Windows 10: Any way to get the Windows Photo Viewer & Windows Live Photo Gallery?

Discus and support Any way to get the Windows Photo Viewer & Windows Live Photo Gallery? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently purchased a new laptop (Dell Inspirion 17 5000 series) and I am so upset to see that Windows 10 does not have the Windows Photo Viewer or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by samantha5986, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Any way to get the Windows Photo Viewer & Windows Live Photo Gallery?

I recently purchased a new laptop (Dell Inspirion 17 5000 series) and I am so upset to see that Windows 10 does not have the Windows Photo Viewer or the Windows Live Photo Gallery- these two programs offer ways of printing photos (such as printing 2 4x6 or 5x7 pics on one page) and simple/quick one click enhancement features that I cannot find anywhere else! The Microsoft photo viewer that came with the PC is useless - it has no options or features! Help please or suggestions!!!!*Sad

:)

samantha5986, Mar 24, 2016

2. Cannot easily open .JPG, png, and a couple other image files

Thanks for the helpful reply Sayan_Ghosh, but sadly, these steps did not solve my problem.

However I have found a small problem with "Windows Photo Viewer" which I believe is the culprit. If I am not mistaken, "Windows Photo viewer" was installed with windows 10. So when I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10, I now have "Windows Live Photo Gallery"
    as well as "Windows Photo Viewer" (completely unnecessary).

But now for the problem I discovered. If I try to open .bmp images, they will open exactly as they should when double clicked, but .jpg will do nothing. So I looked at the default file types that "Windows Live Photo Gallery" could open versus what "Windows
    Photo Viewer" could open and I noticed that .bmp cannot be opened by "Windows Photo Viewer" but can be opened by "Windows Live Photo Gallery," and .bmp's open just fine. Then I noticed .jpg's can be opened by both programs, and they will not open normally.

Therefore, I decided to set "Windows Photo Viewer" as my default program to see if this would fix the issue. That's when I noticed the glaring problem, "Windows Photo Viewer" would not be set as the default, even when I explicitly checked each file type to
    be opened with "Windows Photo Viewer." (I would save changes then reopen to double check that it would still be recognized as the default, and it wouldn't be, i.e. everything I checked would be unchecked).

I haven't tried uninstalling "Windows Photo Viewer" yet, because I wanted to see if anybody else has any comments on the best route to take. Thus, Microsoft Community, let me know if I am better off without "Windows Photo Viewer" or "Windows Live Photo Gallery."

ExecutiveE33, Mar 24, 2016
  3. RC2100-2 Win User
    Windows 10 Photo Viewer - SLOW - SLOW - SLOW

My Windows 10 (and Windows Photo Viewer) was running fine for the past 10 months until the late Sept 2016 updates. Then "poof" - welcome to SLOW, SLOW Photo Viewer. Thanks Windows 10 update. Several people have suggested fixes in the registry under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Photo Viewer\Viewer

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live\ Photo Viewer\Viewer

The problem is that I have NO folder named "Windows Photo Viewer" or "Windows Live" or their sub-folders. So I have to assume that the Windows 10 update wiped them out.

So I can tinker with the registry (risky) or find another default photo viewer. Or maybe it is time to become an Apple user.

RC2100-2, Mar 24, 2016
  4. Any way to get the Windows Photo Viewer & Windows Live Photo Gallery?

Yeah the default app isn't great. The old photo viewer can be enabled if you did an upgrade from 7 I believe. I think those with a clean install of 10 are bang out of luck though. I'm sure Brink posted a tutorial on how to do it but I'll need to dig around

Scottyboy99, Mar 24, 2016
  5. Scottyboy99, Mar 24, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Windows (Live) Photo Gallery comes with Windows Essentials as a package. ( MS has removed the word "Live" ).
    Do you have Windows Essentials installed ?
    The package includes Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Writer, OneDrive.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/essentials

davidhk, Mar 24, 2016
  7. Scottyboy99,
    Thank you for your response. However I didnt upgrade to Wndows 10, I actually bought a new laptop that came with Windows 10 so I dont think I can retrieve the app since it was never on my pc.

samantha5986, Apr 26, 2016
  8. Any way to get the Windows Photo Viewer & Windows Live Photo Gallery?

