Windows 10: Booting Windows from Thumb Drive

Discus and support Booting Windows from Thumb Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm still running Vista. I recently purchased a thumb drive with Windows 10 from Microsoft (only because they don't sell them on disc anymore, which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nomoredroids, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Booting Windows from Thumb Drive

I'm still running Vista. I recently purchased a thumb drive with Windows 10 from Microsoft (only because they don't sell them on disc anymore, which is easy and I've done a clean install of Vista half a dozen times from CD-Rom).

Anyway, I plug in the thumb drive, I reboot, go to BIOS, set to boot from USB-HDD. Exit that, and a screen comes up with the device (my USB with Windows 10) at the top and Verifying DMI Pool way down at the bottom. But then nothing. It just hangs there. As far as I can tell, it will hang there forever (but at the very least an hour). I can't find a solution, and I've been at this for hours. Thank you in advance for any help, or even pointing me in the right direction.

:)

nomoredroids, Jan 31, 2016

2. boot options wont recognize my usb

I have downloaded windows 10 onto a thumb drive to try to recover a broken system by reinstalling, i plug the thumb drive into a usb port and go to the boot menu to try to find it and boot from it, it does not show up at all on the boot menu. i have tried
    unplugging the usb drive and restarting the computer and going back to the boot menu, where all the options are the same as when i had the thumb drive plugged in, showing me that it was not even recognized as being there, please help me.

OdysseusLeyzorek, Jan 31, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jan 31, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

Booting Windows from Thumb Drive

My Vista machine never used to install Windows from USB stick either, so I stuck to burning an ISO to DVD. I assume you want to clean install this time too. If you don't need to access the bit that allows you to add/remove partitions and format the drive before installing Windows, you could try running setup.exe on the thumbdrive from the Vista desktop and follow the on-screen instructions, which should give the option to keep nothing and install Windows.

Alternatively, you can burn a Windows 10 ISO to DVD using the Windows Media Creation Tool (see Option Two at the link below) and then boot from DVD to install Windows 10. Just use the licence key that came with the Windows 10 thumbdrive you bought to activate it.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html

Then:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

You'll may need to install Windows 8.1 graphics card drivers if there aren't any available for Windows 10 and they don't automatically install through Windows Update.

ARC1020, Jan 31, 2016
  5. I unfortunately do want partitions. And anyway, running setup doesn't work.

I also don't have a DVD burner, so nix idea 2, as well. Ideally I'd figure out why this stupid thumb drive doesn't work because it seems like it should.

The clean install tutorial doesn't seem particularly helpful, or it could be that I'm not understanding what you want me to see; I'm at Step 3 and cannot get Windows to boot from USB. Currently I'm selecting USB-HDD in BIOS, which seems to be reading my thumbdrive, but then it fails at "Verifying DMI Pool."

6. sml156 Win User
    You did not specify what type of computer you are running does it meet the minimum requirements

sml156, Jan 31, 2016
  7. Yeah, I exceed all the specs by a wide margin. Except for:
    • Download and run a handy utility called CPU-Z. Look under Instructions and if you see SSE2, EM64T (indicates the processor has support for PAE) and either VT-d or VT-x
    On that, not so much. I'm seeing SSE2, but not the other two things. I'm not sure what this means (yet), but thanks for making me look at the obvious. And thanks for giving me the workarounds, ARC. Any other info?

8. WHS
    whs Win User

9. tracit99 Win User
    Strange that you Windows Thumb drive will not boot. There is a procedure that will allow you to create an ISO on your hard drive from a bootable USB drive. From there you would mount the ISO file and run setup from there.

