Windows 10: BSOD after standby

Discus and support BSOD after standby in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I'm having problems with my DELL M4500 which presents me with a nice BSOD every time it comes back from standby. This is a Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Whyfly, May 14, 2016.

1. Whyfly Win User

BSOD after standby

Hi everyone,

I'm having problems with my DELL M4500 which presents me with a nice BSOD every time it comes back from standby. This is a Windows 10 64bit system. The BSOD typicall says CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (although I've already seen the odd MEMORY_MANAGEMENT as well), and to my dismay, it doesn't leave a proper dump: Coming from standby, the screen typically freezes for 30+ seconds (in most cases on the splash screen, although sometimes I just get a black screen and sometimes I actually get to see my desktop before the crash). The BSOD claims it's gathering information, but it actually doesn't get beyond 0% and then reboots quickly.

Be that as it may - I'm pretty sure my NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M is to blame, or rather its drivers. Although there's one thing I don't understand: I can't actually test if the same problem occurs because, with the NVIDIA driver uninstalled, I don't even *have* a standby mode - only hibernation. (No idea what the graphics driver has to do with standby mode - is this normal?)

I've followed the following instructions here:
    BSOD, Nvidia driver crashes after waking from sleep - Windows 10 Forums

...but with no luck, I really only reinstalled the latest graphics driver now with none of the other deadweight, but the problem still occurs.

So what's the solution - simply disable standby mode?

If so, I can live without standby, no problem. What I can't live with is the crashes, because they've already cost me quite some data. So if I do avoid standby, I want to make sure that the problem is squashed and doesn't start haunting me via some other "feature". Thanks!

:)

Whyfly, May 14, 2016
  2. RainerHH Win User

Critical Process Died after Standby

after waking up from standby always a BSOD Critical Process Died occurred,

after upgrading to 1709.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

RainerHH, May 14, 2016
  3. BlueScreen

I installed the driver you have suggested and now it is working properly, without any BSOD after standby mode/sleep mode!

Thanks so much for your help!

Adriano Meirinho, May 14, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

BSOD after standby

Please read How to upload files so we may be able to figure out why no dump is being created.

5. Whyfly Win User
    My apologies - I did look into the posting instructions before starting my thread, but somehow assumed that the log collector would only collect dump files. I've now updated my initial post with the info requested.

Whyfly, May 15, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    It seems the crashes aren't even logged, lets try a few things.

Please make sure your pc is configured for small dump files How to configure minidump | Windows 10 tutorial.
    Please search "services.msc" (without quotes) by pressing Windows key + r and press enter, search for the Windows Error Reporting Service and make sure it is set to manual.
    Please make sure that the pagefile is handled by the system to ensure it is large enough *Arrow Virtual Memory Paging File - Change

If all that is done and set properly lets see if we can try to force a crash, but not manually *Wink

BSOD after standby [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    DRIVER VERIFIER

Warning Please make a backup of your important files and get your rescue media or create one.
    Please create a restore point.
    Please follow this tutorial to run driver verifier.

Some windows drivers are blamed in a few crashes, but that usually means that a 3rd party driver is actually the cause.
    Driver verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation.

Driver verifier should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or when you have a bluescreen, whatever comes first.

If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset in safe mode driver verifier, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

Note Your system will act very sluggishly while driver verifier is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.

7. Whyfly Win User
    Meanwhile...

I actually have the same problem on my other laptop, an E4200, which I guess points to something that both machines have in common. What they do have in common is that I equipped both of them with Samsung EVO 850 SSD drives, so that may already be my culprit (at least I've read in various places that SSDs don't like sleep mode - so possibly, I'll just have to disable sleep mode altogether and get on with it).

Btw. I've tried driver verifier on the E4200, but it was fairly unimpressed and there were no issues within 48 hours.

Whyfly, May 25, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

BSOD after standby

If you would like help for your other laptop, please create a new thread for it so we don't get confused *Smile

Partly good to hear, disable driver verifier by resetting the settings and see how it goes *Smile

9. Whyfly Win User
    I am confused - I thought driver verifier was a diagnostic tool and not a repair tool?

I'm afraid I still couldn't use driver verifier on the M4500 because of the warning to back everything up before running it (still need to make enough room so I can run my backups again). Will do, but might still take a bit.

(As for the E4200 the symptoms are identical, and running drive verifier didn't change anything.)

Whyfly, May 25, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    Driver verifier is a diagnostic tool, that it couldn't find drivers means no driver has violated the settings that driver verifier checked for *Smile

11. axe0 New Member
    In most cases the causes are different which is another reason to start another thread for a different system.

