Windows 10: Automatic Maintenance Bug?

Discus and support Automatic Maintenance Bug? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I did am no Malware. Also it has not done it again since the reboot. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Redbatman, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Redbatman Win User

Automatic Maintenance Bug?

I did am no Malware. Also it has not done it again since the reboot.

Redbatman, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Redbatman Win User

Hi so I have been noticing that every time I'm a few minutes away from my PC and if I check Automatic Maintenance it will say it performed it while I was away. And it will happen every time I'm away for either 5 mins or mins it will state that when I resume going to my PC it will list that time as doing automatic maintenance. Is this a bug?

:)

Redbatman, Apr 5, 2018
  3. Automatic Maintenance

I have Automatic Maintenance enabled for 2:00am everyday. Without any warning while browsing it just started to run on it's own. What is the point of setting it up on a schedule if it chooses to run whenever it wants? Which leads me to my next question;
    does my computer have to be on at 2:00am for this maintenance? I would greatly appreciate it if someone knows the answer to these two questions.

JudithRodda, Apr 5, 2018
  4. Automatic Maintenance Bug?

Automatic Maintenance

Thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

JudithRodda, Apr 5, 2018
  5. No it's a feature.

Here is how to turn it off:
    TenForums Tutorial - Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
  6. Redbatman Win User
    Well I know its a feature but for it to do it every time I'm a few minutes away isn't that a bit much?

Redbatman, Apr 5, 2018
  7. AndreTen Win User
    It certainly is. There is usually a lot of activities in the first days after clean install or version upgrade (next should be after 1803 arrive).
    Also if you add a lot of specific files (attach external drive containing music or video archive, or similar) there will be a lot of indexing etc. Otherwise, system should finish with maintenance in minutes (or even seconds).

Did you check, which tasks are running? Leave your screen on with Task manager, or Resource monitor and sort by CPU or Disk activities.

AndreTen, Apr 5, 2018
  8. Automatic Maintenance Bug?

Windows does this for as long as it needs to if it's falling behind it's schedule. In other cases it will only run when you have scheduled it. Sometimes it's a good idea to either run it manually or just leave the computer on until it's done.

See this this screenshot of the settings that are working fine for me:

Automatic Maintenance Bug? [​IMG]

You can see the path in the screenshot, where to navigate if you want to take a look yourself.

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
  9. I didn't notice any activities at all after upgrade. Wonder if the darn thing is even working for me? *Wink

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
  10. AndreTen Win User
    I didn't notice anything unusual lately - even after Insider build update. It's unobtrusive. This is why I would like to see which task or process is causing that for OP...

AndreTen, Apr 5, 2018
  11. Yep. If it's lagging behind a lot, then it can take a long time to get through the process as there are many tasks it performs. If system is on a big fat and slow HDD rather than SSD, then it can take a really long time to complete.

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
  12. AndreTen Win User
    Try it out manually. I just did. It takes around 4 to 5 sec of complete CPU, after this short period (all system processes went crazy) there is system activity with app, 25% CPU maintaining NTFS, MBR etc. running for 5 minutes now and going.

and it's visible in Maintenance too

AndreTen, Apr 6, 2018
  13. Automatic Maintenance Bug?

I caught my CPU today running over 80% with Windows System Assessment Tool in task manager. I am guessing it is related to this thread subject. First time I have ever seen this happen since I got Windows 10 couple years ago. Mine is scheduled to run at 6AM. No clue.

Access Denied, Apr 6, 2018
  14. AndreTen Win User
    You can disable WinSAT, if it's too aggressive:
    Open Task scheduler, on the left in Library find Microsoft /Windows / Maintenance - you will find WinSAT task there - on the right side selcet "Disable"

AndreTen, Apr 6, 2018
  15. Redbatman Win User
    I did it manually and even after that it was still doing it. So I decided to restart my PC and it has seemed to go away. My issue was though is that it was saying that it was doing automatic maintenance yet immediately after touch it would list the time I resumed my PC and I would look at my event viewer and nothing was happening. So I don't why it was showing it was doing maintenance at the time when it clearly didn't happen.

Redbatman, Apr 6, 2018
Thema:

Automatic Maintenance Bug?

1. Automatic Maintenance Bug? - Similar Threads - Automatic Maintenance Bug

2. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  3. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  4. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. automatic maintenance at every moment

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    automatic maintenance at every moment: Una pregunta de excusa ... el chkdsk se hace cada vez, causando errores en mis programas instalados y en este último en mi propio disco duro, y veo un tutorial para desactivarlo, pero no estoy seguro de si fue desactivado, lo hice del regedit MaintenanceDisabled = 1, como...
  6. Automatic Maintenance

Automatic Maintenance: This feature was accessed about 45 minutes ago and is still running. How do I get it to complete the maintenance, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-maintenance/40119d17-0c2e-41b4-9982-19d4ec0cfe38
  7. automatic maintenance win 10

automatic maintenance win 10: i want to disable this feature how to do it? as i have new ssd if this defragments my ssd it may be bad for my ssd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/automatic-maintenance-win-10/833e5b55-d483-407f-8341-4606edf1e27d
  8. Disable automatic maintenance?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disable automatic maintenance?: Since the task Idle Maintenance and Regular Maintenance does not present in Task Scheduler anymore in Windows 10, does anyone know how to disable automatic maintenance? 17025
  9. Automatic maintenance and windows.old

Automatic maintenance and windows.old: I know windows.old can be purged by the user but I am curious about how often disk clean up runs as part of automatic maintenance. After the upgrade to fall creators both our machines were left with sizeable 20 odd gigs of windows.old i left it about ten days and then gave...
  10. How to disable automatic maintenance?

How to disable automatic maintenance?: I want to disable automatic maintenance because my new SSD is arriving soon, and since SSDs have a limited life span, I want to preserve them as much as possible. ( I know modern SSDs can last a loooooooooong time, I just want to be super careful with mine. *Smile)...