Windows 10: After the Fall Creators Update, shutting down is significantly slower

Discus and support After the Fall Creators Update, shutting down is significantly slower in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Before the Fall Creators Update, shutting down took about 2-3 seconds (literally). After the update, it now takes 22-30 seconds. Why is this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Curve, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Curve Win User

After the Fall Creators Update, shutting down is significantly slower

Before the Fall Creators Update, shutting down took about 2-3 seconds (literally). After the update, it now takes 22-30 seconds.

Why is this happening? Is Windows trying to do incremental additional updates during shutdown? Is this something that will automatically go back to the prior speed? If not, how do I get that back?

:)

Curve, Nov 6, 2017
  2. Kiro NG Win User

Windows 10 fall creators

After updating Windows 10 fall creators, shutting down PC is much slower.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

Kiro NG, Nov 6, 2017
  3. Fast Shutdown

Ever since I updated my computers to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, my computers are not shutting down in fast shutdown mode. Can I turn the feature back on or is this a bug until Microsoft can update the OS with a fix?

All of my computers have the UEFI BIOS. So, they should shut down like they always have.

What’s happening is when I go to log off at night and shut down, the computer has an extra screen that says “Shutting Down” and it will eventually go off. When I go to start it up, it says “Please Wait”, and then it will eventually return to the Lock
    screen. It acts as if the profile is loading slower in the Fall Creators Update than the previous update. Can someone help me with this issue? It used to not have an extra screen when shutting down or starting up. It would go directly to the lock screen or
    would directly shut down.

Jesse.Williams, Nov 6, 2017
  4. After the Fall Creators Update, shutting down is significantly slower

Yes,..I've noticed this too. Proper clean Shut Down takes longer than it did before since installing FCU.

Runnerbean, Nov 6, 2017
  5. Mooly Win User
    I have commented on this before. If you have fast startup enabled I find that shutdown via a right click of the start menu option takes 25 seconds, a shutdown via a left click option took around 12 seconds and shutdown via the power button just 2 seconds.

I think all this needs clarifying in some way.

Mooly, Nov 6, 2017
  6. I don't think Shutting Down the PC via the power button is a proper clean shutdown though is it?

Runnerbean, Nov 6, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @Curve

A new feature in the Fall Creators Update is that shutting down from the Start menu's power button will now reopen certain registered apps at the next start up. It may well be saving the necessary data that takes the extra time. Only some apps can restart, apps that will restart include MS Office, Internet Explorer, Wordpad, Task Manager and Chrome. Apps that can't restart include Edge, Notepad and Firefox. This behaviour was possible before the Fall update by using the shutdown command, now the Start menu uses the same functions.

After the Fall Creators Update, shutting down is significantly slower [​IMG]

There are other ways to shut down that do it the 'old way' without restarting registered apps. Try clicking on an empty part of the Desktop then using Alt-F4. More here...

on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before

Bree, Nov 6, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Not if you press and hold it until it kills the PC. You can however configure the power button to shut down, hibernate, put the PC to sleep, or turn off the display. see...

*Arrow Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10

Bree, Nov 6, 2017
  9. Mooly Win User
    Mooly, Nov 6, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Yes, that was in response to my thread that brought it to his attention.

on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before

(took a while to convince him it was a real effect though, check out post #41 *Smile)

Thema:

1. After the Fall Creators Update, shutting down is significantly slower - Similar Threads - Fall Creators Update

2. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  3. INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...

in Browsers and Email
    INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...: Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I thought it was more browser than OS related. Anyway, after last week's v1709 update, CCleaner has been deleting a file it never used to. C:\Users\UserId\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\deprecated.cookie It shows up...
  4. BSOD after Fall Creators update, 0x000000c8

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after Fall Creators update, 0x000000c8: Hello. I'm having BSODs and other problems like start menu not working after upgrading to v1709. The strange thing is that BSODs occur only when pc turns on, meaning no BSOD when I restart. I even tried a clean install from different 1709 .ISO and still getting BSODs....
  5. Encoding Videos slowed down significantly after Creators Fall update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encoding Videos slowed down significantly after Creators Fall update: I often do video re-encoding for 4K Videos to reduce their ridiculous sizes that can reach up to 30 GBs for 90 minutes . Usually it took 24 hours to convert a 1 hour 4K movie to H265 2K (I7 CPU + NVIDIA Acceleration) , I know is too much but still , I have seen worse...
  6. Shut down takes longer after Creators Update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shut down takes longer after Creators Update: After the Creators Update was done on my PC, I shut the PC down but it took considerably longer to shut down than usual. I then started it back up to see if anything was running or something and I had nothing but a black screen with a scrambled bar across the screen. I...
  7. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  8. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  9. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....