Windows 10: Backup File History doesn't appear to be working / Missing folders

Discus and support Backup File History doesn't appear to be working / Missing folders in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Greetings all! I've been working with my music library, and in a moment of confusion I lost a considerable part of my library. I couldn't recover... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jrt_q, Jan 25, 2019.

1. jrt_q Win User

Backup File History doesn't appear to be working / Missing folders

Greetings all!

I've been working with my music library, and in a moment of confusion I lost a considerable part of my library. I couldn't recover from the Recycle Bin because when I deleted the files Windows informed me there were too many files and if I wanted to permanently delete them. I thought they were duplicates, so I did. They weren't.

I've had File History running to an external drive since July of last year, set for Daily. When I went to restore the files from backup, they were not there. My last backup appeared to be in August of last year. There is one for January 21st (today is 25th), but the number of folders dropped from 172 in my music folder on the previous backup, to 62. From File Manager, there are 186 folders current as of now.

Knowing that File History runs when it can, sure it may miss a few days if the PC is powered down or whatever. It'll run when it get an opportunity to do so. Nothing for today, so I manually executed a backup. Looking at Restore again, nothing for today. Searching from File Manager in my backup drive the new CDs were not there. Still from File Manager, the music dir itself contained 172 folders, most have a modified date of 7/28 and 8/4 of 2018. Again, still 62 folders from the Windows Restore. My backup drive has 1.43 TB free.

I had a career of close to 40 years in telecommunications and maintaining reliable backups was an essential part of it. I seldom worked on anything like a PC or Windows - primarily linux midrange servers. But that many years instilled in me a abnormally high sense of the importance of backups. I would seriously like to know what is going on here. I am tempted to wipe my backup drive and start again, but the brainfart I described in my first paragraph makes me reluctant to do so. Windows simplifies itself too much for my taste so getting the details I want eludes me.

Any advice or help appreciated!

-jrt

:)

jrt_q, Jan 25, 2019
  2. Leen76 Win User

Backup These Folders in File History

My Pictures and My Videos folders are inside the My Documents folder. In File History all three folders are listed in the Backup These Folders list. Does this mean that because of this, files in Pictures and Videos are backuped twice? Once when backing up
    My Documents and once when backing up My Pictures and My Videos (included in My Documents)

Leen76, Jan 25, 2019
  3. ALN
    ALN Win User
    How to remove folders from File History

That does not work. Even though I do the delete from the "Back up these folders" from the list, it still backs it up - and when I close out of Settings and then go back in, the folder re-appears in the list.

However, Mila's suggestion worked. Is it possible that folders in my Library cannot be removed from the "Back up these folders" list?

4. Backup File History doesn't appear to be working / Missing folders

How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

Backup File History doesn't appear to be working / Missing folders

1. Backup File History doesn't appear to be working / Missing folders - Similar Threads - Backup File History

2. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  3. Previous backup not appearing in File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Previous backup not appearing in File History: My PC laptop is having a keyboard issue, and it was recommended that I back up my files and reset my computer + clear files to see if the issue resolved itself. After resetting my computer, I am trying to restore my files to the backup I made on an external hard drive using...
  4. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  5. Unable to add folders to File History Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to add folders to File History Backup: Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right place to post. I’m trying to create a backup as part of a course and I’m running into issues. The assignment specifies using backup and restore (windows 7) for this, but when I click on setup backup nothing happens. The spinning wheel...
  6. file history, adding folders to backup

file history, adding folders to backup: How do you backup file history? windows 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-adding-folders-to-backup/b3568a24-a3c3-48dd-a5c6-e625870bcd15
  7. Some folders are missing in File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some folders are missing in File History: I have a strange issue because I can find some folders in Properties but File History panel doesn’t show them. How can I make them visible from the Control Panel?...
  8. File History Backup and Appdata folders

File History Backup and Appdata folders: I have two home computers both on an Office 365 subscription, Windows 10. Many ‘C:\...User’ folders are included in ‘File History, Backup’ by default but the ‘User\AppData’ folder is not. Is it a good idea to include any of the AppData folders in backups? For example,...
  9. How to backup my computer? File History doesn't seem to work...!

How to backup my computer? File History doesn't seem to work...!: I have enabled File History, and set it so the system will do so, while deleting the oldest versions of files as the external device is full. But when I try to look at previous versions of individual files through "Properties", it says none are available..! What to do..?...
  10. Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10: How to: Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10 How to Manually Create a File History Backup in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to...