Windows 10: Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 15019, a new Game... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by s0urce, Apr 30, 2017.

1. s0urce Win User

Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 build 15019, a new Game Mode feature has been added that can optimize your Windows 10 PC for an improvement in game performance and best possible experience.

When you use Game Mode, Windows prioritizes your gaming experience. When youre running a game, Game Mode:
    • Prevents Windows Update from performing driver installations and sending restart notifications.
    • Helps achieve a more stable frame rate depending on the specific game and system.
    Starting with Windows 10 build 16251, some users may see Game Mode enabled in the Game Bar by default for some of their games.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Game Mode for your account in Windows 10.

*note It's possible that not every game will work with Game Mode right now.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Game Mode in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Game Mode using a REG file
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Game Mode for Individual Games in Game Bar Settings
    • Option Four: To Turn On or Off Game Mode for Individual Games on Game Bar

EXAMPLE: Introducing Game Mode for Windows 10

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Game Mode in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Gaming icon.

2. Click/tap on Game Mode on the left side, and turn on (default) or off Game Mode on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Game Mode using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD values in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\GameBar

AllowAutoGameMode and AutoGameModeEnabled DWORDs

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Game Mode
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_on_Game_Mode.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Game Mode
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_off_Game_Mode.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn On or Off Game Mode for Individual Games in Game Bar Settings

*note This option is no longer available starting with Windows 10 build 17692.

*note You will need to have Game Mode turned on using Option One or Option Two above to use Game Mode for individual games from the Game bar.

*note The Game bar will only be available if you have Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar turned on in Settings->Game bar.
    1. While playing a UWP or Win32 game, press the Win+G keys to open the Game bar.

2. If prompted, check the Yes, this is a game box. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Settings button. (see screenshot below)

4. Check (on) or uncheck (off) the Use Game Mode for this game box for what you want, and close the Game bar.(see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Turn On or Off Game Mode for Individual Games on Game Bar

*note This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 16215.

*note You will need to have Game Mode turned on using Option One or Option Two above to use Game Mode for individual games from the Game bar.

*note The Game bar will only be available if you have Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar turned on in Settings->Game bar.
    1. While playing a UWP or Win32 game, press the Win+G keys to open the Game bar.

2. If prompted, check the Yes, this is a game box. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Game Mode button to turn Game Mode on or off for the current game, and close the Game bar. (see screenshots below)
    (ON)

(OFF)

*note Starting with Dedicate resources for Game Mode instead.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

s0urce, Apr 30, 2017

2. Questions about 'Game mode' in Windows 10 Creators Update.

I don't see an answer there. The question was should the Game Bar and then theoretically Game Mode be left on or off? if it gets turned on automatically by a game and stays on, is it devoting memory and processing to a game that's no longer being played?
    In other words do I need to constantly check and see if it's been turned on by a game automatically or will Game Bar turn Game Mode on and off automatically. I found my windows 10 in Game Mode and I don't play games on this machine. So what's the answer?

Fidola1961, Apr 30, 2017
  3. Dual monitor problems

Yes I am running Windows 10 Version 1709 and when I go to the game mode settings it says that "This PC supports game mode", but doesn't have options to turn it on or off.

Eetu Häkkinen, Apr 30, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Interesting. Thank you for sharing. *Smile

Brink, Apr 30, 2017
  5. Hi,
    Yep it's been posted a few times to disable game mode even before benchmarking it does make a difference
    Just more cool-aid for win-10 possibly it works great on a windows phone or surface *Biggrin

ThrashZone, Apr 30, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
  7. Stephanie Win User
    Game mode is on thank you Shawn, great tutorial *Smile

Stephanie, May 1, 2017
  8. Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10

TairikuOkami, May 1, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
  10. klepp0906 Win User
    ive got a bit of an intersting issue and im pretty much at a loss. If you cant help, its gonna be what it is.

I upgraded from creators update to redstone 3 yesterday. All the issues it presented I was able to resolve except this one.

