Windows 10: Any JPEG download crashes Win10, no other action triggers crash.

Discus and support Any JPEG download crashes Win10, no other action triggers crash. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; As the title states, if I "Save As" or "Save Image" on ANY .jpg or .jpeg file on the Web, moments after the download completes Windows 10 crashes. What... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JustinDemoude, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Any JPEG download crashes Win10, no other action triggers crash.

As the title states, if I "Save As" or "Save Image" on ANY .jpg or .jpeg file on the Web, moments after the download completes Windows 10 crashes. What I mean is the screen first freezes, then goes black while an electronic buzz rings and doesn't stop until I turn off the PC. And this is the only condition necessary to produce the crash, no other task or command is required. And it only happens when downloading a .jpg/.jpeg, not on .gif files or .png files; no other image or file formats produces this crash.

I have tried different browsers (IE, Edge, Chrome and its variations, Firefox and its variations, Opera, Vivaldi, etc.), different default applications for opening images and various Windows commands and settings in File Explorer and in Command Prompt as an administrator, and other settings commonly available by Googling the issue in a number of different wording and searching in several online forums; and nothing solves.

The only other solution I can think of is to re-install Win10 but I'd rather not do it. The offender is an HP Pavillion laptop (HP 17-g121wm) standard from the factory with 8gb of DDR3, an A10-8770P with the latest R6 Adrenaline drivers for both graphics and the chipset. I'm running Win10 1709 and using BitDefender Total Security 2018. (Do you have enough to hack me yet?) I'd rather not reinstall Win10 because the initial upgrade to 1709 took TWO DAYS to complete (yes, it is a known R6 bug) so I think you can understand my reluctance.

I've uploaded the diagnostic log and am hoping someone out there is familiar with this issue. So if you can hear me don't be bashful, just step up and show off your knowledge, and thank you in advance!

:)

JustinDemoude, Mar 2, 2018
  2. Mr.NK Win User

Groove Music Crashing

Nothing helped. It is crashing on two different systems (one Win10 regular on a Desktop-PC, the other on Win10-Insider Slow-Ring running on a Laptop), while trying to log-in. I assume it crashes when it receives some sort of response to this action.

Mr.NK, Mar 2, 2018
  3. Lex Del Win User
    Messenger app not working

Hi,

An application crash can happen immediately upon launching the app, crash randomly in the middle of using the app, or sometimes a crash can even be triggered predictably by a particular action that is attempted within the application.

Based on the information you have provided, we would like to know the following:

• Which phone model are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

We're looking forward to your response.

Lex Del, Mar 2, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Any JPEG download crashes Win10, no other action triggers crash.

Welcome to the forum. You have upload a .VBS file which is a script that no one will open as it may be a virus

Samuria, Mar 3, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    Having cautiously opened it with Notepad it appear to be a well-known script for creating a zip file. I've found it posted on StackOverflow amongst other places. I suspect @JustinDemoude may have used it to zip the diagnostic log and accidentally uploaded the script instead of the log.

It certainly is of no help in diagnosing the problem *Smile

What would be of help is to follow the: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

Bree, Mar 3, 2018
  6. Apologies to all around, MY BAD...

attached is the correct file, and again apologies for my error,

DankeschoenAny JPEG download crashes Win10, no other action triggers crash. :cool:

JustinDemoude, Mar 3, 2018
  7. philc43 Win User
    Hi JustinDemoude

The crash file shows that it was a hardware error.

The eventlog also has lots of disk errors showing and also an AMD Northbridge error.

Code: 2018-03-03T12:07:53.946 An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging operation. 2018-03-03T12:07:54.966 An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging operation. 2018-03-03T12:07:55.449 An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging operation. 2018-03-03T12:09:09.451 A fatal hardware error has occurred.Component: AMD NorthbridgeError Source: Machine Check ExceptionError Type: HyperTransport Watchdog Timeout ErrorProcessor APIC ID: 0The details view of this entry contains further information.[/quote] The machine check exception error reported for the hardware 0x124 bugcheck also suggests a problem with the BUS.

