Windows 10: Asks for PIN when adding a different hotmail account to the mail app

Discus and support Asks for PIN when adding a different hotmail account to the mail app in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have two outlook/Hotmail accounts. One I log into the PC with (which is pretty crappy by the way and is a huge hassle in Windows 10 IMO). In the... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by slopland, Jan 5, 2016.

1. slopland Win User

Asks for PIN when adding a different hotmail account to the mail app

I have two outlook/Hotmail accounts. One I log into the PC with (which is pretty crappy by the way and is a huge hassle in Windows 10 IMO).
    In the mail app, I was able to add the mailbox of the one I use, however I have a second email account through Hotmail that when I try to add the account to the mail app, it asks me to verify with a pin. I have never used a PIN with this account. I went to settings and sign in option, and have an option to change the pin, however it is wanting to change the main account that I log into the pc. The pin appears to be 4 digits (it only allows 4 characters before it auto enters) unlike the main pin which is 8 or 9 numbers.

Thanks in advance,
    Bryan

:)

slopland, Jan 5, 2016
  2. gmopro Win User

Microsoft Mail App - account that opens

it must open to the account that was first added when you use the Mail app to open the mail.

i guess i can just add individual pinned email accounts to the start grid. Doesnt seem to be a way to have that mail app square open to the account i want so i will just use individual pinned accounts.

gmopro, Jan 5, 2016
  3. Windows 10 phone - email setup asking for pin?

It is the same on PC with windows 10 as well. I have two Hotmail accounts, two gmail accounts and so on and configured them on windows Mail. It worked for a while. After a while the Mail app comes with a pop saying that the account settings for my Hotmail
    accounts are out of date.

When I click on fix the account settings the popup comes to enter PIN, which I never entered when I initially configured the account.

I click on Forgot the password and it advices me to go to Settings->Accounts->Sign-in Options. But here we can change or set the PIN for the windows login account. Right now I do not use an email to login and hence cannot set the PIN for any of my hotmail accounts.

FrancisMathew, Jan 5, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Hi Bryan, welcome to the Ten Forums.

The PIN the Mail app asks for the verification when a new / another Microsoft email account (Outlook, Hotmail, Live, MSN) is added is the PIN for the Microsoft Account you use to sign in to Windows.

An example: Let's say your Windows 10 sign-in MS account is L: Bryan@AnMSEmail.com, and when signed in using that MS account you want to add your second Microsoft email address L: slopland@OutlookHotmailOrLive.com to the mail app. You enter the credentials for the L: slopland@OutlookHotmailOrLive.com, and when done, the Mail app wants to check you are really the user L: Bryan@AnMSEmail.com, the user currently signed in to Windows. To verify this you need to enter the PIN of the current Windows sign-in account, the one of L: Bryan@AnMSEmail.com.

I've only seen this to happen when adding any of the Microsoft's email accounts to the mail app. Adding for instance a Gmail account does not ask it.

Confusing, I have difficulties to understand myself what I just wrote! I hope you get it, though.

Kari, Jan 6, 2016
  5. slopland Win User
    Thank you for the reply. I have tried that but the PIN auto enters after 4 numbers and the PIN for the computer login is 8 or 9 characters. It does not allow me to put in more than 4 numbers.

slopland, Jan 7, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Are you sure now you are not mixing the password and the PIN? I checked my previous post and the information told in it is both accurate and valid.

To put it very short: if you sign in to windows using an MS account Email1@OutlookOrHotmailOrLive.com, and you want to add Email2@OutlookOrHotmailOrLive.com to the Mail app, the PIN asked is the PIN (not the password) for the Email1@OutlookOrHotmailOrLive.com, your current Windows sign-in account.

Below a live example with screenshots.

By default a Windows user account has no PIN. It needs to be set up, either when installing Windows or later on if skipped when installing. When set, the PIN for the Windows 10 sign-in is four or more digits long, as the user prefers. In your case if it auto enters after 4 digits, you have a 4 digit PIN. I use a 5 digit PIN, in my case when I add a new Microsoft email account to mail app it auto enters after the 5th digit.

Here's how it works:

My Windows sign-in MS account L: @abcdefgh.com is already automatically added to Mail app, later on I have added a second MS account. Now adding a new account L: larry.laffer@abcdefgh.com, I enter this new account's credentials normally:

Asks for PIN when adding a different hotmail account to the mail app [​IMG]

When added, the account tells Attention Required. Clicking the account I get the option Fix account selecting it:

The next dialog is a bit confusing. It asks me to verify that the L: larry.laffer@abcdefgh.com is mine by asking the current Windows 10 sign-in accounts PIN, that of L: @abcdefgh.com

I enter my Windows sign-in 5 digit PIN for the user account L: @abcdefgh.com, the account I am currently using to sign in to Windows, and now the L: larry.laffer@abcdefgh.com will finally be added to the mail app.

