Windows 10: Black screen PC still on during gaming

Discus and support Black screen PC still on during gaming in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello, I recently experienced a black screen during playing a game (Divinity Original Sin 2) I currently have around 100 hours in the game but this is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by arisutan, Feb 23, 2018.

1. arisutan Win User

Black screen PC still on during gaming

Hello, I recently experienced a black screen during playing a game (Divinity Original Sin 2)
    I currently have around 100 hours in the game but this is my first time experiencing a crash
    My screens turned off and the machine became unresponsive but was still powered on. There was no sound coming out of the speakers
    My card's drivers are up to date and my PC is pretty damn clean/dust free. I tried running FurMark but didn't really understand how to generate any information
    Any help very appreciated not sure what to try next, google searching was relatively inconclusive

:)

arisutan, Feb 23, 2018
  2. kartikg Win User

Task Manager Black Screen

Hey guys recently built my PC only a few days ago with Windows 10 installed.

I have an issue where during gameplay of CS:GO, on steam, whenever I press; ctrl alt delete to access task manager it takes me to a black screen and I can't do anything. After waiting a minute or so I can alt tab out back into the game, so the game still
    runs fine and everything nothing crashes, just during gameplay when I try to access task manager via ctrl alt delete it black screens.

ive done every test possible to test for errors in hardware and everything is working fine, just this is annoying me, any help and solutions will be greatly appreciated.

kartikg, Feb 23, 2018
  3. Dan27_11 Win User
    CTRL ALT DEL Black Screen

Hi there, whenever my PC crashes (mainly during games) and I try to CTRL ALT DEL, I get to a black screen with just a cursor and am forced to shut down my PC. Any way I can fix this?

Duplicate thread : Ctrl + Alt + Del Black Screen requires HDMI unplug/replug.

When my PC crashes and I try to Ctrl + Alt + Del I get a black screen. Unplugging the HDMI and putting it back in brings back my screen but this isn't great as my desktop icons rearrange. Is the a proper fix for the black screen issue? Thanks.

Dan27_11, Feb 23, 2018
  4. zbook New Member

Please run the beta version of the log collector and post a zip into this thread:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip

Please update the specs in the "My Computer" section"
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Windows 10 Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Include PSU. cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, xbox, USB wireless network card, etc.)

zbook, Feb 26, 2018
  5. arisutan Win User
    Hello, I updated with some more information but most of it was already there. Not sure if case is correct I had to find it via google images lol

ALICE-DESKTOP (2018-02-27 22 25).zip

arisutan, Feb 27, 2018
  6. zbook New Member
    For all tests / steps please post images into the thread.
    If there are any problems posting images please use one drive or drop box share links.

1) Increase the free space on the Windows drive to 30 - 35 GB free space or more.

2) The computer has Windows 10 home build 14393: what are the plans to upgrade?

3) Open disk management > widen each of these columns (status and volume) so that the contents of all rows are in full view and nothing is cut off > post an image into the thread
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of Windows 10 Tutorials

4) Download and install Minitool partition wizard > post an image into the thread
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

5) If the computer has Ccleaner > click windows tab > scroll down to system and advanced > post an image into the thread

6) In the left lower corner search type: clean > open disk cleanup > scroll up and down > post images into the thread

7) In the left lower corner type: system > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings >
    a) under performance > click settings > on performance options > click the advanced tab > under virtual memory > click change > post an image of the virtual memory window into the thread
    b) under startup and recovery > click settings > post an image of the startup and recovery settings into the thread

8) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    9) sfc /scannow
    10) dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    11) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    12) chkdsk /scan
    13) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

14) Backup all files to another drive or to the cloud

15) Create a backup image using Macrium:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

16) create a brand new restore point

17) double check to make sure that there is greater than 30 - 35 GB free space on the Windows drive

18) Run HD Tune:
    HD Tune website
    Post images of the results for the tests on each of these tabs:
    a) Health (SMART)
    b) Benchmark
    c) Full error scan

19) Run memtest86+ version 5.01 for at least 8 passes. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    This may take hours so plan to run it overnight.
    a) Please make sure you use the Memtest86+ version 5.01 with the link below.
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    The testing is done not by time but by passes.
    The more passes the better.
    There are a significant number of false negatives if fewer than 8 passes are made.
    A false negative is a test pass when there is malfunctioning RAM.
    There is 8 GB of RAM on the computer.
    Memtest86+ version 5.01 testing takes approximately 1 - 2 hours /GB RAM
    Just 1 error is a fail and you can abort testing.
    Then test 1 RAM module at a time in the same DIMM each for 8 or more passes.
    b) When Memtest86+ has completed 8 or more passes use a camera or smart phone camera to take a picture and post an image into the thread.
    Memory problems. - Microsoft Community
    MemTest86+ - Test RAM Windows 10 Tutorials

