Windows 10: "App and Game Limits" not recognizing apps to limit in MS Family

Discus and support "App and Game Limits" not recognizing apps to limit in MS Family in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I want to use Microsoft Family to limit kids' ability to pay a specific game Kerbal Space Program to no more than X hours per day, on just a single... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by nms25, May 30, 2020.

1. nms25 Win User

"App and Game Limits" not recognizing apps to limit in MS Family

I want to use Microsoft Family to limit kids' ability to pay a specific game Kerbal Space Program to no more than X hours per day, on just a single Windows 10, brand new Acer laptop. No other devices at issue or being used with these accounts.

But when I go to "App and Game Limits" at family.microsoft.com for the local user accounts I have set up, the main account I want to limit call it the "games account" does not include *any* apps as options to limit -- there is no "installed apps" list at all to choose from. It just says

App and game limits

Too much time spent watching videos or playing games? Set limits on their apps and games to help them stay focused and get a healthy balance of screen time throughout the day.

On
    Limits will apply to
    LAPTOP-[computer name of my laptop]
    Help with Microsoft family features
    -------------------------------------------------

Etc. Turning "Time limits" to "on" or "off" makes no difference. Still no list of apps to limit in any case. The other children's accounts have an "installed apps" list and certain apps appear on it, but Kerbal Space Program does not appear on the list for those accounts either. If this was an ordinary windows function there would be a "browse" option and I could just select the .exe file on the HDD and identify the app that way if nothing else worked, like when windows can't automatically find your printer driver--- but I can't find any function like that. It just seems to be something that either works or doesn't with no way to look under the hood, or am I missing something?

All accounts I am trying to limit are children's non-administrator local user accounts on the laptop in question. In each case I created a microsoft account to go along with the user account. In each case MS family controls for the account recognize the Acer laptop's computer name and say "limits will apply to" that laptop. In each case the MS Family internet monitoring/blocking functions in MS Edge seem to be working for the accounts.

On the "games account" I mentioned above, I have started the Kerbal Space Program account every different way I can, from start menu, clicking on the executable in folder, from pinned task bar, from desktop shortcut icon etc to try to get the computer to recognize it as an app that I should be able to control in MS Family. When I type the program into search from the task bar it is recognized as "Kerbal Space Program - App," but I can't do anything to get it to show up on an MS Family list so that I can limit it.

For comparison, another app we play, Universe Sandbox, appears in the list of "installed apps" for other accounts on the computer, but does not appear anywhere for the "games" account even though we regularly use that program with that account.

Any help appreciated.

nms25

:)

nms25, May 30, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

New App and Game Limits for Family Settings on Windows 10 and Xbox One

Source: New app and game limits empower parents with more specific settings | Windows Experience Blog

How to Set App and Game Limits of Microsoft Family Child on Windows 10, Xbox One, and Android

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) View on Twitter

Brink, May 30, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    New App and Game Limits for Family Settings on Windows 10 and Xbox One

Source: Introducing App and Game Limits for Family Settings - Xbox Wire

How to Set App and Game Limits of Microsoft Family Child on Windows 10, Xbox One, and Android

Brink, May 30, 2020
  4. "App and Game Limits" not recognizing apps to limit in MS Family

App and game limits - Microsoft Family

Suddenly my daughter gets messages she has to ask a parent for more time to use Chrome. App and game limits in Family is OFF and grayed out, I have never set any restrictions. How can this be fixed?

Remyvan Tol, May 30, 2020
Thema:

"App and Game Limits" not recognizing apps to limit in MS Family

1. "App and Game Limits" not recognizing apps to limit in MS Family - Similar Threads - App Game Limits

2. Time Limit For A Group of Apps in Family

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Time Limit For A Group of Apps in Family: In Microsoft Family I need a feature where I can set a time limit for a group of apps together. This important for video game limits for example. If I can only limit time per app then I either have to make the limits on game apps very short which isn’t fair or give larger...
  3. Time Limit For A Group of Apps in Family

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Time Limit For A Group of Apps in Family: In Microsoft Family I need a feature where I can set a time limit for a group of apps together. This important for video game limits for example. If I can only limit time per app then I either have to make the limits on game apps very short which isn’t fair or give larger...
  4. Time Limit For A Group of Apps in Family

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Apps appear and disappear from Microsoft Family App and Game Limits

Apps appear and disappear from Microsoft Family App and Game Limits: My family is using Windows 10, and I am using the Microsoft Family App and Game Limits feature to block and unblock access to games. From day to day, the list of apps that show under App and Game Limits on the website changes, and sometimes an app that I have blocked stops...
  6. Microsoft family Apps and game limits don't work

Microsoft family Apps and game limits don't work: I have blocked every single game and app for my child and it seems it doesn't work. I have also blocked Microsoft store and for some reason my child can install games every time. I get the notifications to allow my child to play the games and I deny all of them. My child...
  7. Phantom devices under Family } Apps & Game Limits

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phantom devices under Family } Apps & Game Limits: Under my Family Safety tab of Microsoft account, if I go to Apps & Game Limits subtab it shows a list of devices these limits will apply to. My child should have access to 4 devices and they are on there listed correctly. However, there are two additional device icons for a...
  8. App Limits

App Limits: I need help with the App limits on windows 10, because I am trying to figure out if there is a way to set a single limit for multiple apps. What is happening currently is that I can set a 1 hour limit on Minecraft and Valorant, but if I spend an hour on Valorant, I can play...
  9. App and game limits - Microsoft Family

App and game limits - Microsoft Family: Suddenly my daughter gets messages she has to ask a parent for more time to use Chrome. App and game limits in Family is OFF and grayed out, I have never set any restrictions. How can this be fixed?...
  10. App and game limits

App and game limits: Hello. I have set 4 hours maximum for the Fornite app on my son´s PC. But this rule is clearly not being applied, as shown by the attached activity screenshot. Any idea what the issue might be? Thanks! [ATTACH]...