Code: 1: kd> !errrec ffffbc83c7a6f8f8 =============================================================================== Common Platform Error Record @ ffffbc83c7a6f8f8 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Record Id : 01d3b312210507b1 Severity : Fatal (1) Length : 928 Creator : Microsoft Notify Type : Machine Check Exception Timestamp : 3/3/2018 17:07:42 (UTC) Flags : 0x00000002 PreviousError =============================================================================== Section 0 : Processor Generic ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Descriptor @ ffffbc83c7a6f978 Section @ ffffbc83c7a6fa50 Offset : 344 Length : 192 Flags : 0x00000001 Primary Severity : Fatal Proc. Type : x86/x64 Instr. Set : x64 Error Type : BUS error Operation : Generic Flags : 0x00 Level : 3 CPU Version : 0x0000000000660f01 Processor ID : 0x0000000000000000 =============================================================================== Section 1 : x86/x64 Processor Specific ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Descriptor @ ffffbc83c7a6f9c0 Section @ ffffbc83c7a6fb10 Offset : 536 Length : 128 Flags : 0x00000000 Severity : Fatal Local APIC Id : 0x0000000000000000 CPU Id : 01 0f 66 00 00 08 04 00 - 0b 32 d8 3e ff fb 8b 17 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 Proc. Info 0 @ ffffbc83c7a6fb10 =============================================================================== Section 2 : x86/x64 MCA ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Descriptor @ ffffbc83c7a6fa08 Section @ ffffbc83c7a6fb90 Offset : 664 Length : 264 Flags : 0x00000000 Severity : Fatal Error : BUSLG_GENERIC_ERR_*_TIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 4) Status : 0xf600000000070f0f Address : 0x00000000fe8fc01c Misc. : 0x0000000000000000[/quote]
    It looks like the motherboard could be a problem. Begin by making sure your BIOS settings are all correct to rule out any problems caused by incorrect setup.

philc43, Mar 3, 2018
  8. Any JPEG download crashes Win10, no other action triggers crash.

The BIOS was updated by HP last year to accomodate the new 1709 Win update. I also like to to maximize the amount of memory in the video setting. I'll bring it back to optimized defaults and see if that helps, and if that doesn't I'll need to contact HP.

I appreciate your help and thank you very, very much.

JustinDemoude, Mar 3, 2018
  9. zbook New Member
    In addition to philc43 comments about the BUS / Motherboard please perform the following steps:

1) Download and install the latest HP UEFI diagnostics: Version 6.6.2.0
    HP PC Hardware Diagnostics | HP® Official Site

2) Late this evening power on the computer and repetitively click the F2 key
    This should open the HP UEFI diagnostics.
    Run the loop until failure test.
    The next day if it has made 2 or more loops press the escape key on the keyboard to abort the test. View the results in the HP BIOS UEFI log to confirm the pass.
    If there is a fail the testing is designed to abort. The next day you would see an error code that only HP can decode. The testing will be incomplete. Most often there is some information about what failed. There are component tests and the motherboard is the quickest test.

There were multiple bugchecks:
    3B
    1E

The logs displayed drive corruption, I/O retried, and paging errors.
    Windows fast startup failed.
    The graphics driver stopped responding and recovered.

3) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    4) chkdsk /x /f /r
    Run this overnight as it may take many hours.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /x /f /r
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type: Y
    reboot

5) Use the information in this link to find the chkdsk report in the event viewer. Copy and paste > notepad > save to desktop > post into the thread:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

6) Run HD Tune:
    HD Tune website
    Post images of the results of each of these tabs:
    a) Health (SMART)
    b) Benchmark
    c) Full error scan

7) Turn off Windows fast startup:
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

8) For any BSOD please use the BETA log collector (extract > open)
    log collector v2-beta08.zip

Code: Event[18689]: Log Name: System Source: Ntfs Date: 2018-02-14T01:41:53.981 Event ID: 55 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: KT94HOU Description: A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C:.The exact nature of the corruption is unknown. The file system structures need to be scanned and fixed offline.[/quote] Code: Event[25311]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs Date: 2018-02-19T04:53:45.840 Event ID: 140 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: KT94HOU Description: The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: F:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume61.(A device which does not exist was specified.)[/quote] Code: Event[29303]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2018-03-03T15:06:58.758 Event ID: 51 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: KT94HOU Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging operation.[/quote] Code: Event[28644]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2018-03-01T14:23:04.360 Event ID: 153 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: KT94HOU Description: The IO operation at logical block address 0x41716a0 for Disk 2 (PDO name: \Device\00000054) was retried.[/quote] Code: Event[29168]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot Date: 2018-03-03T12:45:14.927 Event ID: 29 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: KT94HOU Description: Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.[/quote] Code: Event[25153]: Log Name: System Source: Display Date: 2018-02-18T15:05:16.378 Event ID: 4101 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: KT94HOU Description: Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.[/quote]

zbook, Mar 3, 2018
  10. (The quote below is edited for content*Smile

This looks very helpful; I will give it a go later tonight.

And thank you for your insight, it is greatly appreciated.

JustinDemoude, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Any JPEG download crashes Win10, no other action triggers crash.

1. Any JPEG download crashes Win10, no other action triggers crash. - Similar Threads - JPEG download crashes

2. Win10 Crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Crash: Hello!I was playing Rimworld via Steam two nights ago when my computer BSOD'd, not just once but over and over, but seldom with the same message twice in a row. Over the course of several boot cycles as it attempted to restart I saw "Critical Process Died", "Kmode Exception...
  3. Win10 Crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Crash: Hello!I was playing Rimworld via Steam two nights ago when my computer BSOD'd, not just once but over and over, but seldom with the same message twice in a row. Over the course of several boot cycles as it attempted to restart I saw "Critical Process Died", "Kmode Exception...
  4. Win10 Crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Win10 Kernel Crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Kernel Crash: Hi,I have a user-mode C++ app that reliably hangs/crashes my machine after several hours.It used to just hang, requiring a power off.After upgrading to Visual Studio 2022, it actually crashes the machine and leaves a memory.dmp.Unfortunately, the info displayed by WinDbg...
  6. Win10 Kernel Crash

Win10 Kernel Crash: Hi,I have a user-mode C++ app that reliably hangs/crashes my machine after several hours.It used to just hang, requiring a power off.After upgrading to Visual Studio 2022, it actually crashes the machine and leaves a memory.dmp.Unfortunately, the info displayed by WinDbg...
  7. Bluescreen crashes on Win10

Bluescreen crashes on Win10: I've had a series of blue screen crashes, with no discernible pattern: sometime typing, sometime gaming, sometimes browsing YouTube. Anytime of day or length of use. It's always a sudden stop followed by a forced auto-reboot, happen almost daily at this point, sometimes...
  8. BSOD and other crashes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD and other crashes: My computer crashes frequently with BSOD. Application crashes occur more frequently . I've been trying to figure out what the problem is. I have run driver verify and have uploaded minidump folder and my system info. I'm not sure how to read this information if someone could...
  9. Win10 crash

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 crash: Microsoft crash Hallo ich brauch hilfe Mein window 10 ist beim update gecrasht ging nichts mehr. Konnte nicht mal mehr starten nur in dem zwischen menü rumspielen nicht mal der abgesicherte modus wurde gestartet, System zurück setzten ging, half aber nichts Ich konnte via cd...
  10. Multiple freezes and crashes - no real trigger

Multiple freezes and crashes - no real trigger: Hello My PC has recently started to freeze and reboot itsself randomly, I can't figure out what is causing the issue since there are no error messages etc after. I have uploaded the diagnostics dump files 36595