20) Find a flash drive that you can format ( > or = 8 GB)
    21) Create a bootable windows 10 iso:
    Download Windows 10

22) Open device manager > click view > show hidden devices > expand all rows > look for any row that displays a yellow triangular icon with a black exclamation mark or any row displaying unknown device > post images into the thread

23) List all of the antivirus (AV) software products that have been in use over the past few years (always on and manual)
    24) List any drive encryption software that has been used except for Microsoft products

Drive: C:
    Free Space: 20.2 GB
    Total Space: 121.6 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: Corsair Neutron SSD SCSI Disk Device

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release.171231-1800)

Code: Event[1668]: Log Name: System Source: Display Date: 2018-02-23T23:33:48.499 Event ID: 4101 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Alice-Desktop Description: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.[/quote]

zbook, Feb 27, 2018
  7. arisutan Win User
    [/quote] 1. 34.8gb now free on C:/

2. My tablet (UGEE 2150) is currently not compatible with the latest update so I am waiting for driver updates from my manufacturer.

Black screen PC still on during gaming [​IMG]

6. already run and cleared it before viewing this thread

8. Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393](c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannowBeginning system scan. This process will take some time.Beginning verification phase of system scan.Verification 100% complete.Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repairedthem. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Forexample C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently notsupported in offline servicing scenarios.C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealthDeployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.14393.0Image Version: 10.0.14393.0[==========================100.0%==========================] No component store corruption detected.The operation completed successfully.C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthDeployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.14393.0Image Version: 10.0.14393.0[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.The operation completed successfully.C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /scanThe type of the file system is NTFS.Volume label is JONATHAN.Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 709120 file records processed.File verification completed. 39619 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 870696 index entries processed.Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...Security descriptor verification completed. 80789 data files processed.CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 35419280 USN bytes processed.Usn Journal verification completed.Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.No further action is required. 124469247 KB total disk space. 87559340 KB in 451219 files. 312668 KB in 80790 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 857539 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 35739700 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 31117311 total allocation units on disk. 8934925 allocation units available on disk.C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote] 14. Vitals backup underway via Trascend Elite external HDD

15. Underway

16. Done

17. Now at 34.1gb

19. will add later

20. Done

22. There were none

23. I'm not sure to be honest I think since my latest build I have just been using Windows Defender, have never really run into virus issues

24. I don't use any encryption software

arisutan, Mar 3, 2018
  8. zbook New Member

1) The sfc /scannow on drive C: had found operating system corruption and fixed it.
    The dism restorehealth was ok
    a) Please repeate the sfc /scannow to check to see whether the corruption is still fixed or whether there was recurrent corruption
    b) When the scannow has completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

2) The drives are in MBR format. Compare the pro and con of UEFI and decide whether you want the added benefits of UEFI (security, size, partitions,speed, and reliability).
    UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions | Microsoft Docs
    Some basics of MBR v/s GPT and BIOS v/s UEFI - Manjaro Linux
    Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

3) For Ccleaner uncheck:
    a) Memory Dumps
    b) Windows Log Files

4) In the left lower corner search type: clean > open disk cleanuup > scroll up and down > post images into the the tread (please post images whether or not the tool was used so that the settings can be modified if needed)

5) During the troubleshooting process please place the page file on the C: drive
    For the virtual memory windows:
    a) un-check automatically manage paging file size for all drives
    b) move the dot from no paging file to system managed size
    c) make sure that the page file is on C:
    d) re-check automatically manage paging file size for all drives
    e) reboot
    f) re-open the virtual memory window to confirm that the page file is on C: and that the other settings have be maintained with the reboot.
    g) post a new image of the virtual memory windows into the thread

6) For startup and recovery system failure:
    a) Un-check automatically restart
    b) Change write debugging information to automatic memory dump
    c) reboot
    d) check to make sure that the startup and recovery settins have been maintained with the reboot
    e) post a new image of the startup and recovery window into the thread

7) The Corsair Neutron SSD 128 GB failed the Raw Read Error Rate
    a) Run both HD Sentinel and CrystalDisk:
    Run HD Sentinel: (free or trial edition)
    Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring
    Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring
    b) Post images of each of these tabs into the thread:
    Overview tab
    Temperature
    SMART
    Disk performance
    c) CrystalDisk: CrystalDiskInfo Crystal Dew World
    d) If HD Sentinel or Crystal disk display problems with the drive similar to HD Tune > make sure that there is an active imaging program in use to backup the drive > find a replacement drive
    e) This tool can be used to find available replacement drive sizes: Crucial System Scanner | Crucial.com

