Windows 10: Allow or Block Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome

Discus and support Allow or Block Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Allow or Block Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome How to Allow or Block Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome in Windows While browsing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Rudra Paliwal, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Allow or Block Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome

How to: Allow or Block Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome

How to Allow or Block Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome in Windows

While browsing websites in Google Chrome, it can be annoying when a site automatically plays sound.

While you can manually mute and unmute sites per tab as needed, you can also set to allow or block sites to play sound by default in Google Chrome.

If you set to mute sites that play sound by default, sites will be blocked from playing sound until you either unmute a site or add a site to the Allow list as an exception. When you manually unmute a site, it will automatically be added to the Allow list. When you manually mute a site, it will automatically be removed from the Allow list.

If you set to allow sites to play sound by default, sites will be allowed to play sound until you either mute a site or add a site to the Mute list as an exception. When you manually mute a site, it will automatically be added to the Mute list. When you manually unmute a site, it will automatically be removed from the Mute list.

This tutorial will show you how to allow (unmute) or block (mute) sites to play sound in Google Chrome for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Allow (unmute) or Block (mute) Sites to Play Sound by Default in Google Chrome
    • Option Two: Allow (unmute) or Block (mute) Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome from Tab Context Menu
    • Option Three: Allow (unmute) or Block (mute) Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome from Site Information
    • Option Four: Allow (unmute) or Block (mute) Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome from Site Settings
    • Option Five: Allow (unmute) or Block (mute) Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome from Sound Settings

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Allow (unmute) or Block (mute) Sites to Play Sound by Default in Google Chrome
    1. Open Google Chrome.

2. Click/tap on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3 dots) button, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

*note If you like, you can copy and paste chrome://settings/content/sound into the address bar, and press Enter to go directly to step 6 instead.

Allow or Block Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on Advanced at the bottom. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Site settings in the Privacy and security section. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on Sound in Site settings. (see screenshot below)

6. Turn On (default) Allow sites to play sound or Off Mute sites that play sound for what you want by default. (see screenshots below)

7. When finished, you can close the Settings tab if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Allow (unmute) or Block (mute) Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome from Tab Context Menu
    1. While in Google Chrome, right click on the tab for a site you want to mute or unmute. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on Mute site or Unmute site.

OPTION THREE [/i] Allow (unmute) or Block (mute) Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome from Site Information
    1. While in Google Chrome, open the tab you want to allow or block.

2. Click/tap on the View site information button just to the left of the site's URL in the address bar. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Allow (unmute), Block (mute), or (default) action from the Sound drop menu for what you want for this site.

*note The is (default) action (allow or block) is determined by what you have set in Option One.

4. When finished, you can close the site information box.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Allow (unmute) or Block (mute) Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome from Site Settings
    1. While in Google Chrome, open the tab you want to allow or block.

2. Click/tap on the View site information button just to the left of the site's URL in the address bar, and click/tap on Site settings. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Allow (unmute), Block (mute), or (default) action from the Sound drop menu for what you want for this site. (see screenshot below)

*note The is (default) action (allow or block) is determined by what you have set in Option One.

4. When finished, you can close the Settings tab.

OPTION FIVE [/i] Allow (unmute) or Block (mute) Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome from Sound Settings
    1. Open Google Chrome.

2. Click/tap on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3 dots) button, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

*note If you like, you can copy and paste chrome://settings/content/sound into the address bar, and press Enter to go directly to step 6 instead.

3. Click/tap on Advanced at the bottom. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Site settings in the Privacy and security section. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on Sound in Site settings. (see screenshot below)

6. Do step 7 (Muted) and/or step 8 (Allow) below to make changes to the Sound settings you want.

7. Add, Allow, Edit, or Remove Sites in Muted (Block) List
    A) Perform the actions below you want to do: (see screenshots below)
    • To add a site to the Muted list, click/tap on the Add button, type the site's URL address, and click/tap on Add.
    • To move a muted site to the Allow list, click/tap on the More actions (3 dots) button to the right of the site, and click/tap on Allow.
    • To edit a site's URL address, click/tap on the More actions (3 dots) button to the right of the site, click/tap on Edit, type the new URL address, and click/tap on Save.
    • To remove a site from the Muted list, click/tap on the More actions (3 dots) button to the right of the site, and click/tap on Remove.

8. Add, Block, Edit, or Remove Sites in Allow List
    A) Perform the actions below you want to do: (see screenshots below)
    • To add a site to the Allow list, click/tap on the Add button, type the site's URL address, and click/tap on Add.
    • To move an allowed site to the Muted list, click/tap on the More actions (3 dots) button to the right of the site, and click/tap on Block.
    • To edit a site's URL address, click/tap on the More actions (3 dots) button to the right of the site, click/tap on Edit, type the new URL address, and click/tap on Save.
    • To remove a site from the Allow list, click/tap on the More actions (3 dots) button to the right of the site, and click/tap on Remove.

9. When finished, you can close the Settings tab.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Rudra Paliwal, Jan 26, 2016
  2. BJM
    bjm Win User

Allow or Block Cookies in Google Chrome in Windows

Hi Brink,
    Yes, cookies resemble items found in SpywareBlaster. I have exercised the #$%^ out of SpywareBlaster to get rid of Chrome Blocked cookies. I posted over on Chrome Help Forum asking whether they're Chrome default.
    No joy.
    I created Person 2 to see if they're in new user (presume) default profile. They're there.