12. Whyfly Win User
    Ok, but the what is the diagnosis if the diagnotic tool finds nothing while the symptoms remain? *Wink

Whyfly, May 25, 2016
  13. axe0 New Member

BSOD after standby

Driver verifier has been used, but didn't flag a driver, in most cases this relates to hardware related problems.

I personally would disagree with those who say that, my experience with many SSDs (I only have 2 SSDs which are the same, but I've seen many) is that there is no problem with sleep mode. You could of course try it for yourself as it could be different for you.

14. Whyfly Win User
    Having the problem on a third system as well - an eeePC 901. Virtually the only thing all three systems have in common hardware-wise is the Samsung EVO 850.

As for the drivers, in fact two of the three system are really very slim with not that many third-party drivers to bark up at in the first place. In my view, if I disable these drivers to load on startup, but the problem remains (as I have already done), and if I run drive verifier with no results (as I have already done), the verdict should be in, no?

Whyfly, May 25, 2016
  15. Whyfly Win User
    Final update for anyone having similar issues: Of course, if you have three different computers with the same issue, your best bet is to figure out what the three machines have in common (don't let anyone talk you into treating the problems as isolated and coincidential).

Barking at the EVO 850 wasn't a bad idea, but it took me way longer to figure out that the issue was neither with the EVO itself or with the software that goes with it, but with Samsung's "Rapid Mode" which seems to be error-ridden (Google for that and you will see what I mean). Disabling it for all my drives did the trick for me.

Whyfly, Jul 14, 2017
Thema:

BSOD after standby

1. BSOD after standby - Similar Threads - BSOD standby

2. im Getting BSOD 0x00000139 KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    im Getting BSOD 0x00000139 KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE: Im getting BSOD for this pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-getting-bsod-0x00000139/8f2e35d5-fff5-47ad-b135-44f483bec769
  3. im Getting BSOD 0x00000139 KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    im Getting BSOD 0x00000139 KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE: Im getting BSOD for this pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-getting-bsod-0x00000139/8f2e35d5-fff5-47ad-b135-44f483bec769
  4. BSOD after Wakeup from Standby (DRIVER_POWERSTATE_FAILURE)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after Wakeup from Standby (DRIVER_POWERSTATE_FAILURE): Hello all, I have a Problem regarding my Lenovo T540p. If i put in on Standby and Wake it up , i get a Bluescreen immediately. The Error Code is DRIVER_POWERSTATE_FAILURE. Bluescreenviewer tells me, that the Graphics Drivers are causing the Crash. (nvlddmkm.sys and...
  5. Lenovo C940 BSODs While in Modern Standby

Lenovo C940 BSODs While in Modern Standby: As per the title: When in Modern Standby mode for extended periods, the computer is crashing. I know this from SleepStudy reports I generated. See image below. [img] This has happened 3 times in the last 4 days (only two of the instances are noted in the image above). The...
  6. BSODs most often when booting, coming from standby or screensaver

BSODs most often when booting, coming from standby or screensaver: Hey all. This post is 6 months too late but after much fiddling, mindless research telling me to run memory tests, 5 OS reinstalls and replacing several hardware items I am coming at my wits end. I have no idea what to do here. I will often get clusters of BSODs, followed by...
  7. BSOD during connected standby on Surface Book 2: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

BSOD during connected standby on Surface Book 2: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE: Hi, I'm getting BSOD on my Surface Book 2 - Core i7 16GB 1TB several times a days when it gets in to connected standby. Here's the output from WinDBG: 4: kd> !analyze -v ******************************************************************************* *...
  8. BSOD after monitor comes back from standby, 0x00000050

BSOD after monitor comes back from standby, 0x00000050: Since fall creator update I have some strange, reproducable behaviour. I am using a normal TV (Sony KD49-X8505) as a monitor, mainly for gaming. After 4 hours, this TV switches into standby. This behaviour has not been any problem before, I could just switch it on again and...
  9. Frequently occuring BSOD in Windows 10 when Laptop is in standby

Frequently occuring BSOD in Windows 10 when Laptop is in standby: Hello, I am little frustrated as my laptop crashes frequently when not in work. It runs well when I am doing any task, I mean when mouse and keyboards are in use. But if I keep my laptop open and there is no activity, immediately after sometime, it crashes and shows BSOD....
  10. Regular BSOD following waking computer from Standby

Regular BSOD following waking computer from Standby: Hi, I've been getting consistent BSOD's, seemingly at random, with the only pattern being that they seem to mostly come after waking the computer from Standby mode. The BSOD's then can happen two or three times following a restart for some reason. I've attached the .zip file....