Windows 10: Biggest disappointment Long file names don't work

Discus and support Biggest disappointment Long file names don't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there I was really hoping for the Long file names to work (> 260 chars inc Directory names) -- No go --still don't work. I've some other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Aug 2, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Biggest disappointment Long file names don't work

Hi there

I was really hoping for the Long file names to work (> 260 chars inc Directory names) -- No go --still don't work.

I've some other issues - but this is a real disappointment.

Cheers
    Jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 2, 2016

2. N96 Problems and disspointment

Biggest disappointment for me was that youtube videos do not work even they should...

hornet---01, Aug 2, 2016
  3. Long file names that are not long

Hi,

Thank for letting us know about the issue.

I am glad to know that your issue is fixed. If you face any issue or needs assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you

Uttam Yadav, Aug 2, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

swarfega, Aug 2, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @swarfega

On One system I got Windows can't find gpedit.msc and on the other there's no long file names option.

The one with no gpedit.msc is the one updated via Automatic update and the other vis the update assistant tool so even the updates aren't identical

What a dogs dinner --surely people test this stuff before letting it out of the door. This is BASIC !! to have the update consistent on systems. Both running W10 x-64 Pro GB edition and version is (on both) Version 1607 (Os Build 14393.10) ??????

I think in future I'll wait a few weeks before doing anything like this again.
    I've backed up both, installed in VM's in case there's some testing I can do meanwhile and reverted back to 1511.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 2, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    Who knows, maybe it's different again on the home edition. Are you able to test that?

swarfega, Aug 2, 2016
  7. altae Win User
    Jimbo45 is right, the option has been removed.

altae, Aug 2, 2016
  8. Biggest disappointment Long file names don't work

The Home edition doesn't have the Group Policy Editor so I wouldn't expect to find a gpedit.msc on those systems.

alphanumeric, Aug 2, 2016
  9. It's not there in Group Policy for me either, Windows 10 Education 1607

alphanumeric, Aug 2, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 2, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I tried that too --although registry keys were changed / created didn't work even after re-boot.

Temporary solution - run VM in HYPER-V / VMware and run server from Linux VM.

Another issue is VMware - BRIDGED networking doesn't work --could be a while before VMWARE fixes that. Using NAT isn't an acceptable alternative unfortunately.

I'll keep 1511 until some of the early adopters have got issues fixed. !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 2, 2016
  12. altae Win User
    Once more jimbo45, bridged networking works. Please take a look at the output of ifconfig, executed in my virtual machine (Fedora 24) under VMWare Workstation 12 Pro. You can clearly see that an IP of my LAN pool has been assigned to the virtual machine by the router (network is 192.168.1.0/24). I've also attached a screenshot of the virtual network editor.

What software of VMWare (player or workstation) do you use? And what version? On my system the existing network configuration for VMWare Workstation also stopped working after the update. But restoring defaults fixed that issue.

altae, Aug 2, 2016
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    @altae

VMware workstation with Host restored back to 1511 which is working fine.

Biggest disappointment Long file names don't work [​IMG]

It doesn't work with the new Windows (Windows build 1607)

I've tried this on TWO totally different physical machines as well. Same result.

When you start the VM in the updated Windows you get vmnet0 not available - will start with vmnet0 disconnected so ifconfig won't be of any use.

NAT works OK but I NEED Bridged for various applications that the VM has to be accessible to from a variety of different Networks with different subnets,

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 2, 2016
  14. altae Win User
    That's exactly what happened on my host. But I fixed it like this:

1. In VMWare Workstation go to "Edit\Virtual Network Editor"
    2. Click on the button "Change Settings" which requests admin rights in order to show all virtual network adapters.

3. Click on the button in the lower left corner "Restore Defaults".
    4. Configure the virtual network adapters according to your needs.

I've set up VMNet0 (bridged) and VMNet 1 (host-only) and deleted the NAT adapter because I don't need that one. And now everything works as before the update. Give it a try, it should work for you too.

altae, Aug 2, 2016
  15. cereberus Win User
    I cannot find the GPE entry in RS1 that is shown in the tutorial. It is almost as if MS pulled long names at the last minute?

cereberus, Aug 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Biggest disappointment Long file names don't work - Similar Threads - Biggest disappointment Long

2. File name too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File name too long: I still have an issue with the error "the file name is too long", although it is not. Ihave changed the value in the longpathsenable Keyloccalmachine using registry editor, restarted and same issue !Please advise !...
  3. Disappointed with the long update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disappointed with the long update: I got the update in 22H2 in my Windows11 and when I install it, took my time and effort for this then when it restarts it says undoing changes and nothing is updated once i get back to desktop. I want to install the update but it keeps coming back to its current version....
  4. Disappointed with the long update

Disappointed with the long update: I got the update in 22H2 in my Windows11 and when I install it, took my time and effort for this then when it restarts it says undoing changes and nothing is updated once i get back to desktop. I want to install the update but it keeps coming back to its current version....
  5. Files with a very long path and file name don't open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files with a very long path and file name don't open: Files with a very long name in a nested subfolder do not open unless a copy is made or the folder path property is removed.Interestingly, the File Location in the General properties tab starts with //?D:/ but the folder path in the Details tab starts just with just D:/ I have...
  6. Files with a very long path and file name don't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files with a very long path and file name don't open: Files with a very long name in a nested subfolder do not open unless a copy is made or the folder path property is removed.Interestingly, the File Location in the General properties tab starts with //?D:/ but the folder path in the Details tab starts just with just D:/ I have...
  7. Files with a very long path and file name don't open

8. File name too long

in Windows 10 Support
    File name too long: I run Win10: [img] And a browser save on the HDD disk, with filename counting 255 letters. And I cannot rename it, move it, or delete it. And I have enabled in the group policy Win32 long file names: Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10 How can I get rid of...
  9. file name too long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file name too long: how to resolve this issue in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-too-long/783521af-d0ec-410b-826e-67a50a90159c"
  10. Long File Name Crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    Long File Name Crashes: Hi, I appreciate that there are a lot of queries regarding the file names exceeding 260 characters, but when i try to open my folders to rename the files to shorter names I don't get the chance to do this as the window just shuts down again before I can do anything. Is there...