Windows 10: Arranging items within file folders in File Explorer

Discus and support Arranging items within file folders in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I understand that older versions of windows allowed the user to move items to whatever order they wanted. I am trying to create playlists with my music... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TrudyCraig, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Arranging items within file folders in File Explorer

I understand that older versions of windows allowed the user to move items to whatever order they wanted. I am trying to create playlists with my music and it's just impossible! I have to be satisfied with alphabetical or whatever and cannot simply move the items to the order I want. Why would this be considered an improvement? It has caused me no end of frustration, almost as much as when the "update" to Windows 10 disabled almost every driver on my computer! Help?

:)

TrudyCraig, Mar 9, 2019

2. how to auto arrange PDF files in a folder

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In which format are you trying arrange the PDF files?

By default, File explorer will sort the files and folders in alphabetical order. You can also select other sorting options to arrange your files. I suggest you to try the following steps mentioned below and check if that helps:

1. Open File Explorer.

2. Click on View.

3. Now click on the Sort by drop down.

4. Select the option that best suits your needs.

Note: All the files or folder in File Explorer will be sorted in the format that you have selected. This option will remain until it is changed manually.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Mar 9, 2019
  4. Ed Luria Win User

Arranging items within file folders in File Explorer

Windows Explorer 10 - how can I arrange Folders on top of Files in a single directory

How can I arrange folders on top of files in a single directory? I am able to do this if I try to arrange all of the items in the directory alphabetically, but, when I arrange the items instead by date modified, the files spring to the top and the folders
    fall to the bottom. Is there some way I can keep this from happening – is there a way to always keep the folders at the top in Windows Explorer 10 no matter how I sort the items in the directory? Thank you.

Ed Luria, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

Arranging items within file folders in File Explorer

1. Arranging items within file folders in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Arranging items within

2. How to re-arrange the order of files within a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to re-arrange the order of files within a folder: I have a "Set List" folder with lyric files. I need to be able to arrange these files in any order I choose to match a set list. I see no way in Windows I can do this. This should be as simple as dragging a file to a different location within my lyrics folder. IS there any...
  3. How to re-arrange the order of files within a folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to re-arrange the order of files within a folder: I have a "Set List" folder with lyric files. I need to be able to arrange these files in any order I choose to match a set list. I see no way in Windows I can do this. This should be as simple as dragging a file to a different location within my lyrics folder. IS there any...
  4. How to re-arrange the order of files within a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Need Help With Using File Explorer to Arrange Files and Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Need Help With Using File Explorer to Arrange Files and Folders: I'm running Windows 10 Home Edition, version 2004, and am having trouble using the File Explorer feature. I'm not sure just how to explain/describe the problem, but will try, hoping that it makes sense. My favorite place for saving things has always been to my desktop; that...
  6. Arranging files in order in a Folder

Arranging files in order in a Folder: Hello, On WIndows 10 I am trying to send a manuscript to a publisher. I have a folder already on the desktop and my word documents 30 of them that must be shown in the correct order that I have copied them into the Folder. I tried this yesterday but on the 4th attempt of...
  7. moving pictures within a Folder in File Explorer

moving pictures within a Folder in File Explorer: How can you move a picture within the same folder ? I used to be able to just click & drag and now that does not work...I want to manually move the pictures...
  8. Files within Folder

Files within Folder: When transferring numbered files into a folder they were entered out of sequence. It there a way to move the files into sequence? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-within-folder/7a31db01-f717-4311-b6da-5c631a22b3c6"
  9. File arrangement on-screen with Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    File arrangement on-screen with Explorer: I originally had this problem on a Win machine and it was solved by someone called Brix??? I need to be able to move a thumbnail of a file (usually of a photo) ini the usual panel in Explorer. But if I drag and drop, the file merely goes back to its original place. Brix...
  10. File Explorer Auto Renaming Organization Within Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Auto Renaming Organization Within Folders: Yea, the topic name sounds very in-depth and confusing haha, so let me elaborate. Sometimes I download wallpaper images, and Properly rename them so they don't have so much useless info in the filename. When I am renaming the files, sometimes I would rename a file that has...