Windows 10: Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10

Discus and support Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 How to Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode Safe mode starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by endeavor, Oct 7, 2014.

1. endeavor Win User

Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10

How to: Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10

How to Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode

Safe mode starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers. It can help you troubleshoot problems on your PC. For example, if the problem doesn't happen in safe mode, you'll know default settings and basic device drivers aren't causing the issue.

There are three different safe mode options:
    • Enable Safe Mode: Starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services.
    • Enable Safe Mode with Networking: Starts Windows in safe mode and includes the network drivers and services needed to access the Internet or other computers on your network.
    • Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt: Starts Windows in safe mode with a Command Prompt window instead of the usual Windows interface. This option is intended for IT pros and system admins.
    When you boot to Safe Mode, you will only be able to sign in with your password, and not with any other sign-in option (ex: PIN).

You will not be able to open Windows apps while in Safe Mode.

Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 [​IMG]

Starting with Passwordless sign-in journey by adding Windows Hello PIN sign-in support to Safe mode, so that you no longer have rely on your password when troubleshooting your device.

This tutorial will show you how to start Windows 10 in normal mode, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, and Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to start Windows in Safe Mode.

You will only be able to sign in using your account's password while in Safe Mode.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode using Advanced Startup Options
    • Option Two: Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode using System Configuration (msconfig)
    • Option Three: Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode using Command Prompt

EXAMPLE: Windows 10 in Safe Mode

OPTION ONE [/i] Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode using Advanced Startup Options
    1 Boot to advanced startup options.

2 Click/tap on Troubleshoot. (see screenshot below)

3 Click/tap on Advanced options. (see screenshot below)

4 Click/tap on Start Settings. (see screenshot below)

5 Click/tap on Restart. (see screenshot below)

6 When your computer restarts press the key below for what mode you would like to start Windows 10 in. (see screenshot below)
    [table][tr][td]Key to Press[/td] [td]Mode[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Enter[/td] [td]Normal Mode (default)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4 or F4[/td] [td]Safe Mode[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5 or F5[/td] [td]Safe Mode with Networking[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]6 or F6[/td] [td]Safe Mode with Command Prompt[/td] [/tr] [/table]

OPTION TWO [/i] Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode using System Configuration (msconfig)
    1 Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type msconfig, and click/tap on OK.

2 If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3 Click/tap on the Boot tab in System Configuration, and do step 4, step 5, step 6, or step 7 below for what mode you would like to start Windows 10 in.

4. To Start Windows 10 in Normal Mode
    This is the default setting.

A) Uncheck Safe boot under Boot options, check Make all boot settings permanent, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on Yes, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

5. To Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode
    A) Under Boot options, check Safe boot and select (dot) Minimal, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode with Networking
    A) Under Boot options, check Safe boot and select (dot) Network, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    A) Under Boot options, check Safe boot and select (dot) Alternate shell, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8 Click/tap on Restart to apply. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode using Command Prompt
    1 Open an command prompt at boot.

2 Type bcdedit in the command prompt, and press Enter.

3 Under the top Windows Boot Manager section, look to right of default, and make note of its identifier (ex: {current}). (see screenshots below)

4 Do step 5, step 6, step 7, or step 8 below for what mode you would like to start Windows 10 in.

5. To Start Windows 10 in Normal Mode
    This is the default setting.

A) Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter.
    bcdedit /deletevalue {identifier} safeboot

Substitute identifier in the command above with the actual identifier (ex: {current}) from step 3.

For example: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

B) If you are currently in Safe Mode with Command Prompt, then you will also need to type the command below, and press Enter.
    bcdedit /deletevalue {identifier} safebootalternateshell

Substitute identifier in the command above with the actual identifier (ex: {current}) from step 3.

For example: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safebootalternateshell

C) Go to step 9 below.

