Windows 10: All folders in Explorer display in Thumbnails view - Why??

Discus and support All folders in Explorer display in Thumbnails view - Why?? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Let me correct that subject line a bit. It happens in almost all Sub Folders. For example, This PC is an odd one. Sometimes it's in thumbnail view,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hooked, Mar 27, 2016.

1. hooked Win User

All folders in Explorer display in Thumbnails view - Why??

Let me correct that subject line a bit. It happens in almost all Sub Folders. For example, This PC is an odd one. Sometimes it's in thumbnail view, other times it's in detail view. I suppose that depends on how you start This PC.
    This started about 3 weeks ago. I've been so busy with tech problems, at the time I never thought about it being a long term issue. Had I known, I could have looked at my windows updates to see if there was an update around that time. But if it was a Windows update, I think lots of users would be throwing fits, so it must be something that was caused by a setting in another program.
    I use the detail view on ALL of my folders. Even pictures and music, if I'm looking at those in Explorer, I want the detail view. I have programs for my audio files and my image files - then I will use a different view.
    Well, I remember in the good old days, at least in XP, you could go into Folder Options and make changes and there was a bo you could check to Apply these changes to ALL folders? It was wonderful. Windows 10 doesn't have that option. But I figure one of you has had a similar issue, and I also figure one of you has found a solution.
    I change the settings in every folder that I open, but it doesn't stay, and I've looked at all the options in the toolbar - There doesn't seem to be any option to save that view, let alone apply to ALL folders. This is driving me mad.
    So, have any of you had this problem? Have any of you found a way to change settings for folders Globally?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

:)

hooked, Mar 27, 2016

2. Photos app on Windows 8.1 lumia 920 phone only showing some jpg images

My Lumia 920 is about a year old, running Windows 8.1.

The Photos app does not show either thumbnails or icons for some (not all) jpg files in the Saved Pictures folder. When connected to my PC running Windows 10, in Windows Explorer, all files (including the 'missing' ones) are shown as present in the Saved
    Pictures folder. However, in this case, the thumbnails of the images showing correctly on the phone also show correctly in Windows Explorer, whereas the files missing on the the phone are displayed as icons, not thumbnails.

I have already checked (following Windows Explorer > View (tab) > Options (icon) > Change folder and search options > View (tab)) that the 'Always show icons never thumbnails' is unchecked for the Saved Pictures folder on the phone.

(Note that the Lumia Camera app works as it should, and thumbnails are displayed correctly).

Any suggestions? Delete uninstall and reinstall Photos?

Richardgb1, Mar 27, 2016
  3. Rose Ter Win User
    Picture preview at Windows 10

Hi Chan,

If File Explorer is not showing thumbnail previews for photos in Windows 10, You may try out the following solutions:

Check if thumbnail preview supported view is turned on

Make sure that you have turned on the thumbnail preview supported view for the folder where you have your photos. Note that every folder can have its own view setting, and when you change the view, it won’t be applied to all
    the folders on your PC.

To turn on thumbnail preview supported view, click on the View tab, and then click on one of the following views: Extra-large icons, Large icons, Medium icons, Tiles, Content.

Check if thumbnails are disabled

When thumbnails are turned off, the File Explorer displays icons of the default program for the file type instead of the thumbnail preview. You may try these steps:

• Open up File Explorer. Click the File menu and then click Change folder and search options to open Folder Options. If a file is selected in the particular folder, you might see just Options instead of Change folder and search options. Clicking Options
      will also open Folder Options.
    • Switch to the View tab. Under Advanced settings section, uncheck the option labeled Always show icons, never thumbnails, and then click Apply button
      to enable thumbnails in Windows Explorer.

Feel free to contact us if you have further inquiries.

Rose Ter, Mar 27, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Mar 27, 2016
  5. mrgeek Win User
    "Apply these changes to ALL folders? It was wonderful. Windows 10 doesn't have that option."
    It has the exact same option. In an explorer window, Hit the Details view at bottom. Hit the drop down under Options at the top. The same menu that was in XP is there (Change folder and search options/View tab).
    To expand on Brink's response. R-click any blank area to bring up folder properties. Hit Customize tab and apply your preferences there.

