Windows 10: Best Disk Repair tool? (not chkdsk)

Discus and support Best Disk Repair tool? (not chkdsk) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've not needed a disk repair tool in a long time. However, I now have a 3TB drive that's failing on me. It works for a while and then stops being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mystere, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Mystere Win User

Best Disk Repair tool? (not chkdsk)

I've not needed a disk repair tool in a long time. However, I now have a 3TB drive that's failing on me. It works for a while and then stops being recognized.

I've tried disk imaging it with Macrium, but it fails partway through with disk read errors.

I used to use Spinrite to fix this in the old days, but Spinrite doesn't really work on larger drives (over 1TB). Is there any other decent tool that will scan and repair bad sectors (if possible)?

:)

Mystere, Jun 5, 2015

2. chkdsk

Hi Nikolaos,

Chkdsk process normally takes a length of time, because it is repairing bad sectors within your disk. It will be best to wait and not interrupt the process since sudden interruption of this process might cause damages within your system files.

Let us know if further assistance is needed.

Darleen Pen, Jun 5, 2015
  3. disk c repair

You might need to use /r switch to repair bad sectors on the drive. However, no 100 percent guarantee that it would fix that.

Open an Admin Command Prompt and type the following command:

chkdsk /r

A disk check would be scheduled at next restart. Let it do the same and see the results.

If you in case missed the results, have a look at:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/40822-read-...

to see past chkdsk results.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 5, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

What brand hard drive is it? Sometimes the manufactures have good tools.

Dude, Jun 5, 2015
  5. Dude is on the money - mfr first place to start - run the diags

WD
    Data Lifeguard (dos)
    Data Lifeguard (win)

Seagate
    Seatools (dos)
    Seatools (win)

Sometimes the DOS version is better - it gets Windows out of the way

Minitool Partition Wizard is a great utility
    Minitool PW Bootable CD
    Minitool PW Windows

Those diags might do more than std Windows. - run the quick scan first - then the long scan if necessary

Are you willing to buy a product, some are free, some are not, one of the best (I'll have to look it up, cast about $50.

If you're willing to spend time learning disk recovery, the TestDisk and Photorec are very good and they are free - they're a little above the average end user's comfort level - but there are step-by-step instructions.

Depending if you need to recover files or diag your disk, there are more tools.

Recuva by Pirifom works well too.

Slartybart, Jun 5, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Those Mfr tools are good for diagnostics, but not very good for advanced repair scenarios. Spinrite uses a method where it reads a bad sector over and over until it gets a large number of similar reads and can guess that it has the best possible result, then It rewrites the sector somewhere else, marking that one bad.

Mini-tool looks like it's designed to recover deleted files and partitions. It mentions damaged partitions, but it only seems to be in the context of corruption of the partition format.. not sector repair.

Recuva also seems targeted at deleted or lost file recovery. I'm not trying to do that.. I'm trying to recover bad sectors so I can create a disk image. Even if the sectors are ultimately lost, I need them marked bad so I can at least recover what I can. I'm just looking for something that's more thorough than Chkdsk.

Mystere, Jun 5, 2015
  7. I know this is an old thread, but I feel something should be corrected. Manufacturer's tools can be good for advanced repair scenarios. I had a seagate drive that kept doing the same thing. the only fix for it was using seagate tools. For those who have this problem in the future, I'd recommend such tools.

jasoncollege24, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Best Disk Repair tool? (not chkdsk) - Similar Threads - Best Disk Repair

2. How to run chkdsk to repair the hard disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to run chkdsk to repair the hard disk: Recently one of my friends asked me about doing a disk scan because their hard disk has reduced functionality and I am asking this on behalf of him....
  3. How to run chkdsk to repair the hard disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to run chkdsk to repair the hard disk: Recently one of my friends asked me about doing a disk scan because their hard disk has reduced functionality and I am asking this on behalf of him....
  4. How to run chkdsk to repair the hard disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. chkdsk repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    chkdsk repair: Hello, I have just run chkdsk on my windows 10, Dell XPS 8700. It found a lot of errors, and repaired these. After exiting chkdsk, my pc started to load with the revolving thingy on the screen, and my hard drive is very active. This has been going on for over 2 hours now....
  6. CHKDSK shorter if disk not full?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CHKDSK shorter if disk not full?: Hello, i got a new disk and going to fullfill it with my backups. Usually i do a test right out of the box but this time i just thought it's better to do it AFTER the copy since it's going to be a long one and could potentially (normally not) do some change and create/reveal...
  7. CHKDSK checks all disks!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CHKDSK checks all disks!: Hi Folks, Just a quick question. Windows 10 latest version from the iso. I am running W7 on an SSD but have just performed a new install of W10 onto another HDD. I have 2 additional HDD's which are just used for backup with clones of the W7 disk. All went well for a few...
  8. Windows Disk Error checking tool & chkdsk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Disk Error checking tool & chkdsk: Hello, I have a 2TB drive with what looks to be some bad clusters. I've run a couple of FULL formats without issue using both exFAT & NTFS formats, and the windows GUI disk check passes them, however in both cases, chkdsk /R freezes permanently at the 2% mark. Is there...
  9. Best backup and sync tool

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best backup and sync tool: That was it! It was FAT32. I deleted the old image files x4, and re-formated that USB stick to NTFS, and created a new image on that. Now I have one backup image file. Thank you : ) Glad it worked out!
  10. Hard disk failed and chkdsk?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard disk failed and chkdsk?: I have a disk that mainly contains data files. My disk have bad sectors and some of the files cannot be moved to another disk (it will stuck when moving and never complete 100%), most files are still normal (can read/edit/move). My Macrium reflect software is unable to do a...