Windows 10: An App Default was Reset notification opens Settings - no information

Discus and support An App Default was Reset notification opens Settings - no information in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, Action Centre has occasionally displayed one or several "An App Default was Reset /An app caused a problem with the default app" notifications.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by dalchina, Aug 11, 2017.

1. dalchina New Member

An App Default was Reset notification opens Settings - no information

Hi, Action Centre has occasionally displayed one or several
    "An App Default was Reset /An app caused a problem with the default app"
    notifications.

Clicking such a notification simply opens Settings.

This I find particularly unhelpful.

Have you seen this, and is there any way of finding out what actually happened? Thanks.

:)

dalchina, Aug 11, 2017

2. notification saying 'An App Default was reset' coming frequently about all video/audio file types !!

Today I connected my external hard drive to my PC and after a while these alerts started showing on the right bottom as shown in the screenshots.. saying 'App Default was reset' !!! I thought it was maybe some issue with my KMPlayer or something so I uninstalled
    it.. also I uninstalled VLC... but still more alerts keep coming for each video/ audio format !! When I click on that notification it takes us to the main 'Settings' and that's it !!! Is this something I should worry about ? (Also note that I have scanned
    my external drive and there are no viruses !!)

An App Default was Reset notification opens Settings - no information [​IMG]

its Benoy here, Aug 11, 2017
  3. Arul_D Win User
    notification saying 'An App Default was reset' coming frequently about all video/audio file types !!

Hello,

I would suggest you to choose a default app to open files each time you would like to access and make Windows understand your actions.

Please refer to: Choose the apps Windows uses by default (information holds
    good for Windows 10 as well)

If the default app resets again, place the computer in clean boot state and check.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note:
    Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Arul_D, Aug 11, 2017
  4. merkxr Win User

Have you installed anything just prior to the time you got the notification? The only time I have seen this is when I install a software that will change the Windows default app. An example is if I install Adobe Reader on a PC when I'm done I get that message. And clicking on the notification does go to Settings. It doesn't say "which" app was reset, but that is the only answer I can see is fitting. If this is not the case then it's tough to say what caused the notification.

merkxr, Aug 11, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 12, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi Brink- thanks.. it's something I've only seen about 3 times altogether, but the last time was triggered when I made a small change- not an installation. I received about 5 such notification messages in the Action Centre simultaneously.

A couple of obscure media associations were reset to Films and TV - so it seems your tutorial looks helpful - as always! *Smile

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. An App Default was Reset notification opens Settings - no information - Similar Threads - App Default was

2. Default apps settings resets on every restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default apps settings resets on every restart.: I recently upgraded my Lenovo Think Centre desktop to Windows 11 from Windows 10. I altered the default app settings for Chrome, Acrobat Reader, etc., but every time I restart my computer, they are reset. I've tried some of the forum-recommended fixes, including...
  3. Default apps settings resets on every restart.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps settings resets on every restart.: I recently upgraded my Lenovo Think Centre desktop to Windows 11 from Windows 10. I altered the default app settings for Chrome, Acrobat Reader, etc., but every time I restart my computer, they are reset. I've tried some of the forum-recommended fixes, including...
  4. "An app default has reset" notifications after resetting Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    "An app default has reset" notifications after resetting Windows 10: After resetting my HP laptop, it shows the "an app default has reset" notifications after doing tasks such as opening Edge for the first time, opening a PDF file for the first time, etc. I can seem to use the laptop normally despite the annoying notifications, so these could...
  5. Over 20 notifications default app has been reset

Over 20 notifications default app has been reset: I have been creating Windows 10 images for a while now. I have my set way of doing it. Recently, when a user signs on for the first time, there are over 20 notifications that a default app has been reset. So I clear all notifications and go to Settings > Apps feature >...
  6. An app default was reset notification error on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    An app default was reset notification error on Windows 10: [ATTACH]Some Windows 10 PC users might be faced with the An app default was reset loop notifications popping up in the Action Center. You’ll notice the […] This article An app default was reset notification error on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Over 20 notifications default app has been reset

in Windows 10 Support
    Over 20 notifications default app has been reset: I have been creating Windows 10 images for a while now. I have my set way of doing it. Recently, when a user signs on for the first time, there are over 20 notifications that a default app has been reset. So I clear all notifications and go to Settings > Apps feature >...
  8. "An App Default was Reset"

"An App Default was Reset": I would like to prevent Win10 from resetting my default apps for a given file extension. Either the chance to approve any changes to my default apps, such as we had in previous Windows versions, or to find the app reset "feature" and break it beyond repair disable it...
  9. Can't set default apps to open filetypes

Can't set default apps to open filetypes: It is completely impossible for me to change or set a default program for any files. The "Open With" window doesn't function and the "Choose default apps by file type" just freezes and doesn't change any time I set a default program....
  10. Can not open Windows settings and default apps

Can not open Windows settings and default apps: Hi, today i have updated from W7 to W10 on my Lenovo Z580. Now I can not open settings and Windows10 apps like Calendar, Edge,... (and calculator as well - "Explorer.exe element not found"). Tried Emerging Issue 67758 fix but it didnt find any issue. Can you please help me?...