Windows 10: Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10 [img] Warning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by tinutuva, Dec 28, 2015.

1. tinutuva Win User

Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with the Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703.

While you can still arrange items how you like, they will now reset back to their original position whenever you close/open or refresh (F5) the folder window.

Information When you drag and drop icons in a folder in Windows 10, they will automatically be aligned to a grid and auto arranged. By default, disabling auto arrange and align to grid is not an available option in File Explorer.

This tutorial will show you how to disable auto arrange and align to grid to be able to freely arrange icons how you like inside folders in File Explorer for your account in Windows 10.

Note When auto arrange is disabled, you can arrange items in any order and position in a folder using the extra large icons, large icons, medium icons, or small icons view.

When auto arrange is disabled and you are using details view, you can only arrange items in any order in a folder, and not in any position.

You will not be able to freely arrange items in a folder that are grouped. You can select Group by -> (None) in the View tab of the ribbon to no longer have items in a folder grouped by a column.

You will not be able to freely arrange items in an opened library.

You can turn Auto arrange and Align to grid on or off as you like for individual folders while using the extra large icons, large icons, medium icons, or small icons view. You would right click or press and hold in the open folder, and click/tap on View to do so.

EXAMPLE: Auto Arrange Disabled with Icons and Details view

Tip If you would like to have This PC back to normal and still have auto arrange disabled for everything else, then:

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (details), step 3 (medium icons), step 4 (large icons), or step 5 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Disable Auto Arrange and use Details View by default

Note This will have auto arrange disabled for all folders by default, and have details set as the default view.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 6 below.

Disable_Auto_Arrange_in_File_Explorer-Details.bat

Download

3. To Disable Auto Arrange and use Medium icons View by default

Note This will have auto arrange disabled for all folders by default, and have medium icons set as the default view.

Both downloads will disable auto arrange, but you can select a download to have auto arrange turned on or off for all folders by default. You will still be able to manually turn on or off auto arrange per folder.

A) Click/tap on a Download button below to download the BAT file you want below, and go to step 6 below.

Disable_Auto_Arrange_ON_in_File_Explorer_Medium-Icons.bat

Download

OR

Disable_Auto_Arrange_OFF_in_File_Explorer_Medium-Icons.bat

Download

4. To Disable Auto Arrange and use Large icons View by default

Note This will have auto arrange disabled for all folders by default, and have large icons set as the default view.

Both downloads will disable auto arrange, but you can select a download to have auto arrange turned on or off for all folders by default. You will still be able to manually turn on or off auto arrange per folder.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 6 below.

Disable_Auto_Arrange_ON_in_File_Explorer-Large_Icons.bat

Download

OR

Disable_Auto_Arrange_OFF_in_File_Explorer_Large-Icons.bat

Download

5. To Enable Auto Arrange and Reset Folder Views to Default

Note This is the default setting.

This will reset the views of all folders back to default, and enable auto arrange.

Enable_Auto_Arrange_in_File_Explorer.bat

Download

6. Save the .bat file to your desktop, and run the .bat file.

7. Unblock the .bat file, and run the .bat file.

8. You will now notice your screen flicker and a command prompt quickly open and close as explorer is restarted to apply the registry changes.

9. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

tinutuva, Dec 28, 2015
  2. Bruce Hagen, Dec 28, 2015
  3. Bruce Hagen, Dec 28, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello tinutuva, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The .bat files are different. Step 2 will give you details view (columns).

If you like, you could also do the tutorial afterwards to set a default folder view with small icons to all folders.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Dec 28, 2015
  5. tinutuva Win User
    Hello Brink, I'm glad I found this forum. I will certainly read the tutorial and I plan to go through many tutorials on the forum. I just compared the 2 differently named files that I downloaded from this post and they each contain:
    :: To reset all folder views to default
    :: To turn off full row select setting
    :: To disable sniff folder feature and sets folder type to not specific
    :: Disable Auto Arrange for General Items (not specific) folder template
    :: Disable Auto Arrange for Documents folder template
    :: Disable Auto Arrange for Music folder template
    :: Disable Auto Arrange for Pictures folder template
    :: Disable Auto Arrange for Videos folder template
    :: To kill and restart explorer

I always view a .bat file in Notepad before I run it so I can understand the code and that's how I saw these. If I'm not mistaken, anyone who runs either of these .bat files will run all the reg changes in all of these programs sequentially. If you download them from the links in the post you'll see it too.

tinutuva, Dec 28, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yep, that part is the same, but if you compare the icon values, you'll see a difference between them.

Brink, Dec 28, 2015
  7. tinutuva Win User
    Ah, now I see it, I'll try this when I get home. *Thumbs

Thank you for your patience. I have one more quick question. What value do I set Icon to for small icons?

tinutuva, Dec 28, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 28, 2015
  9. btsterli Win User
    Thanks for doing this Shawn. I have two quick questions:

1) Does the change apply to all users on the system or just the user who ran the .bat file?

2) I really only want to use this for some picture folders. Would it still work if I modified the .bat file and deleted the rows for General Items, Documents, Music, and Videos but left the Pictures part untouched? I assume if that's a valid approach then obviously I also have to make sure I have the properties for the folders I want to arrange set to type "Pictures" right?

btsterli, Jan 28, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello btsterli, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Q1) This will only be applied to the current user, and not all users.

