Windows 10: bad perfromance on HDD/Windows 10

Discus and support bad perfromance on HDD/Windows 10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; soo..recently i reinstalled windows 10 to run away from bad performance..here i am things what i have done so far. disabled defender and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by aivislv, Aug 18, 2017.

1. aivislv Win User

bad perfromance on HDD/Windows 10

soo..recently i reinstalled windows 10 to run away from bad performance..here i am
    things what i have done so far. disabled defender and search/cortana
    and i still end up with dips of performance with hdd usage and ram usage..omg
    right now i am using 49% ram and without anything open i use 40% of ram, that is 1,5 GB..that is too much for a fresh install.
    my specs
    i5 6200U
    Nvidia Gforce 940M
    4Gb DDR3 ram
    1tb WD hard drive
    but performance is amazing when i play cpu and ram dependent games. far cry 4 60fps on low/medium. need for speed most wanted 2012 60fps medium and Leauge of legends 80Fps everything high without Anti-aliasing.(I know this is not gaming laptop, but still..impressive numbers)

How can i push more out of my laptop? i want to decrease ram usage and decrease number of apps and programs using hdd all the time. please help me
    mind one thing..this is fresh install, i want to get rid of windows cr^pware too

:)

aivislv, Aug 18, 2017
  2. cuttajoe Win User

Windows 10 Performance Issue on .Net Framework Windows Forms Application

We run our winforms application under .Net Framework 4.5.1.

We encounter very bad perfromance running under Windows 10.

We have no problems under Windows 7.

Have anyone encountered similar problems? May someone found even a solution for this problem?

cuttajoe, Aug 18, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Windows 10 reports incorrect hard drive make and model

Hmmm, Windows 10 is bad at recognizing HDD's and SSD's it is not a real problem as for the most part, HDD's use a common driver.

I have seen Windows 10 recognizing a HDD as an SSD and this is an issue as the users cannot defrag their HDD's

Maybe see if there is a firmware update for your HDD on the manufacturer's website, this may kick Windows 10 into recognizing it correctly

DaveM121, Aug 18, 2017
  4. Porthos Win User

SSD would be your next step.

Porthos, Aug 18, 2017
  5. Windows preloads stuff into unused memory, it is not an issue, if you have got amazing performance.

If you get stuttering playing games, try to disable game mode.

Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10 Windows 10 Gaming Tutorials

TairikuOkami, Aug 18, 2017
  6. Helmut Win User
    Simple, get more RAM, 4 GB is just not enough. 8 GB minimum these days.

My simple reasoning goes like this, 1.7 GB Windows 10(at idle) and up to 1.7 GB for the iGPU that leaves very little for Applications in a worse case scenario, barely 500 MB.

Thus you can see that getting up to 8 GB gives you 0.5 GB < 4.5 GB for applications.

This stops most swops to HDD/SSD due to lack of RAM.

4 years ago when buying this Laptop I specified 8 GB of RAM, minimum.

Large SSDs are expensive relative to a 1 TB HDD. That will change over time of course as SSDs come down in price. However it still does not negate the basic lack of RAM.

Helmut, Aug 19, 2017
  7. SSD and RAM upgrade to 16GB if M.2 NVMe is supported, don't hesitate to get one over SATA

theveterans, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. bad perfromance on HDD/Windows 10 - Similar Threads - bad perfromance HDD

2. How to improve computer perfromance in Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to improve computer perfromance in Windows 11.: Hello! I am Krishna! My computer is a HP All-in-one. My computer was very fast when it was in Windows 10. After I upgraded to Windows 11, everything was fine until after about 3 months, the computer started to get slower and slower. I recently noticed it is taking a huge...
  3. How to improve computer perfromance in Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to improve computer perfromance in Windows 11.: Hello! I am Krishna! My computer is a HP All-in-one. My computer was very fast when it was in Windows 10. After I upgraded to Windows 11, everything was fine until after about 3 months, the computer started to get slower and slower. I recently noticed it is taking a huge...
  4. reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.: I have an encrypted external HDD bitlocker. Due to badclusters, the bitlocker window hanged as soon as correct password is entered. Now somehow after repeated attempts I have managed to enter HDD. Now I am trying to repair bad clusters through chkdsk in PowerShell. Now the...
  5. HDD is about to fail, bad sectors...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDD is about to fail, bad sectors...: So I have a problem with my HDD (Seagate Barracuda 2TB st2000dm008 7200 RPM) that I bought in May 2020, I've been using it since then, and when I checked it's health in HD sentinel and other programs it showed %4 health like on this screen: [ATTACH] I currently have no...
  6. Bad HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad HDD: Years ago I had a tool called "WD CLEAR". It would format almost anything. I need to format a hard drive installed in a laptop so I can reinstall Windows. Any suggestions appreciated 164299
  7. SSD + bad HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD + bad HDD?: My hdd currently has 16 bad sectors and disk usage is always throttled to 100%. would performance increase if i install os in a ssd and use hdd alongside with it? will my hdd cause any performance issue? submitted by /u/Anindo9416 [link] [comments]...
  8. Bad sectors in HDD question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bad sectors in HDD question: I got a new HDD Seagate Barracuda 1 TB this August 2019. And now I have 2016 bad sectors in it. My previous WD 1 TB HDD which was 1 year old also failed due to bad sectors. I wanted to ask why my new HDDs getting bad sectors so quickly. I shut down my pc properly and I do...
  9. Ping spikes for no apparent reason and general bad perfromance of Wi Fi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ping spikes for no apparent reason and general bad perfromance of Wi Fi: I'm using a wi-fi adapter but i noticed a bit of loading time on phones aswell so it doesn't seem to be because of the adapter. I believe it might be a problem with the wi-fi but nothing changed in my setup and all of a sudden it started underperforming. When i ping...
  10. Is there any way of fixing a 'Bad' HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there any way of fixing a 'Bad' HDD?: [img] 93412

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 bad hdd performance