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/t...o/#entry163514

tracit99, Jan 31, 2016
  10. sml156 Win User
    sml156, Jan 31, 2016
  11. I have Vista, and my computer's motherboard is old enough that Vista was the current version of Windows when I got it. As far as I can tell, Secure Boot isn't even an option as that requires UEFI, right? I'm still stuck using BIOS, and, in fact, was unaware of UEFI at all. From my limited knowledge and the reading material I've been given on this forum (thank you, all), it appears that I'm going to need to update the motherboard and probably the processor in order to run Windows 10. Can anyone confirm? Or give me other options if I'm not quite understanding?

12. Berton Win User
    It's my understanding that UEFI was introduced with Win8/8.1 and some features are for 64-bit only. I've done a number of Upgrades to Win10 but always from Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1, both 32-bit and 64-bit. I have managed Upgrades on Vista machines but only by going to Win7 w/SP 1 first, haven't needed to do a clean install on a Vista or WinXP drive or a bare drive.

Berton, Jan 31, 2016
  13. cereberus Win User

UEFI was around at time of VISTA, but the pcs were not generally suitable or capable in those days.

Even if pcs said they were eufi capable, early implementations were rather flakey, and it was often better to stick to a legacy bios install.

I would download the iso (probably best to choose 32 bit) from here

Tech Bench

and then create a new usb installation stick using rufus making sure to select an mbr based installation.

Then make sure bios is set to legacy bios if pc has eufi capability.

Then boot from stick, and install it.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Booting Windows from Thumb Drive - Similar Threads - Booting Thumb Drive

2. Install windows 10 from a thumb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install windows 10 from a thumb drive: How do you install Windows 10 from a thumb drive onto a desk top that has vista? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-windows-10-from-a-thumb-drive/aa17c0a9-43df-4a3c-ae67-b46fdec07e45
  3. How do I make a computer boot from a USB thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I make a computer boot from a USB thumb drive?: I go into the BIOS and it shows: UEFI boot sources Hard drive Windows boot manager USB hard drive USB floppy/CD Legacy boot sources USB floppy/CD hard drive USB hard drive ADATA SU650 Network controller AMT Windows 10 is on the...
  4. Booting secure boot PC from thumb drive vs CD

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting secure boot PC from thumb drive vs CD: Secure boot is enabled on my laptop. My Aomie boot CD will boot without turning secure boot off. However, if I burn the Aomie ISO to a USB thumb drive using Rufus, it will only work with SB turned off. Just wondering why the difference. Thanks for your help. 141875
  5. Thumb Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Thumb Drives: How do I use a thumb drive to transfer data from Windows 7 to Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumb-drives/8b697fba-9f37-417b-a867-1443e9150438
  6. Install Windows 10 from thumb drive

Install Windows 10 from thumb drive: I have a thumb drive with Windows 10 from 5/31/2018. How do I Install Windows 10 from the thumb drive to a new SSHD in my Dell Desktop: Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G630 @ 2.70GHz 210 GHz Installed RAM 4.00 GB System type 64-bit operating system,...
  7. Rip from CD to a thumb drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rip from CD to a thumb drive: I can rip the CD, but it won't play in my car. I need to turn off the copy protection feature on the Windows media player so it will play anywhere. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rip-from-cd-to-a-thumb-drive/3a4aea87-5429-42b4-88eb-a0235107dc72
  8. Where To Purchase Windows Defender Offline Thumb Boot Drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Where To Purchase Windows Defender Offline Thumb Boot Drive: I'm convinced my computer is running some kind of behind the scenes malware. Signs are that there are popups that appear and go away so fast that they can't be identified; ads popping up in search results leading to google leads services, which come to pages that don't load;...
  9. How can I make boot manager on thumb drive boot from HD?

How can I make boot manager on thumb drive boot from HD?: I have a thumb drive on which I have a whole bunch of Windows 10 installation images. I can boot a standard, unmodified Windows 10 DVD, a basic unattended setup, a fully sysprepped unattended installation, etc. All of these options are presented to me from the Windows Boot...
  10. thumb drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    thumb drives: Upgraded to windows 10, plugged in a thumb drive but have no idea how to open the drive 27165