6. To Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode
    A) Type the command below into the command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 9 below.
    bcdedit /set {identifier} safeboot minimal

For example: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal

7. To Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode with Networking
    A) Type the command below into the command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 9 below.
    bcdedit /set {identifier} safeboot network

For example: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot network

8. To Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    A) Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter.
    bcdedit /set {identifier} safeboot minimal

For example: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal

B) Type the command below into the command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 9 below.
    bcdedit /set {identifier} safebootalternateshell yes

For example: bcdedit /set {current} safebootalternateshell yes

9 Restart the computer.

If you are currently in Safe Mode with Command Prompt, then you could type the command below and press Enter to instantly restart the computer.

shutdown /r /t 00

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

endeavor, Oct 7, 2014

2. How do I boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10?

Power on and off your computer three times

On the third time, your computer will boot into the Advanced Recovery environment

Click Advanced Options

Click Troubleshoot

Click Advanced Options

Click Startup settings

Click Restart

Press the number 4 on your keyboard

Andre Da Costa, Oct 7, 2014
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    How do I boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10?

Hi,

Based on the details provided on this thread, to access safe mode, kindly refer to the article entitled
    "Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10".
    Or better yet, you can boot from Windows 10 install media on a USB flash drive (or DVD) and access the Advanced options. To do this, follow these steps:

• Insert the USB or flash drive to your PC and restart.

• The
      Windows Setup
      screen will pop up, select
      language and click on
      Next.

• Choose
      Repair your computer.

• Select
      Troubleshoot.

• Click on
      Advanced options

• Choose
      Command Prompt
      and enter the following commands:

• bootrec /scanos

• bootrec /fixMBR

• bootrec /fixBoot

• bootrec /rebuildBCD

• Restart PC and see if there are any changes.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Oct 7, 2014
  4. cbleman Win User

This is BS! There needs to be a way to boot directly into safe mode. F8 needs to be brought back. The automated trash we are presented with in the recovery mode is about as subtle as a hand grenade. It doesn't always work, and at times is useless to me. I want to be able to boot DIRECTLY into the safe mode, (Like all the other Windows before 8.) and see if I can find for myself EXACTLY what's wrong. Having to boot into windows to start the safe mode is self defeating. What??? If I cannot boot into windows at all I cannot get into the safe mode? REALY? If I cannot boot into Windows at all, I don't want to be forced into the automated recovery. Don't get me wrong; there are times when it can be useful, but I want an option.F8 is a tool I use(d) frequently. "There is no such thing as an overused tool." Burying Safe Mode (A frequently used tool) under a maze of menu options I feel was also not in the best interest of users everywhere.

Please, Please PLEASE, bring back F8.

cbleman, Mar 28, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 28, 2015
  6. Tully Win User
    All:

I agree with CBLEMAN!

Why is it programmers like to OBFUSCATE simple things?
    I started with MS DOS!
    How did we ever get through previous windows without this crap?

That Old Fart
    (86)

Tully, Mar 28, 2015
  7. cbleman Win User
    Hi Brink,
    It's good to hear from you!
    I feel things have been made way to complicated. Taking away F8 seriously hampers me in the field. I would like to simplify things again, and ask that F8 be brought back in Windows 10. Safe Mode is a critical tool for me, at home and at work. F8 is an uncomplicated and easy way to access that tool. What do you feel the odds are of getting it back in 10?
    There isn't anything I can do if it isn't brought back, and I'll just have to live with that. It would however be a disappointment to me, as well as being hampered by the removal of the functionality.

cbleman, Mar 28, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

If you both like, you could disable the new advanced startup options to use the old "Windows Boot Manager" again that has the F8 option. The tutorial below is for Windows 8, but is the same for Windows 10.

Startup Options - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

Brink, Mar 28, 2015
  9. cbleman Win User
    oooo... Great stuff! Thanks.
    I still feel F8 needs to be brought back, but this is something I can really use.
    Thanks again Brink. Very helpful information.

cbleman, Mar 28, 2015
  10. NickTh Win User
    Great stuff, as usual
    but
    isn't a bit early to release tutorials for W10 ? Only from the perspective that things could change until RTM, or you are certain that some things won't change ?

NickTh, Mar 28, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome guys.