They're not hurting anything, as far as I know.
    I'm just Chrome newbie curious how cookies came to be listed as Blocked.

Thanks
    Regards w Respect

3. Windows blocks sites on google chrome.

I have a child account set up to block certain sites on Microsoft edge with the parental controls. On the family setup site it states that it will only effect internet explorer and Microsoft edge, but it blocks sites on Google chrome as well. I don't want
    it to do this, how can I make it stop effecting Google chrome? I want to use Google chrome's parental controls, as they work better for me.This is on the Microsoft surface 3. I've never had the problem on our home PC.

SarahChase144, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Allow or Block Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome

Block Google Chrome for Child

I have 5 kids to setup content restrictions for. Though I love that Microsoft gives the power to have the safety features it does, the process is RIDICULOUS if you are doing it for more than 1 child!!!

I attempted to setup my 3 younger kids to only have access to a couple of specific websites, but no other sites. During that process I removed Google Chrome from the blocked apps list. What I did not know was that I had to use Microsoft Edge (one of the
    worst browsers ever) to use the feature that only allows certain sites. So now Google Chrome is no longer a blocked app, but yet the site has no way to just add it back.

I looked up how to block an app and was SHOCKED by the official info from Microsoft. See Below. Basically your kid has to use an app before you can add it to the blocked list. Doesn't that defy the purpose of having safety features for a child?

Besides... I used my child's account and opened Chrome, yet it still DID NOT show up in their activity list in order to block it. NOW WHAT?

FROM MICROSOFT

Blocking specific apps is possible with the Microsoft Account's Family Safety Feature. To block a specific application on your child's account, it is a requirement that the app must be used by your child, so that it will appear in under the Recent Activity
    list. For your child's security, you can log in as the child and launch the app to satisfy this requirement.

Follow these steps to successfully block specific applications:

1. Visit the Microsoft Family website and then sign in your Microsoft Account.
    2. Click the account of the child that you want to block from using an app.
    3. Select Recent Activity.
    4. Click to ensure that Activity Reporting is turned on.
    5. Scroll down and look for Apps & Games.
    6. Choose the apps that you want to block on your child's account.
    7. Click Block to block usage of the app.

msquaredonline, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Edwin Win User
    Google Chrome: Block Video Autoplay

Settings -> Advanced options ->Privacy and Security -> Content Settings -> Sound

Edwin, Oct 27, 2019
  6. SKH123 Win User
    Family Safety Not Blocking Websites on Google Chrome

Family safety has suddenly stopped blocking any website on the blocked list when using Google Chrome. It still blocks them on Microsoft Edge but Edge additionally blocks Google websites such as Gmail and Google Docs even though they are on the allowed list.

I have tried removing and adding back the account but it did not help. Any advice on fixing this issue will be much appreciated.

SKH123, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Allow or Block Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome

1. Allow or Block Sites to Play Sound in Google Chrome - Similar Threads - Allow Block Sites

2. Is Microsoft blocking Google Chrome?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is Microsoft blocking Google Chrome?: I do not use Edge or Bing and after a recent invasive update from the former, I cannot open Google Chrome. Chrome flashes on and then immediately closes down. Is Microsoft blocking its use? I need to get Chrome back, I've tried removing and re-installing, to no avail. I need...
  3. How to allow or block sensors for specific sites on Chrome

in Windows 10 News
    How to allow or block sensors for specific sites on Chrome: [ATTACH]If your computer has a sensor, there is a high chance that Google Chrome is already using is to customize your user experience. In most cases, you can find that a Motion sensor is used by most websites. However, if you want to block sensors for specific sites on...
  4. Google Chrome blocked

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Google Chrome blocked: Hi! Every time I try to open google chrome, it keeps on saying that I need permission. I selected the "ask email" option, but I checked all of my emails within my family and none of them receive an email from you guys yet. Also I don't know why I'm having this problem now....
  5. Google Chrome blocked

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Google Chrome blocked: Google Chrome has been blocked by Windows 10 Pro April 2021 updates. I worked with Dell technical support for several hours, and they concluded it was the Windows update that is causing the problem....
  6. allow google chrome

allow google chrome: Hi, My son had to restore his computer and now 'Microsoft family features' is on it which is requiring me to approve his download of google chrome??? And when I follow the steps to approve nothing happens and he has to ask for permission again. There is nothing in...
  7. Google Chrome Site issues

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome Site issues: I've had this problem for several months I believe but just never really took the time to figure it out. Full disclosure, I do not work for T-mobile, nor am I advertising for them. I'm simply using their site as an example. Basically, I would go to this site, fill out the...
  8. Google Chrome - Always Blocked

Google Chrome - Always Blocked: In Microsoft Family Setting, under "Content Restrictions", Google Chrome was originally part of the list of "Always Blocked". It has been removed. How do I get Google Chrome back on the list?...
  9. Allow or Block Website Notifications in Google Chrome in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Block Website Notifications in Google Chrome in Windows: How to: Allow or Block Website Notifications in Google Chrome in Windows How to Allow or Block Website Notifications in Google Chrome in Windows Some websites can show notifications on your computer desktop. By default, Google Chrome asks you if a site can show...
  10. Allow or Block Cookies in Google Chrome in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Block Cookies in Google Chrome in Windows: How to: Allow or Block Cookies in Google Chrome in Windows How to Allow or Block Cookies in Google Chrome in Windows Cookies are small files that websites put on your PC to store information about you and your preferences. Cookies can make your browsing experience...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. allow or block sites to play sound in google chrome