Windows 10: Black screen on login! Please help!

Discus and support Black screen on login! Please help! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So.. I screwed up.. I used a small program called something like Windows 10 Login Background Changer (something along those lines) and when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Invisicow, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Invisicow Win User

Black screen on login! Please help!

So.. I screwed up..

I used a small program called something like Windows 10 Login Background Changer (something along those lines) and when I restarted my computer, it never reached the login screen. I can move the mouse and open Magnifier (was pushing random controls), but I don't know how to get past here.

... This was a terrible idea *Sad

:)

Invisicow, Jul 22, 2015
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Black screen after login. Please help

Hi Anthony,

To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Have you tried the troubleshooting steps on this
      link
      and see if you will still encounter the same issue?
    • Have you tried the troubleshooting steps on this
      link
      that was provided by Greg Carmack - Windows MVP on September 26, 2016 and see if you will still encounter the same issue?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Jul 22, 2015
  3. Black screen after login. Please help

I just bought a nice used gaming pc , hooked it up to a monitor, then logged into an account with no password , then a black screen shows up with nothing but my cursor, even though i press ctrl-alt-delete to bring up the task manager , task manager doesnt
    show up , i have tried numerous ways to fix im really stressed out, its my first gaming computer ever. PLEASE HELP ME ,. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

anthonycothron18, Jul 22, 2015
  4. Black screen on login! Please help!

same thign happend to me useless background changer app
    but i had backup files so worked for me.. did u backup last time?

remostalin, Jul 22, 2015
  5. TairikuOkami, Jul 22, 2015
  6. Invisicow Win User
    I'm following this guide (http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2...e-windows.html) but when I typed the command BCDEDIT /SET BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY the prompt says "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be found." Since I'm already at the command prompt, are there any other alternatives?

Invisicow, Jul 22, 2015
  7. Invisicow Win User
    bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal

This one gives me the same problem. The top of the prompt window says Administrator: X:\windows\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe

What I'm confused about is that I don't have an X drive. Is this why it isn't working?

Invisicow, Jul 22, 2015
  8. Invisicow Win User

Solved this by restoring windows into a previous build. Thanks everyone!

Invisicow, Jul 22, 2015
  9. glad to Here *Smile helpful to restore at the stratup TFS *Thumbs

remostalin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Black screen on login! Please help! - Similar Threads - Black screen login

2. Black Screen help please

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black Screen help please: Anyone please help me , first i got a blue screen after i go to a certain restore point then after i restart the laptop and log in it became all black with a mouse cursor. I tried to access the task manager but it says reinstall Duser.dllNext is i tried to go to a certain...
  3. Black Screen help please

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen help please: Anyone please help me , first i got a blue screen after i go to a certain restore point then after i restart the laptop and log in it became all black with a mouse cursor. I tried to access the task manager but it says reinstall Duser.dllNext is i tried to go to a certain...
  4. Black Screen help please

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Solution to black screen? Help please!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Solution to black screen? Help please!: Sometimes my laptop starts up fine, then other times it becomes stuck on a black screen (I can see my cursor if I click) and never loads. I have to hard reset then it’s fine. The symptoms that it will get stuck on a black screen when I next boot it up are as follows:...
  6. BLACK SCREEN PLEASE HELP!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BLACK SCREEN PLEASE HELP!: Today i turned on my pc as usual, but i had some troubles...[ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-please-help/7fcdc8a1-13a6-44d6-8bb7-1be326d1d706
  7. Black screen PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen PLEASE HELP: While playing games my screen with randomly go black for a few seconds and then come back. It crashes some of my games and i have been unable to resolve this by myself so I am asking on here for anyone please help me! My error from security and maintenance details is here....
  8. Black Screen---No Mouse---Please help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen---No Mouse---Please help: Computer model: Lenovo Y700 Microsoft 10 6th gen i7 processor It has 2 graphics cards: NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 960M 2GB NVIDIA® GTX 960M 4 GB GDD5 ​16 gigs RAM Ok my computer is having a problem with a black screen. This computer is brand new, arrived on the 14th. I...
  9. Black Screen With Cursor PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen With Cursor PLEASE HELP: Okay so I'm panicking a bit here. Installed the 'Windows 10 Login Screen Changer' that I found on this forum, clicked 'change background' and bam...black screen. I turned the computer off and on again and still black screen with a Cursor. Ctrl Alt Del does nothing. My...
  10. PLEASE HELP! black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    PLEASE HELP! black screen: Hi, i have been getting a black screen even on safe mode, so basically cant do anything just, The only thing that i can do is run the troubleshoot. Im not sure why this happened, at the beginning i thought it was a problem with my gpu or some drivers, so i went in safe mode...