Nar, it's never to early to be releasing tutorials for Windows 10. Testers need help and info about it as well.

The fun part is having to keep them all updated after each build. LOL

Brink, Mar 28, 2015
  12. One slight problem, thought I might try upgrading to windows 10 from 8.1. Downloaded via windows update.
    Now it completed the install, however after login i just get a black screen. I can move mouse, and Carl-alt-delete and go back to login.

i figure it is probably an easy fix if I could get into safe mode or even into recovery. However I cannot crash the computer fast enough.
    So I am stuck with a useless system at the moment. I think with a little work I can get it to crash.

Yes I was an idiot not to create boot media, but so did not expect this to happen. If it happened to me - then I am fairly sure it will happen to others. Easy access to recovery is the solution. The F8 was the fix in 95 , 98 ,ME (although nothing could fix that) ,Xp ect.

Please bring something back to make this easier for us.

CasioJones, May 16, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, May 16, 2015
  14. i have re-installed 8.1 & now downloading 10 so i can make a multi-boot with recovery. Then i think i will try again with a fresh version of 10.

CasioJones, May 16, 2015
  15. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Maybe this is a simply dumb query but I have too say or rather ask why has the F8 option been taken away and attaching pics to replies in this forum is now quite convoluted whereas in 7 it was a very simple operation.

It sort of looks to me like it is means making the Windows experience a lot harder to get ones head around and I did post somewhere else no email notification of replies to ones post. If I could see a reason it might make it a tad easier to understand and not drive me away from this current version. It is sad really because it does seem to me and I am just a pleb and not overly savvy and 10 like 8 (which I disliked intensely) is not for us ordinary folk.

Seems like Microsoft is repairing an unbroken wheel*Rolleyes

ICIT2LOL, Jul 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Boot Safe Mode

2. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking: Have a PC which won’t boot into windows 10. Was working until recently. It hangs on the windows loading screen.I can reboot into safe mode fine but I want to save files to usb as a backup. Many are one OneDrive so won’t allow me to do this. If I boot into safe mode with...
  3. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking: Have a PC which won’t boot into windows 10. Was working until recently. It hangs on the windows loading screen.I can reboot into safe mode fine but I want to save files to usb as a backup. Many are one OneDrive so won’t allow me to do this. If I boot into safe mode with...
  4. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can't Boot in Windows 10 Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Boot in Windows 10 Safe Mode: Greetings, I just made a terrible disaster where I curiously clicked a bundled registry files, which render my profile ‘broken’. Now I'd like to sset things right by executing Safe Mode from my Lenovo Yoga 6, however the screen keep getting stuck on Lenovo logo without any...
  6. Boot in Safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Boot in Safe mode: I got stuck in safe mode , when i tried to choose any option from troubleshoot it ask me for the password and i am entering the right password it is not accepting my password and its not booting my laptop with network mode , i have done couple of things thatis already on...
  7. Windows 10 boots only in safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 boots only in safe mode: I recently updated my laptop (HP ProBook 6470b) to windows 10. All went well , and I started to install the windows updates (just as everyone does) around a minute or so , the screen goes black. I can see the cursor , but nothing else. The windows also played some sounds. I...
  8. Windows 10 boot to safe mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 boot to safe mode: I recently had my disk drive replaced by Dell. The new drive supposedly came the initial Windows 10 image I had received when I purchased the system. I am no longer able to boot into safe mode by holding down the <shift> key when booting the system. The boot tab in msconfig...
  9. How to Boot Windows 10 into Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to Boot Windows 10 into Safe Mode: I am using Acer Laptop and have installed Windows 10. Looks like there are viruses in the system and startup has got slowed down. The only way I see is to boot it into Safe Mode, and toggle the services. I need help on 2 things : How shall I make windows faster? How...
  10. boot windows 10 safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    boot windows 10 safe mode: How can I boot into safe mode or recovery on Lenovo Yoga 11e? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-windows-10-safe-mode/b836c78a-30ee-4c7f-beb0-7219767881f7

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 system restore from safe mode