Windows 10: Macrium Reflect - Create a Rescue Partition

Discus and support Macrium Reflect - Create a Rescue Partition in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Macrium Reflect - Create a Rescue Partition This tutorial will show how to create a small Macrium Reflect Recovery Partition and add it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Macrium Reflect - Create a Rescue Partition

How to: Macrium Reflect - Create a Rescue Partition

This tutorial will show how to create a small Macrium Reflect Recovery Partition and add it to Windows 10 Boot Menu. In case of emergency, user can boot to Macrium Rescue environment and fix Windows boot issues, or restore a Reflect backup image.

Tutorial requires Macrium Reflect (any edition) being installed. Macrium Reflect Free download:

Download

1. Create Macrium Rescue ISO
    1.1 Open Macrium Reflect. Select Create Rescue Media in Other Tasks menu, select ISO File, select location to save ISO file, click Build:

Macrium Reflect - Create a Rescue Partition [​IMG]

(Click screenshots to enlarge.)

1.2 Create a small partition (at least 1 GB, recommended 2 GB) on any internal HDD or SSD. If you do not have available space on any disk, you can shrink an existing partition and use the freed space (tutorial).

If you have more than one internal disks, it is recommended that you create the Rescue partition on a secondary disk, not the same disk where Windows is installed. Format the partition as NTFS.

Partition name and letter can be whatever you'd prefer.

1.3 Mount the Macrium Rescue ISO (right click ISO file, select Mount). In File Explorer, copy all content of mounted ISO to the new Macrium Rescue partition you created. In my case now, the mounted ISO got drive letter J: and small partition I created is drive R:

2. Add Macrium Rescue to Boot Menu
    2.1 Copy the following batch code, paste it in Notepad or any other text or code editor:

@ECHO OFF
    TITLE Add Macrium Rescue to Windows boot menu
    :SETLETTER
    CLS
    ECHO.
    ECHO ###################################################
    ECHO #
    ECHO # This batch file creates Macrium Rescue
    ECHO # environment adding it to Windows boot menu.
    ECHO #
    ECHO ###################################################
    ECHO.
    bcdedit /create {ramdiskoptions} /d "Ramdisk"
    bcdedit /set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdidevice partition=R:
    bcdedit /set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath \boot\boot.sdi
    for /f "tokens=2 delims={}" %%i in ('bcdedit.exe /create /d "Macrium Rescue" /application OSLOADER') do (set guid={%%i})
    bcdedit /set %guid% device ramdisk=[R:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}
    bcdedit /set %guid% path \windows\system32\winload.efi
    bcdedit /set %guid% osdevice ramdisk=[R:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}
    bcdedit /set %guid% systemroot \windows
    bcdedit /set %guid% winpe yes
    bcdedit /set %guid% detecthal yes
    bcdedit /displayorder %guid% /addlast
    ECHO.
    ECHO Macrium Rescue added to Windows boot menu.
    ECHO.
    pause

2.2 Edit the batch file according to your needs:
    • Three lines in blue font contain the drive letter for new Rescue partition, in my case R:
    • Line in red font contains the label for boot menu entry, in my case Macrium Rescue
    • Line in green font, winload.efi is for UEFI systems with GPT disks. Change it to winload.exe if your PC is a BIOS system with MBR disks
    2.3 Save the batch file as Rescue.bat. Alternatively, you can download the batch file from my OneDrive. If downloading, remember to unblock the file before using it (tutorial):

Download

2.4 Open an elevated Command Prompt (tutorial), run the batch file. Alternatively, right click it and select Run as administrator. Macrium Rescue environment will be added to Windows Boot Menu:

2.5 You can now remove the drive letter from the recue partition to hide it.

2.6 You can now select to boot to Macrium Rescue from Windows Boot Menu:

That's it!

Kari

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 23, 2018
  2. Porthos Win User

Macrium already has that feature bulit in to it. Any reason to go thru the other steps? Or am I missing something?

Porthos, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Kari Win User

Done.