8) For Disk 2 ST20000DM001 perform the following tests:
    a) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    b) chkdsk /x /f /r
    This may take many hours so plan to run overnight

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /x /f /r
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type: Y
    reboot

c) Use the information in this link to find the chkdsk report in the event viewer. Copy and paste > notepad > save to desktop > post into the thread.
    d) Run HD Tune:
    HD Tune website
    e) post images into the thread for results on each of these tabs:
    f) Health (SMART)
    g) Benchmark
    h) Full error scan

9) Open a Microsoft account so that either now or in the future you can use if needed the activation troubleshooter:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ardware-change

9) Update your progress:
    a) backing up all files
    b) making a backup image
    c) Memtest86+ version 5.01 testing for 8 or more passes

10) After steps 3,4,5,and 6 have been completed:
    a) Download and install: Whocrashed
    Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer
    b) In the left upper corner, above analyze, click on tools > crash dump test > type: ACCEPT
    c) Click analyze > view results > the report may display deaddead > post the report into the thread
    d) Run the beta version of the log collector and post a zip into the thread:

11) For any BSOD run the beta version of the log collector and post a new zip into the thread:

12) Make sure that there is no over clocking while troubleshooting.

Sometimes there are problems in the bios that produce bsod.
    The BIOS: Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F5, 26/06/2014 SMBIOS Version 2.7
    13) Please check to see if this is the most up to date version.

14) Open the website for the computer or motherboard manufacturer to view the drivers and post a URL or hyperlink into the thread.

15) To ensure that there are no improper bios settings please reset the bios.
    16) Sometimes there can be failure to boot after resetting the bios.
    17) Make sure that computer files to another drive or to the cloud.
    18) Make a backup image using Macrium:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

19) And please create a brand new restore point.

How to Clear Your Computers CMOS to Reset BIOS Settings:
    How to Clear Your Computers CMOS to Reset BIOS Settings
    3 Ways to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow:
    3 Ways to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow

20) Choose one of the temperature monitoring software applications: Speecy, HW monitor, Speed fan:
    Speccy - Free Download - Piriform: Speccy - System Information - Free
    Speccy - System Information - Free Download
    HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID: HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID
    HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID
    SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer: SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
    SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Black screen PC still on during gaming - Similar Threads - Black screen still

2. Pc screen goes black during the wipe.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc screen goes black during the wipe.: I have been trying to wipe my pc so I can sell it. It won't wipe and when it should start wiping it just makes the screen go black. I have had it wiping for more then a day. When I restart it, it says that the pc reset failed....
  3. Pc screen goes black during the wipe.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc screen goes black during the wipe.: I have been trying to wipe my pc so I can sell it. It won't wipe and when it should start wiping it just makes the screen go black. I have had it wiping for more then a day. When I restart it, it says that the pc reset failed....
  4. Pc screen goes black during the wipe.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Pc games black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc games black screen: I load my games like warzone then when I load on it goes to a black screen and then my keyboard turns off my pc doesn't my mouse doesn't https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-games-black-screen/974ab46d-0ea1-4b4f-bfed-57e7678d3722
  6. Pc games black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc games black screen: I load my games like warzone then when I load on it goes to a black screen and then my keyboard turns off my pc doesn't my mouse doesn't https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-games-black-screen/974ab46d-0ea1-4b4f-bfed-57e7678d3722
  7. Random Black Screen Crash during gaming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random Black Screen Crash during gaming: Hi, Occasionally and seemingly at random my PC crashes whilst gaming. What happens is my screen goes black, the GPU fans spin up like crazy very noisy and I seemingly can't do anything to get out of it except hold the power button to hard turn off the PC. Usually I can still...
  8. BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and black screening during certain games.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and black screening during certain games.: I asked about this previously but forgot to reply as i was busy. sorry. I'm making a new one because the other one is almost 2 months old. old thread:...
  9. Random black screen during certain games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random black screen during certain games: Hello, It seems that in some games my computer crushes at random. So far I've experienced it in PlanetSide 2 and Guildwars 2. I'm not the best at analyzing windows events and I couldn't seem to find related information to my crashes... As in crash I mean that the screens...
  10. Black screen during game play and videos.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Black screen during game play and videos.: I recently installed my new GTX 1050 Ti and updated it with all the latest drivers from the Nvidia website but for some reason my monitor keeps black screening whenever I start up a game or go to watch a video on Youtube. It's not too bad with the videos as it happens for...