Davidhk,

Thank you so much for the link, i am going to try it now!!!!

samantha5986, Apr 26, 2016
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    Samantha... all versions of Windows 10 still have a fully working Windows Photo Viewer in their complicated structures, but it's hidden. That is why Scottyboy pointed you to this link:

Windows Photo Viewer - Restore in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Download the registry plug-in and allow Windows 10 to merge it, then right-click any picture image file, and select preview to open that and any other picture files in that folder in the Windows 10 Photo Viewer.

Microsoft have their reasons to bury successful and well loved software in favour of modern and lacklustre offerings like Photos for Windows 10, but a lot of people cannot really see the reason why.

Fafhrd, Apr 26, 2016
  10. Superfly Win User
    Yay! Faffy - well done on the badge bud! (Sorry, I know there's a separate thread but just chuffed that he's got recognition)

Superfly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Any way to get the Windows Photo Viewer & Windows Live Photo Gallery?

1. Any way to get the Windows Photo Viewer & Windows Live Photo Gallery? - Similar Threads - Photo Viewer Live

2. Is there any way to get Windows 7 Photo Viewer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to get Windows 7 Photo Viewer?: Is there any legit way to get back Windows 7 Photo Viewer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-way-to-get-windows-7-photo-viewer/38497dfb-9381-4770-a975-525dd093f379
  3. Windows Live Photo Gallery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Live Photo Gallery: How do I delete multiple pictures in one go https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-live-photo-gallery/c42f91bf-f7c8-42d6-a97d-5c5f2dcf0a9d
  4. Windows Live Photo Gallery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Live Photo Gallery: How is WLXPhotoGallery related to WindowsLive PhotoGalery? How do I get a free download of WLXPhotoGallery Windows10 to replace my old WindowsLivePhotogallery? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-live-photo-gallery/8b3513bc-1ee4-436b-b1fa-5484982be022
  5. Windows Live Photo Gallery

Windows Live Photo Gallery: Does anyone know if there is a SAFE way to delete photos from live photo gallery that are duplicates other than selecting them 1 at a time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-live-photo-gallery/cb3d64ff-698c-408c-8d43-40610e4c4b61
  6. Editing Photos in Windows Live Photo Gallery

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Editing Photos in Windows Live Photo Gallery: When editing photos in Windows Live Photo Gallery, how can you save an edit after zooming in on the subject. I ask this because I zoomed in on a photo subject but I could not figure out how to save the photo as zoomed. Am I missing something, or is this not possible to do?...
  7. Windows live photo gallery and photo viewer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows live photo gallery and photo viewer: My desktop crashed and performed a recovery. When I did I noticed that Windows live photo gallery and photo viewer are missing. At this point I don't know how to recover these default apps. Can a live agent assist me? I can be reached at 626-388-3903 or at *** Email...
  8. Windows Live Photo Gallery

Windows Live Photo Gallery: Help! I've just found that Windows Live Photo Gallery is no longer supported. I have thousands of photos residing there. Should I move them to a new location? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-live-photo-gallery/aba456d7-56bb-4f2c-a235-15b59698dbb1"
  9. Windows Live Photo Gallery

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Live Photo Gallery: I cannot find Live Photo Gallery. I understand it is no longer available. Do I have other options for photo fuse? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-live-photo-gallery/0aff1cc1-f85d-44ae-bd0d-8caa46b6d488
  10. Windows Live Photo Gallery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Live Photo Gallery: I have just bought an ASus Vivobook and believed it to have Windows live hoto gallery on board Win 10 it is much better than other simple editors I cant find it 1 is there and how do I find it? 2 if not there how do I download it and from where? This is very...