Did one over a year ago: Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition

Let's make something clear. I never knew what Kyhi's rescue disk is before Martin mentioned it. I have seen the thread, but nothing in original post even remotely hints about it using similar script . Also, nothing in that original post hints about creating a rescue partition on internal HDD. Furthermore, it is not in Tutorials, not a tutorial. It's a sticky thread.

Usually, when making a tutorial, I search the Tutorials section to see that the tut I have on my mind does not exist. If not, I then write one. Last summer, writing the custom recovery partition tut, I could not find anything similar in Tutorials. There was no Custom Recovery Partition or Macrium Rescue Partition tutorials, so I wrote them, they both use the same script I have used from first days of Windows 10:

Checking the dates when Kyhi's rescue sticky and my Factory Recovery tutorial have been created:

You guys have something to complain, do it properly.

4. cereberus Win User

That feature boots from files stored on C drive. If C drive gets corrupted, it will not work. The method shown is independent. Takes less space as well.

cereberus, Oct 27, 2019
  5. cereberus Win User

It was only a joke, my dear friend. Absolutely no offence intended. I humbly apologise.

cereberus, Oct 27, 2019
  6. cereberus Win User

Hi @Kari,

I suggest you add an optional final step to remove the drive letter (R in your case) so Macrium Partition is hidden from File Explorer, minimising risk of accidental overwriting or file deletion.

As a second observation, the tutorial you have created works for Windows 10 installers as well - maybe you would like to add a comment on that as well, or copy and make a second tutorial?

Cheers

M.

cereberus, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect - Create a Rescue Partition - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Create

2. Macrium Reflect V7.2.4952 Can't creat rescue media

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect V7.2.4952 Can't creat rescue media: Win ver 18363.836. For months now I have been trying to create rescue media on CD with macrium reflect. Macrium stopped helping me after 3 email exchanges. They just stopped answering, ignoring one important question. Macrium window indicates it will download a 205K file from...
  3. Creating rescue media with Macrium Reflect

Creating rescue media with Macrium Reflect: I just ran Macrium Reflect to build rescue media on a Windows 10 laptop. In Other Tasks -> Create Rescue Media, I selected Windows Boot Menu, checked Add boot menu, and clicked Build. After the operation ended successfully, I looked to see if Macrium had created a new...
  4. Creating rescue media for Macrium Reflect

Creating rescue media for Macrium Reflect: hi, Does Macrium clean USB flash drive before creating rescue media? 114295
  5. Macrium Reflect /rescue media

Macrium Reflect /rescue media: Hi, Do I have to create a new rescue media (USB) for every Windows 10 machines I have, or is the first I created valid for all the others? 112784
  6. Macrium reflect rescue usb problem

Macrium reflect rescue usb problem: Though this belongs to Win 7 32 bit but I think people here may have answer to my problem. I created a Macrium USB pen drive (fat 16 formatted) but PC is not booting this pen drive and error comes up - operating system missing). PC first boot device is my pen drive. 28084
  7. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi, I recently created a rescue media as I wanted to backup Windows 10 Fall creators update. After creating the rescue media to pen drive i backed up the partion of windows drive. What I noticed later that all my internal drives are now are removable or ejectable....
  8. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi i have a desktop PC with Windows 10 home. i have created the Macrium Reflect rescue media on USB. ( I have used it to restore images and works fine ). i have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 Pro, i have created an image of the disc using Macrium Reflect and saved it...
  9. Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive failure

Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive failure: Macrium rescue USB stick doesn't find the Precision Touchpad, rescue media loads without the cursor, I can not use the CD as my laptop doesn't have the DVD drive, any help is much appreciated. 68296
  10. Problems creating a rescue media for Macrium Reflect

Problems creating a rescue media for Macrium Reflect: Hello again, On creating a USB rescue media the following error message popped up: The USB disk contains the maximum number of partitions allowed. Please try a different USB disk or remove partitions. The USB stick I wanted for the rescue media is a 16 GB Lexar and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. create recovery partition macruim

2. nu vot