk, but after an hour, my patience soon ran out and didnt complete said scan. and even though the windows old files are over 8GB, i...
  10. Does Update delete $WINDOWS.~BT before downloading the new one?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does Update delete $WINDOWS.~BT before downloading the new one?: Does Update delete $WINDOWS.~BT before downloading the new one? Or does it just overwrite the existing files? 55846