Windows 10: Any way to make computer sleep on login screen when inactive?

Discus and support Any way to make computer sleep on login screen when inactive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The owner of the transitional house I live in keeps unplugging my power strip because the computer somehow wakes up when I'm asleep or at work. I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GuyInDogSuit, May 2, 2017.

1. Any way to make computer sleep on login screen when inactive?

The owner of the transitional house I live in keeps unplugging my power strip because the computer somehow wakes up when I'm asleep or at work. I don't know if someone is purposely touching the mouse or keyboard, or if it's somehow accidental, but he unplugs it if I'm not using it and it's on. If it's asleep, he doesn't touch it.

I always put it asleep when I leave the desk for more than 20-30 minutes. It should NOT be on at random times during the day or night. I've gotten up for work at 5:30 am and the PC is on. I've come home on lunch break or after work, and it's unplugged. I'm aware that it updates and such, but doesn't it go back to sleep afterwards? It usually doesn't update on it's own, oddly enough, I have to manually check. ANYWAY....

Is there some way to make it go to sleep if it's inactive, on the login screen for, say, ten minutes?

:)

GuyInDogSuit, May 2, 2017

2. Can't control windows 10 shuting down my screen in 3 minutes

In addition to the settings for monitor power saver, there's also the options for sleep mode, or even just the regular screensaver settings could be making the monitor time out or go to the lock screen. In all there are 5 different places to adjust settings
    for when the screen times out (monitor power, computer sleep timer, login screen timer, screensaver timer, and lock timer).

When your screen shuts down, do you know if your computer is remaining powered on or is it dropping to sleep also?

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], May 2, 2017
  3. Shan861 Win User
    Windows 10 Black screen problem

After your computer starts close down the computer screen and make sure it goes to sleep/hibernate. Afterwards wake the computer and it should be on the login screen. This worked for me, hope it works for you as well.

Shan861, May 2, 2017
  4. Any way to make computer sleep on login screen when inactive?

Hi GuyInDogSuit

The next time you find your machine awake could you please open a command prompt(admin) and type the following command

powercfg -lastwake

This will tell you what issued the wake up call. Hopefully you can then deal with cause.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 2, 2017
  5. But that doesn't answer my question. Is there a way to make it sleep on the login screen only?

GuyInDogSuit, May 3, 2017
  6. AddRAM Win User
    If the power button is down in the bottom right hand corner then yes, if not, no.

It`s there on my Sign in screen.

I`ll have to test and see if it will go to sleep on it`s own while on the Sign in screen.

Came back about 20 minutes later and the PC was asleep *Smile

AddRAM, May 3, 2017
  7. Is there any way to shorten that time, to say, five minutes?

GuyInDogSuit, May 3, 2017
  8. sygnus21 Win User

Any way to make computer sleep on login screen when inactive?

sygnus21, May 3, 2017
  9. I don't want it to go to sleep unless I'm logged out.

GuyInDogSuit, May 4, 2017
  10. AndreTen Win User
    There is only one power plan for all users on PC. So if you want Windows to behave differently when User is logged on and logged off, power plan must be changed...

There could be some other possibility, one simple solution comes to mind...
    Instead of logging off with clicking on power button or with keyboard, you could set a batch file (or powershell) consisting of setting power plan and command for log of

switching power plan:

You can get GUID with command
    for logging off

Of course, when you log on, another command would have to be run to change power plan for never go to sleep...

AndreTen, May 12, 2017
  11. Could you explain the "GUID" bit a little more?

GuyInDogSuit, May 13, 2017
  12. AndreTen Win User
    It's a descriptor for exact power plan. Normally, user have at least "balanced" , "High performance" and "Power saver" power plans.
    High performance wont go to sleep easily and you can set it to never go to sleep. Balanced is that most of us are using.

You get GUID descriptor by typing powercfg /l (the last letter is small L) and you can set desired power plan by typing
    So this plan is not elegant, but could work.

this are GUIDs of my Windows:

Any way to make computer sleep on login screen when inactive? [​IMG]

AndreTen, May 13, 2017
  13. AndreTen Win User

Ok, one simple question: why you don't want to let your PC to go to sleep while logged on?

AndreTen, May 13, 2017
  14. Because sometimes I am downloading games from Steam or Origin that are 45 GB or more and take a few hours to install. Right now I am redownloading Mass Effect Andromeda which is taking a long time. Once it's done and I go to sleep or work, then I'll put the computer to sleep. It just annoys me when it's on when I come home because somebody bumped into it or something.

GuyInDogSuit, May 14, 2017
  15. AndreTen Win User
    You can easy set computer to not go to sleep while downloading *Smile If you don't trust power settings, there are programs that prevent PC to go to sleep. Or just run internet radio (it's minimal bandwidth ...).

AndreTen, May 14, 2017
Thema:

1. Any way to make computer sleep on login screen when inactive? - Similar Threads - computer sleep login

2. is there any way to make desktop symmetrical?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is there any way to make desktop symmetrical?: i tried to find anything on the internet but i didn't find anything that would help me, i also tried using ctrl and scrolling but that didn't help align the icons...
  3. is there any way to make desktop symmetrical?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is there any way to make desktop symmetrical?: i tried to find anything on the internet but i didn't find anything that would help me, i also tried using ctrl and scrolling but that didn't help align the icons...
  4. Is there a way to make Notifications appear when returning to the computer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to make Notifications appear when returning to the computer?: I need my notifications to remain onscreen until dismissed. And if I'm away from my computer (keeping it Locked), then I expect to see all notifications that would have appeared during my time away, once I log back in. Apparently, the way Notifications work in Windows 10 is...
  5. Any way to fix this (login screen)

Any way to fix this (login screen): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/-The-Moon- [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m7r3f9/any_way_to_fix_this_login_screen/
  6. [Help] Any way to prevent windows from locking on inactivity?

[Help] Any way to prevent windows from locking on inactivity?: If I leave my laptop untouched, it locks the screen and goes to lockscreen after ~5 minutes. How do I prevent this? I'm NOT talking about screen turning off. I'm fine with screen turning off. But I don't want the screen to lock. In other words, Is this possible - Laptop...
  7. Is there any way to bypass login screen only when I'm home?

Is there any way to bypass login screen only when I'm home?: Hi guys. I believe smartphones have a feature to unlock the phone screen whenever the owners are at home. How about laptop? Is there any way that I can configure my laptop to automatically login for me when I'm home and require the password when I bring the laptop to school?...
  8. Computer go to sleep after a short span of inactivity

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer go to sleep after a short span of inactivity: I've tried the option of "Never" under the Change plan settings, but it doesn't work. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-go-to-sleep-after-a-short-span-of/3f84cb46-2330-4a35-a52e-9cbe46299955
  9. login screen not showing. No way to login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    login screen not showing. No way to login: My computer kept freezing. I wanted to know if it was a program causing it. I went to run --> msconfig and disable all the start up programs. I thought wiindows would be smart enough to disable only the unessential programs. When windows restarts its start like normal,...
  10. Laptop doesn't turn off the screen or go to sleep when inactive

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop doesn't turn off the screen or go to sleep when inactive: Hello everyone, so just the other day I (finally) upgraded my Lenovo Ideapad Z510 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. So far, I'm pretty happy about it, so I'm definitely not regretting it, but there is one thing that it's starting to frustrate me. Basically, when the...