Windows 10: Booting from bootable media - error 'This device is not ready'

Discus and support Booting from bootable media - error 'This device is not ready' in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Im having trouble with my laptop. I was tryin to factory reset my laptop to sell it but while it was rebooting the battery fell out. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KimneishaDavis, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Booting from bootable media - error 'This device is not ready'

Hello,

Im having trouble with my laptop. I was tryin to factory reset my laptop to sell it but while it was rebooting the battery fell out. I've been trying to reinstall windows 10 back on to the laptop via usb but I keep getting a message saying "this device is not ready". It wont let me do anything What can I do to fix this problem and put the computer back to factory default?

***Original Title: reinstall***

:)

KimneishaDavis, Jun 22, 2019
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Jun 22, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

4. Booting from bootable media - error 'This device is not ready'

no bootable device insert boot disk windows 10

Hi,

As you are facing issues with booting the device to desktop, we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • What exactly were you trying to perform on the device prior to this issue?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Are you ae to boot the device to desktop (Confirm to us)?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ missing boot files.

As a workaround I suggest you to unplug all the external devices connected to your computer, hard reboot the device and check with the status of this issue. Please be informed that there is a power supply to your device.

If the issue still persists, try the below troubleshooting steps as the boot files of current operating system might got corrupted.

I suggest you to download Windows 10 ISO file, create an installation media from other working computer to perform
    Startup repair of the computer that you are unable to boot.

Using ISO file to perform Startup
    repair will allow the device to boot the system to Windows Recovery Environment and tries to repair the device.

Step 1:
    I suggest you to try Startup repairing the Windows and check if it helps.

Download the Windows 10 ISO and create a Media Creation tool and then perform
    Startup Repair.

Refer to the following link: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

(Refer to the section "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool” in the above article for creating the tool).

Step 2: After creating the tool perform an Startup Repair.

I would like to inform that, if your Windows 10 is not able to boot or startup,
    Startup Repair will come into action and try to diagnose and fix the issue. It will scan system files, registry settings, configuration settings and more and try to fix the problem on its own, automatically.

Perform the Startup
    repair:

• When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be
      F12.
    • The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
    • Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the
      Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to
      CD\DVD ROM.
    • After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
    • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner
    • Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click
      Startup repair.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 22, 2019
Thema:

Booting from bootable media - error 'This device is not ready'

1. Booting from bootable media - error 'This device is not ready' - Similar Threads - Booting bootable media

2. WinRM error "The device is not ready"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WinRM error "The device is not ready": Hi,I'm trying to connect to a windows node windows server 2022 via WINRM using ansible and I'm getting "The device not ready error". I have researched a lot about this and did not find much promising information about this. Are there any insights that I can get to resolve...
  3. WinRM error "The device is not ready"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WinRM error "The device is not ready": Hi,I'm trying to connect to a windows node windows server 2022 via WINRM using ansible and I'm getting "The device not ready error". I have researched a lot about this and did not find much promising information about this. Are there any insights that I can get to resolve...
  4. following boot, black screen enter bootable device and hit any key when ready??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    following boot, black screen enter bootable device and hit any key when ready??: Pulling hairs! after cloning C: that the swapped new ssd does not boot, "ok", but after changing it back to the up to that time flawless working 20h2 windows installation, getting that SAME error, really shocked me?!, WEIRD how can this be?!Why has the cloning of C:...
  5. no bootable devices...pc will not boot.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    no bootable devices...pc will not boot.: got caught in phishing scam....purporting to allow we to update my Microsoft account. My pc will not boot...no bootable devices.....help . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/no-bootable-devicespc-will-not-boot/8983a232-b8dd-4ed6-bc24-be8a7ec4f9b2
  6. No bootable device Error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No bootable device Error: Hi There I need help with a error i have after trying to install windows 10 on a laptop that had windows 7 Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v15.0.11 PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM. No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any...
  7. "The device is not ready" Error Help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "The device is not ready" Error Help!: Hello I'm running windows 10 and I've been trying to replace a corrupted .dll file by copying it from my laptop and sharing it to one of my other accounts through Google Drive on my pc. I downloaded the .dll file. Went to administrator command prompt and gained full access to...
  8. Bootable Media

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bootable Media: Hello, I am attempting to create bootable media from a USB Thumbdrive, and using the windows 7 USB/DVD tool in order to boot from the device., when its at 100%, it says files copied successfully, but unable to run bootsect, to make the drive bootable. how would I go about...
  9. No bootable device error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No bootable device error: My acer laptop shows error No bootable Device. Engineer says SSD is crashed and erased.All data is lost. How can i recover the data from ssd ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-bootable-device-error/32d313ed-3555-4233-8c42-f21e521b5954
  10. device not ready error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    device not ready error: I am trying to install fonts (from dafont) that I have on my computer in my downloads folder. I am getting an error "device is not ready" and the fonts will not install. I have Windows 10. I was able to do this before so why can I not do it now?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. boot from USB device not ready

2. power iso bootable usb device not ready