If you are not sure which PIN you have set up, if you have forgot it, go to your account settings and change it. Notice that if you have forgotten the PIN, you need first to remove it, then set a new one. Changing the PIN will first ask the old PIN which of course if you have forgotten it you cannot enter.

Kari, Jan 7, 2016
  7. slopland Win User
    Thank you very much for taking the time for such a detailed reply. I had been going through that exact process. The hang up was when it asked for a PIN (I confirmed it was indeed asking for a pin). I attempted to enter my main MS PIN. This PIN was 7 digits. The box where I entered the number would automatically enter when I put in 4 characters, so as a result, I could never fill in my complete PIN. I went ahead and reset my PIN to a 4 digit one. This seems to have worked, although for some reason, that messed up the certificate in all of my gmail accounts. I am good with computers, but I have never had this much difficulty with a simple email set up... But, thank you very much for your help.

Bryan

slopland, Jan 7, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

Good to know you got it finally.

Strange that it went to auto enter after just 4 digits. I've tested it now again, and in my case it always accepts the correct amount of digits.

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Asks for PIN when adding a different hotmail account to the mail app - Similar Threads - Asks PIN adding

2. Adding a second hotmail account to mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding a second hotmail account to mail: I have my primary hotmail account setup through Windows Mail for Windows 10 though when I try to add my secondary hotmail account to combine them into my inbox it just loads for hours saying creating account. I've tried different methods to add this account and have also...
  3. Can't add Hotmail account to Mail app

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't add Hotmail account to Mail app: Whenever I try to add a Hotmail account to the Mail app (which I literally just downloaded and installed from the Store), I get this error after I select the account on the screen prior: https://i.imgur.com/rWRvHVl.png What to do? The mail account exists and I can access it...
  4. What is the difference between Hotmail account and Microsoft account in People App on...

What is the difference between Hotmail account and Microsoft account in People App on...: My PC runs Windows Pro 10 v. 1909. The People App is configured with two email accounts: My Hotmail email address. A Gmail address. I synchronize it with my smartphone running Android 9 without a problem. I noticed yesterday the following problem: a contact I had added...
  5. error 0x8007042b when adding a Yahoo Mail account to MS Mail App

in Browsers and Email
    error 0x8007042b when adding a Yahoo Mail account to MS Mail App: When using the mail app in: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362 I'm getting the error code: error 0x8007042b I've disabled anti-virus but that didn't work. What I'm trying to do is: Go to the settings (the cog wheel in the app) Manage...
  6. error 0x8007042b when adding a Yahoo Mail account to MS Mail App

in Windows 10 Support
    error 0x8007042b when adding a Yahoo Mail account to MS Mail App: When using the mail app in: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362 I'm getting the error code: error 0x8007042b I've disabled anti-virus but that didn't work. What I'm trying to do is: Go to the settings (the cog wheel in the app) Manage...
  7. pin for my hotmail account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    pin for my hotmail account: has anyone had where the pin they created doesn't t work and then it makes you restart your computer because you have used your wrong pin too many times? I selected the reset my pin and instead of going somewhere where you can do that it suggests a place but when you go...
  8. Mail App Error When Adding Third Account: 0x8000000b

Mail App Error When Adding Third Account: 0x8000000b: I am setting up my new Lenovo Yoga 720. In the Mail app I added my personal gmail account and a yahoo account but could not add my school gmail account. I deleted the Mail app and reinstalled. Then I added both my personal gmail account and my school gmail account, but...
  9. Adding another Hotmail/Outlook account to my Mail App?

in Browsers and Email
    Adding another Hotmail/Outlook account to my Mail App?: Hello, I have a Microsoft account and I am using it with Windows 10. I want to use the Windows 10 built in Mail App. It seem very nice. I added multiple Gmail and Yahoo accounts without any issue. But, finally, when I want to add more Hotmail accounts Windows...
  10. Cannot get Mail App to work with Gmail or Hotmail accounts

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot get Mail App to work with Gmail or Hotmail accounts: Having got all of my standard stuff, including having MS Outlook handle my email accounts, sorted out; I decided to give the new Windows 10 Mail Application a try. Unfortunately I cannot get it to do a darned thing:- 1. With my Hotmail account I get error code 0x80070032....