My gaming section within pc settings has the game mode subsection. Said subsection says "this pc supports game mode" however there is NO slider/option to toggle it on or off lol.

If i check the registry its disabled fwiw. Its unlikely i'll use it but should I decide to I'd like to have the option wh ere its supposed to be and i question what else could be effected by whatevers causing it to be missing.

Anything in group policy or tweakable that could/would effect that? Annoys me it was just present in 1703 and I dont want to roll back over just that but ugh.

klepp0906, Oct 11, 2017
  11. TairikuOkami, Oct 11, 2017
  12. klepp0906 Win User
    Is that something they just changed with redstone 3? Got rid of the global toggle?

I looked in the registry and auto enable is set to 0 fwiw.

More concerned with whether the slider is still supposed to be there or not and if not why/how to fix.

Thank you for your reply!

klepp0906, Oct 11, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Klepp,

It appears that there's no longer an on/off toggle for Game Mode in Settings (option 1) anymore in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 1709.

You can still use the other options though.

Brink, Oct 11, 2017
  14. klepp0906 Win User
    Excellent news! As always thank you!

Means I didn’t break anything and can carry on worry free lol.

klepp0906, Oct 11, 2017
  15. marre023 Win User
    I tried to use W+G and about 10 other combinations without it working. When i go to Settings->Gaming->Gameplay it says that "my computer allows game play" but i dotn have any option to turn it on/off.

Anybody ells with this problem?

marre023, Oct 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Game

2. Game Mode & Game Bar won't turn off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game Mode & Game Bar won't turn off: I've turned both Game mode and Xbox Game Bar off in my settings, but somehow this hasn't turned off either of these. I'm not entirely sure what to do, any help would be appreciated....
  3. Game Mode & Game Bar won't turn off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Game Mode & Game Bar won't turn off: I've turned both Game mode and Xbox Game Bar off in my settings, but somehow this hasn't turned off either of these. I'm not entirely sure what to do, any help would be appreciated....
  4. Game Mode keeps turning off on Windows 11, Game Mode is disabled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game Mode keeps turning off on Windows 11, Game Mode is disabled.: I have gone in my settings and turned game mode off settings>gaming>game mode then turned the switch to off and also followed the steps I found in this answer...
  5. Game Mode keeps turning off on Windows 11, Game Mode is disabled.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Game Mode keeps turning off on Windows 11, Game Mode is disabled.: I have gone in my settings and turned game mode off settings>gaming>game mode then turned the switch to off and also followed the steps I found in this answer...
  6. Game Mode keeps turning on and off on Windows 10, Game Mode is disabled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game Mode keeps turning on and off on Windows 10, Game Mode is disabled.: I have gone in my settings and turned game mode off settings>gaming>game mode then turned the switch to off and also followed the steps I found in this answer...
  7. How to Turn off Game Mode in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Turn off Game Mode in Windows 10?: I know how to get to the game mode section in windows 10 but there isnt a option to turn it off on my PC. When I click on Game Mode from the gaming section it just says This PC supports Game Mode with no option to turn it on or off. Any help would be amazing and THANKS!...
  8. How to Turn Off Game Mode Notifications in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Turn Off Game Mode Notifications in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Windows 10 has native gaming support using Game Mode feature. This feature brings along the Game Bar which is basically a set of control to record, broadcast, take a screenshot, and turn game mode on or off. While everything is [...] This post How to Turn Off Game...
  9. Turn On or Off Game Mode Notifications in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Game Mode Notifications in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Game Mode Notifications in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Game Mode feature has been added that can optimize your Windows 10 PC for an improvement in game performance and best possible experience. When you turn on the Game Mode...
  10. Turn On or Off Offline Mode for Games in Store in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Offline Mode for Games in Store in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Offline Mode for Games in Store in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Play Store Games Offline on Windows 10 PC [img] Information If you’re planning to be in an area with no online coverage, such as on a long-distance flight or a sailing...