Q2) The way the .bat file works is that it will reset all folder views back to default first, then apply a view with auto arrange disabled for each folder type. You can safely remove the other folder sections from the .bat file to not have auto arrange disabled for them, but they will still get reset back to default.

Brink, Jan 28, 2016
  11. btsterli Win User
    Great, thanks. So just to be clear, for those sections at the top (reset folder views, turn off full row select, disable sniff folder feature), I should leave those alone since they appear to be more global settings and can't really be set per folder type?

Just out of curiosity, what are those settings (full row select and sniff folder)? I guess you managed to figure out they need to be turned off in order for this to work? I'm curious what functionality we might be missing with these turned off. Probably nothing too special I assume.

btsterli, Jan 28, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Here's a modified .bat file below to do this for only Pictures for you. *Smile

*Arrow Pictures_Disable_Auto_Arrange_in_File_Explorer-Icons.bat

The "full row select" section is to prevent issues from being able to arrange items easily.

The "sniff folder" section is to disable automatic folder type discovery. Automatic Folder Type Discovery is when Windows will automatically change the template of a folder to match the file type of the last file added or saved in the folder. For example, if your folder contains music files and you add a picture file, then Windows may change the folder template and view to the "Picture" template to match the new picture file.

Brink, Jan 28, 2016
  13. Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10

To Brink and all that have posted. Thank you so much for this forum I have been looking for a fix for a few years now. I make a lot of movies and have to use 3 folders to mix photos together. Since the change it has tripled the time it takes to edit my photos with the auto arrange. I now have disabled this with your sweet sweet help. I also downloaded the enable to return it if needed. Can it hurt the PC at all with this change? Since i only needed this to work in my photos area I went to another folder and change the view to list and kept the photos folders i needed on Detail for the drag and drop. I cant tell you thank you enough. You cant see it but I'm giving you a PC to PC man hug. Hope this helps many others too. Have a great day!!!!!

HappyCamper, Feb 27, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello HappyCamper, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Thank you. I hope you have a great day as well.

It won't hurt anything to have auto arrange disabled. In fact, you will still be able to turn on/off auto arrange for specific folders, and still be able to set the folder views how you like for each specific folder.

Brink, Feb 27, 2016
  15. Great thanks for the tips. And even a super fast response. Im still doing the happy dance. I was about to pull out my old old pc just to work on photos now i dont. Job well done!!!

HappyCamper, Feb 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Auto

2. How to disable auto arrange?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable auto arrange?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/mergisi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/loj3a9/how_to_disable_auto_arrange/
  3. How To Disable Sorting And Auto Arrange In Folders

How To Disable Sorting And Auto Arrange In Folders: I find this excruciatingly frustrating as a UX perspective. I want to sort the items in my folder the way I want them. Not by date, not by name, not some group by, etc. I like it the way it is in my desktop. I have it ordered manually the way I like it, why can't I do the...
  4. How To Disable Sorting And Auto Arrange In Folders

How To Disable Sorting And Auto Arrange In Folders: I find this excruciatingly frustrating as a UX perspective. I want to sort the items in my folder the way I want them. Not by date, not by name, not some group by, etc. I like it the way it is in my desktop. I have it ordered manually the way I like it, why can't I do the...
  5. no "auto arrange" in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    no "auto arrange" in Windows 10?: my windows 10 does not have icon "auto arrange". I did, view->large icons->right click...nothing anywhere no "auto arrange" yes I used the right-click. I'm using Windows 7 and I have "auto arrange". I really "like" Windows 7, see the pun. I've tried everything I can...
  6. Disabling auto arrange in folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling auto arrange in folders: When is Microsoft going to let its users disable auto arrange in folders? I am not talking about the desktop here. All my files etc. that are in Folders are being aligned automatically and I want to move them around freely wherever I want. I could do this in Windows XP...
  7. Disable auto-arrange

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable auto-arrange: Why has Microsoft removed the option to turn off auto-arrange in Windows 10? Is there a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-auto-arrange/703204e2-f403-4045-bc21-d25c96752603"
  8. Disable Auto arrange inside a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Auto arrange inside a folder: I have a folder named SHORTS on my Desktop, inside are shortcut icons for many programs i use often. I still have not been able to find a way to arrange in the order i want. If i move anything they just revert back to previous order. Also if i have another folder in the...
  9. Disable Auto Arrange in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Auto Arrange in Windows Explorer: First off I used the forum search function and didn't fins any threads addressing this issue so I apologize in advance if this is a duplicated topic and I somehow missed it. I have disliked this "feature" since windows 7 and I see they still have not restored the ability...
  10. Any Way to Disable the Auto Arranging of Files for Specific Folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any Way to Disable the Auto Arranging of Files for Specific Folders?: Hey, Anybody happen to know how to disable Win 10 auto arranging files in a folder? You can obviously sort them in numerous way, but for certain folders I want to be able to manually rearrange my files (folders that contain music tracks). Apparently in WIn 8.1 you could...