Windows 10: Any way to force max CPU frequency only when running a specific App?

Discus and support Any way to force max CPU frequency only when running a specific App? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running into problems running a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) because of CPU speed changes. Every time the CPU clocks down I get a big pause in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rgames, Sep 1, 2017.

1. rgames Win User

Any way to force max CPU frequency only when running a specific App?

I'm running into problems running a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) because of CPU speed changes. Every time the CPU clocks down I get a big pause in the audio. So I'd like to keep the CPU speed fixed at its max when using that app.

I know I can adjust the CPU frequency settings in the Windows power settings but I only want it to be maximum when running that one app. I'd like to leave the CPU speed adjustable when running other apps.

Is there any way to tell Windows to do that automatically?

Thanks,

:)

rgames, Sep 1, 2017

2. Nokia 6120c Real CPU Speed

6120c is based on Freescale's MXC300-30 platform and its CPU's frequency is 369MHz MAX. The reason why there is a MAX is that CPU will turn the frequency lower when idle, so many applications will report its frequency is only about 200MHz, that's normal.

BTW: Softwares always make many mistakes, so do not rely on them too much.

fineday---01, Sep 1, 2017
  3. Windows 10 CPU constantly at 100% usage

Thanks for the reply Commander Keen!

CPU info : i7 7700HQ - 3.8Ghz Max Turbo boost.

I was not running anything and the only process taking up the entire CPU was System Idle Process.

My solve:

--------------------

I did a system restore to yesterday.

CPU was at normal levels at boot-up. Then I went to make my own Power Plan, just to trace my process to the stuff-up.

After entering different Min and Max CPU states and Frequencies in my custom Power Plan the CPU would ramp up to maximum frequency and state again. Crap, then I selected the Balanced State and it quiet down again to normal levels.

I was going through all the Power Plans whilst running CPUID Hardware monitor, to check frequencies and Cinebench to test the Max boost frequency of each Power Plan.

-------------------

What I noticed:

-------------------

If you make changes to ANY Power Plan profile regarding Processor Power States, Save and then Reset to Default, it runs the CPU at MAX state and frequency from then on.

Prior to System Restore I reset all the Power Profiles in a hope to get the CPU out of MAX state, that just made it irreversible and I had to Sys Restore to properly reset those Power Profiles.

-------------------

It could be that my system board and windows don't gel all that well. Or that the new Windows 10 Creators Update has a power bug.

Anyways , I am now running with Balanced for normal PC use and noticed High Performance gives me MAX Boost frequencies and settles down if not pressed.

Hope this helps someone else down the road somehow.

ErikKruger, Sep 1, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Any way to force max CPU frequency only when running a specific App? - Similar Threads - force max CPU

2. The specific app runs only if I run it as an administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The specific app runs only if I run it as an administrator: I have a TAC app from IBM and installed it recently for a user. If I double-click on the icon, nothing happens, but if I choose to run it as administrator, it will run. Can anyone advise me on how I can solve the issue?...
  3. CPU running at max frequency

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU running at max frequency: To lead off, nothing on my system is overclocked and the cpu has a min process state of 20%. So I unplugged my PC the other day to clean up around it and have had nothing but issues since getting it back together. Outside of an issue with my wifi adapter that fixed itself, my...
  4. CPU running at max frequency

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU running at max frequency: To lead off, nothing on my system is overclocked and the cpu has a min process state of 20%. So I unplugged my PC the other day to clean up around it and have had nothing but issues since getting it back together. Outside of an issue with my wifi adapter that fixed itself, my...
  5. Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency: HP Zbook G5, equipped with i7-8850H. Windows 10 Enterprise, version 21H2, build 19044.1620. BIOS and all driver up-to-date at the time of this writing. DISM and SFC clean.Even though CPU utilization settles down to low single digits, the CPU "Speed" in Task Manager always...
  6. Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency: HP Zbook G5, equipped with i7-8850H. Windows 10 Enterprise, version 21H2, build 19044.1620. BIOS and all driver up-to-date at the time of this writing. DISM and SFC clean.Even though CPU utilization settles down to low single digits, the CPU "Speed" in Task Manager always...
  7. Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Is there any way to keep an app playing at max volume?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to keep an app playing at max volume?: There's an app which I use and keep running that plays a sound whenever I press a key (i like the sound and it gives confirmation of input) however it gets a little quiet when I turn the volume of my computer down. Is there any way that I can have this app ignore my volume...
  9. Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager: Hi, I'm overclocking my Intel 8700k to 5Ghz and every time I check the current frequency in task manager the max is constantly changing. I have high-performance power settings on windows enabled and I have also disabled CPU state and Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS. I also...
  10. Is there any way to force more resources to an app?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is there any way to force more resources to an app?: I have a new backup drive (WD MyCloud) and new software to backup a large amount of data (1.5TB). the process is progressing extremely slow (only about 20 GB/day). When I look at task manager I see that little or no GPU and only 14% of memory being used. Is there some...