Windows 10: Boot to CD Drive

Discus and support Boot to CD Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since I did clean install of Win 10 I find it will not allow me to boot to internal cd drive or USB drive. I know this is an attempt to secure the OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mowfixer, Sep 17, 2015.

1. mowfixer Win User

Boot to CD Drive

Since I did clean install of Win 10 I find it will not allow me to boot to internal cd drive or USB drive. I know this is an attempt to secure the OS or lock you out of competing OS like linux or both but I can find no way around this. My bios has not been updated to the secure boot version on purpose but the OS still intercepts any attemp to boot to any device other than drive with OS on it.

My boot sequence is CD first but it is ignored on boot. Also if I go to boot device selection and select CD drive it still boots to win 10. I have tried win 10 setup but there is no option that i have found that allows me to do what I want with my own machine. I am a developer and routinely boot to cd and this behavior is unacceptable. I would like to use win 10 but have gone back to Win 7 until I can find out how to defeat this.

What is the secret?

:)

mowfixer, Sep 17, 2015

2. Windows 10 won't connect to the internet

This is not in the Bios. I couldn't find the Bios. This is under F12 which has titles of Main, Advanced, Boot, Security, and Exit. Under Boot it says "Set Boot Priority"

1st Boot - [Hard Disk: ST31000.....]

2nd Boot - [USB Hard Disk]

3rd Boot - [CD/DVD: HL-DT-ST D....]

4th Boot - [USB CD/DVD]

5th Boot - [USB Floppy}

6th Boot - [Network]

Hard Disk Drives

CD/DVD ROM Drives

You said to move the CD/DVD drive to 1st boot? Which one and how do I move them?

longtimealaskan, Sep 17, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Sep 17, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Boot to CD Drive

Assuming the CD/DVD or USB Flash Drive is bootable you are using ? Otherwise it will not occur.Bad Disc or USB flash drive another possibility why

jds63, Sep 17, 2015
  5. Bazz Win User
    The secret is my friend do not ever allow fast start up in your bios or the windows 10 OS.

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows 10 does not change the bios in any way whatsoever nor does it in any way intercept what the bios uses to boot the computer from. To boot from the CD or USB, I'll bet you have to change the bios boot method to legacy or CSM.

NavyLCDR, Sep 17, 2015
  7. rmonroe36 Win User
    See if this clip helps:

Rich

rmonroe36, Sep 17, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Boot to CD Drive

jds63, Sep 17, 2015
  9. Bazz Win User
    Well from my experience with windows 10 on laptops it does indeed change the way you can enter the bios, so if you have fast boot enabled you can be locked out if you don't know what you are doing.

This is a fact 8.1 is no better certain manufacturers have made this the problem that it is.

It is complete madness not to want to see a 2 second screen to get you into your bios.

10. jds63 Win User
    Saying this might have something to do with secure boot, if thread starter has it enabled, what i thought seeing mentions of CSM and Legacy.Thought i read might cause issue, secure boot.

jds63, Sep 17, 2015
  11. Bazz Win User
    Well kidda I think you are talking about a laptop and not a Desktop, your specks say Desctop

12. jds63 Win User
    Who is ??

jds63, Sep 17, 2015
  13. Bazz Win User

Boot to CD Drive

Computer Type PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number Lenovo
    OS Windows 10

Is that pretty much what you wanted jds

14. jds63 Win User
    I did ? I was quoting Navy.

jds63, Sep 17, 2015
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    It really doesn't matter, desktop or laptop. What we are talking about is a delay allowed by the bios for the user to press a key to either enter bios setup or choose the boot device. That is a function 100% of the bios and cannot be changed by Windows for two reasons:

1. Whatever delay function setting the bios uses to either insert a delay, not insert a delay, or determine the length of the delay is stored in EPROM. The address where the value is stored in EPROM and what that value represents can be anywhere and anything in EPROM. For Windows to change that it would have to know what address the setting is stored at and what the value represents and that is simply impossible. Write the wrong value to the wrong address and the entire bios can become corrupted, more often than not requiring EPROM chip replacement.

2. The delay that bios inserts to allow a key to be pressed for setup or boot device choice occurs before any boot files are loaded from any source. Thus that delay cannot be affected by Windows.

Now - there can be a delay built into the boot loader to allow the boot loader to hand off booting to a different source and that is a function of the operating system and Windows can certainly interfere with that. But it is impossible for the operating system to interfere with bios created delays.

NavyLCDR, Sep 17, 2015
Thema:

Boot to CD Drive

1. Boot to CD Drive - Similar Threads - Boot Drive

2. BSOD, Unrecognized M.2 Boot drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD, Unrecognized M.2 Boot drive.: I, was playing a video game when suddenly my PC crashed, after a few crashes i saw that the BSOD would say WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR. After a few crashes later, i was SLUMPED, i had no idea what was going on, so i spent $130 for a computer store to look at it, said he reverted...
  3. BSOD, Unrecognized M.2 Boot drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD, Unrecognized M.2 Boot drive.: I, was playing a video game when suddenly my PC crashed, after a few crashes i saw that the BSOD would say WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR. After a few crashes later, i was SLUMPED, i had no idea what was going on, so i spent $130 for a computer store to look at it, said he reverted...
  4. BSOD, Unrecognized M.2 Boot drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Laptop at every boot asks for Bitlocker Recovery Key for my 'D' drive, Any Solution??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop at every boot asks for Bitlocker Recovery Key for my 'D' drive, Any Solution??: I have Windows 11 HomeWindows 11 Home doesn't come with bitlocker settings and option similar to Pro and Student versions,I tried stopping the Bitlocker Encryption Service from Services.msc yet it keeps asking....
  6. Laptop at every boot asks for Bitlocker Recovery Key for my 'D' drive, Any Solution??

Laptop at every boot asks for Bitlocker Recovery Key for my 'D' drive, Any Solution??: I have Windows 11 HomeWindows 11 Home doesn't come with bitlocker settings and option similar to Pro and Student versions,I tried stopping the Bitlocker Encryption Service from Services.msc yet it keeps asking....
  7. How can I change the identified boot drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change the identified boot drive?: I have installed a SSD in a HP Pavilion running Windows 10 Pre. the installation is finished, the SSD has been cloned and recognized. how can I make this my boot disk and use the old drive for storage?...
  8. How can I change the identified boot drive?

How can I change the identified boot drive?: I have installed a SSD in a HP Pavilion running Windows 10 Pre. the installation is finished, the SSD has been cloned and recognized. how can I make this my boot disk and use the old drive for storage?...
  9. How can I change the identified boot drive?

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Cloned Windows 10 Boot drive ahead of a PC Upgrade and windows 11 install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned Windows 10 Boot drive ahead of a PC Upgrade and windows 11 install: Ahead of upgrading my desktop system, I cloned my 8'ish year old 256GB M.2 boot drive to a 2T M.2. That worked great, a build the new PC, reauthorized windows and it's up and working. My eventual goal is to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro I already own the media.But disk 3 the boot...