Windows 10: Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

Discus and support Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10 How to Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10 Usually you could use Windows Photo Viewer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by heyyahblah, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

How to: Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

How to Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

Usually you could use Windows Photo Viewer to view your image files in a variety of ways. You can also print, order prints, attach pictures to an e‑mail message, burn, or open photos in another app on your PC.

Windows 10 uses the Photos app as the default app to open image files with instead now. By default, Windows Photo Viewer is no longer listed in Open with, and only has .tiff files associated with it in Default Programs.

This tutorial will show you how to restore Windows Photo Viewer to be able to select to open image files in Default apps, Default Programs, and Open with for only your account or all users in Windows 10.

You may have to restore Windows Photo Viewer again after every quality or feature update from Windows Update.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Only Restore Windows Photo Viewer for Current Account
    • Option Two: (recommended) To Restore Windows Photo Viewer for All Accounts

EXAMPLE: Default and Restored Windows Photo Viewer

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Only Restore Windows Photo Viewer for Current Account
    This option will only affect the account that you are currently signed in to.

1 Do step 2 (restore) or step 3 (undo) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Restore Windows Photo Viewer for Only Your Account
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Restore_Windows_Photo_Viewer_CURRENT_USER.reg

Download

3. To "Undo" Restore Windows Photo Viewer for Only Your Account
    This is the default setting.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Undo_Restore_Windows_Photo_Viewer_CURRENT_USER.reg

Download
    4 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

8 If you selected to undo restore Windows Photo Viewer, then select a different app (ex: Photos) as the default app under Photo viewer in Settings. (see screenshot below step 9)

9 If you selected to restore Windows Photo Viewer, then select "Windows Photo Viewer" as the default app under Photo viewer in Settings. (see screenshots below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Restore Windows Photo Viewer for All Accounts
    You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to restore Windows Photo Viewer using this option.

This option will override Option One above, and also adds the Image Preview context menu for Windows Photo Viewer.

1 Do step 2, step 3, or step 4 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Restore Windows Photo Viewer for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Restore_Windows_Photo_Viewer_ALL_USERS.reg

Download

3. To Restore Windows Photo Viewer for All Users with Sort Order Fix
    This option does the same as step 2 above, but allows you to view files in the same order as they are arranged in the folder.

This option does cause Windows Photo Viewer to be listed twice in Open with -> Choose an app.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Restore_Windows_Photo_Viewer_ALL_USERS_with_Sort_order_fix.reg

Download

4. To "Undo" Restore Windows Photo Viewer for All Users
    This is the default setting.

Undo_Restore_Windows_Photo_Viewer_ALL_USERS.reg

Download
    5 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

9 If you restored Windows Photo Viewer, then select "Windows Photo Viewer" as the default app under Photo viewer in Settings. Other users on the PC will also need to do this step if they want Windows Photo Viewer set as the default program in their account. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

heyyahblah, Aug 9, 2015
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 9, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

You're most welcome J. *Smile

Brink, Aug 9, 2015
  5. Joanne Win User
    Thank you very much, Brink, for enabling Windows Photo Viewer for all of us, again! *Smile
    I've checked it and it works fine.

It's sad that we have to go through so many tweaks, manual settings and Registry changes to make Windows 10 function the way we knew, expected and desire. For example, last night I have enabled the Shuffle (of my desktop background images) in the Slideshow mode by going into the Registry (again) and modifying a value... For how long will I have to do this?

I'd like to ask something else now: is there a tutorial on how to reset the Reliability History on Windows 10?
    I have used this tutorial but it does not clear it completely.

Thank you!

Joanne, Aug 9, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Joanne,

I'm glad the tutorials have been able to help. *Smile

I don't have a Windows 10 version for Reliability History yet.

Be sure to send feedback to Microsoft about wanted features. The more they get, the better chance it may have of being added.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 9, 2015
  7. Rob62 Win User
    Thank You very much for sharing your knowledge here Brink. I have found your solution to be straight forward and correct.
    Thanks again!

Rob62, Aug 9, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm glad the tutorial could help Rob, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Aug 9, 2015
  9. DBone Win User
    Thanks for this Brink!

DBone, Aug 10, 2015
  10. Joanne Win User
    Thank you, Brink!

I am really (really) looking forward to your new tutorial on how to reset Windows 10 Reliability History - and eventually on how to clean the Event Viewer, even though I had success on that one.

Thank you *Smile

Joanne, Aug 10, 2015
  11. Thank you brink you’re a life saver.

CervenySun, Aug 11, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad it could help Cerveny. *Smile

Brink, Aug 11, 2015
  13. Mart Win User

It will restore preview options too like windows 7/8?

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Mart, *Smile

Yes, the "Preview" option in the context menu will be there as well. It's basically just the same as opening the image though.

Brink, Aug 12, 2015
  15. Mart Win User
    Thanks Brink..............

Thema:

1. Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Restore Photo Viewer

2. How to restore the Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to restore the Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 11: Windows 11 brings a slew of new features, some of which have not been well received among users. If you look at the previous iteration, it also had some unwelcome changes such as the Photos app, which replaced the Windows Photo Viewer. [ATTACH] The Photos App isn't bad at...
  3. Restore Windows Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore Windows Photo Viewer: If you loved Microsoft Photo viewer but they're forcing you to use Photos App you can bring it back with this FREE program. https://download.cnet.com/Restore-Windows-Photo-Viewer/3000-18488_4-77362441.html...
  4. How do you restore windows photo viewer in windows 10?

How do you restore windows photo viewer in windows 10?: I have tried everything to restore windows photo viewer as my default app in windows 10. Nothing seems to work. I cannot find an icon of the program to right click on and activate. Frustrating. Thanks in advance for your help....
  5. Restore Windows Photo Viewer not working anymore

Restore Windows Photo Viewer not working anymore: So I just got a new Alienware Area-51m laptop which came preinstalled with the latest build of Windows 1809, I did the latest Windows update then started applying my tweaks, however, when I applied the restore Windows Photo Viewer for All Users tweak, I still couldn't find...
  6. Restore Windows Photo Viewer not working anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore Windows Photo Viewer not working anymore: So I just got a new Alienware Area-51m laptop which came preinstalled with the latest build of Windows 1809, I did the latest Windows update then started applying my tweaks, however, when I applied the restore Windows Photo Viewer for All Users tweak, I still couldn't find...
  7. Windows 10 photo viewer

Windows 10 photo viewer: when I try to enlarge a picture in the photo viewer, they window turns transparent. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-photo-viewer/376a2bf0-7c7f-416e-8ab6-125b0e7e44a9
  8. Windows 10 Photo Viewer

Windows 10 Photo Viewer: I'm looking for a Photo Viewer for Windows 10 Home 64-bit that's as close as possible to that found on Windows 7. I've tried Microsoft Photos on the Windows Store but once I zoom in or make an image I'm viewing full screen, the other options at the top of the screen disappear...
  9. Windows 10 photo viewer

Windows 10 photo viewer: How to show oldest photos first in windows 10 photo viewer Can someone please help me out here on the above.I decided to have a go with the W10 photo app,But failed on how to arrange the viewing I would like to have the windows to show oldest first.Or is it set to show...
  10. Windows Photo Viewer manual restoration

Windows Photo Viewer manual restoration: I found Brink's tutorial here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html But I wanted to know if I can try and manually restore it? If I want to add the registry key myself, how can I do that? Thanks! 39099