As you can see in the below Music sub-folder, I have custom columns which I can apply to all music files by R-click Music under This PC. Select my details like Artist, yr, length of song etc. and select Customize for Music. Select apply to all sub folders and all my music folders will open with same details. For pictures, I may use dimensions, type, etc and optimize for Pictures. You can use these settings instead of your third party programs.
    Understand that if you open Downloads folder which may have varied content and thumbnails appear there, it applies to sub folders unless you've checked off the options above for each sub-folder. Good Luck

All folders in Explorer display in Thumbnails view - Why?? [​IMG]

All folders in Explorer display in Thumbnails view - Why?? [​IMG]

mrgeek, Mar 27, 2016
  6. hooked Win User
    Thanks to both of you. I thought I looked at Options and didn't see anything that looked like it would help. Guess I need to look again.

Wonder why it happened though???

hooked, Mar 29, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Were you able to get it set how you wanted?

Brink, Mar 29, 2016
  8. hooked Win User

Oh, yeah. I had fun playing with it for about an hour. Like I had said in my first post, I want to view everything in detail in Explorer - cuz I have programs that let me view audio/video/photos with many ways to easily change the display. But now that you turned me on to this, I figure I might as well set up folders based on content.

I knew there was a solution. I just got weary looking for the way(s) to do it.
    You're de man!

hooked, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. All folders in Explorer display in Thumbnails view - Why?? - Similar Threads - folders Explorer display

2. Unable to view thumbnails in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to view thumbnails in Windows Explorer: I am totally unable to view thumbnails in Windows 11 Explorer. I can't tell what the photos are because they don't show up in the preview screen either. How can I fix that?...
  3. Unable to view thumbnails in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to view thumbnails in Windows Explorer: I am totally unable to view thumbnails in Windows 11 Explorer. I can't tell what the photos are because they don't show up in the preview screen either. How can I fix that?...
  4. Thumbnail displays for all PDFs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thumbnail displays for all PDFs: From the screenshot, There are only 5 thumbnails of PDfs appeared. However, I have more than 5 pdfs opened but they just stay on different tabs. Is there any way that I can use my mouse to hover and it will display all the PDFs file that I have opened?I find it hard not to be...
  5. Thumbnails in Windows Explorer are Not Displayed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnails in Windows Explorer are Not Displayed: I've tried every solution described in this article, but I can't get Windows 10 Edu. 1909 64 bit to display thumbnails in Windows Explorer. "Always show icons, never thumbnails" in Windows Explorer is deactivated. Any help would be appreciated. submitted by /u/-Skybird-...
  6. Thumbnails not showing in folder view

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails not showing in folder view: My canon cr2 images are not showing at thumbnails though jpgs do show up. I have just switched to a different camera. The CR2 files used to show previously but these are larger 2m mb images. Do I need to somehow allocate more memory? 164984
  7. Not all PDFs are displayed as thumbnails in Windows Explorer. Why?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not all PDFs are displayed as thumbnails in Windows Explorer. Why?: Windows 10, Version 2004, Acrobat Reader DC Almost all PDFs are displayed as thumbnails, but not all of them. On the first run all of them were still displayed. Then I shot the views with the CCleaner and now some PDFs are only shown as symbols. Does anyone know this? Im...
  8. Thumbnail view in Windows 10 Explorer?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Thumbnail view in Windows 10 Explorer?: Hello, I would very much like to see my files in Winwows Explorer in a thumbnail view instead of the PDF/Word symbol. This works for images and Open Document documents and is displayed to me, but not for Word and PDF files. In Word I have set that the thumbnails are...
  9. Thumbnails not displaying in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnails not displaying in Explorer: Thumbnails on my new laptop running Win10 are not displaying in Explorer or editing software. They show briefly after a folder opens and when I use the slider, they show for a split second as the mouse scrolls down. Otherwise only an icon shows....
  10. How to view thumbnails of all the videos in subfolders of a folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to view thumbnails of all the videos in subfolders of a folder?: I have a folder which contains subfolders. The subfolders contain videos. I'd like to see thumbnails of all the videos in the subfolders without having to go into each one. Is there a way to do that? 94661

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer - show folders in details but sub-folders in large thumbnail

2. windows file explorer show sub folders view thumbnails