Windows 10: BSOD bad_pool_caller, possibly related to wi-fi adapter

Discus and support BSOD bad_pool_caller, possibly related to wi-fi adapter in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I've had some issues with a BSOD for over a year now, first when I was running Windows 8 and now still with Windows 10. It first appeared after I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by pdmchubby, Sep 2, 2015.

1. pdmchubby Win User

BSOD bad_pool_caller, possibly related to wi-fi adapter

Hi, I've had some issues with a BSOD for over a year now, first when I was running Windows 8 and now still with Windows 10. It first appeared after I got a USB wi-fi adapter which I replaced with an adapter that connected to the motherboard, but the BSODs have not stopped. I inquired about it a few months ago on several other forums. It was apparently related to some driver that the USB adapter installed (the name of which I can no longer remember), but I was unable to uninstall it or delete it without my wi-fi becoming unusable. I'm also unable to use a wired connection in my apartment, though I'm not sure that would even be possible if I deleted the driver. The error code I get is "bad_pool_caller", but I believe I used to get "irql_not_less_or_equal" as well.

For some background, the BSOD usually appears when I'm doing something intensive over the internet like watching video on YouTube or Twitch, streaming audio, etc.

Here's my debug folder:

Attachment 35395

:)

pdmchubby, Sep 2, 2015
  2. Saltgrass Win User

Wifi and lots of other issues

If it is a Dell, how old is it and what model?

I believe some Wi-Fi adapters are not compatible with Win 10. And it seems some of these updates are moving more devices all the time.

If it is a laptop, you have the option to replace the Wi-Fi adapter which would possibly upgrade the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, possibly.

Saltgrass, Sep 2, 2015
  3. Recurring BSOD crashes after using specific software (Axure RP Pro)

The causes of the BSOD's are related to BAD_POOL_CALLER and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION related to the drivers; ntoskrnl.exe+16c560 and win32kbase.sys

StefanoToledo, Sep 2, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi pdmchubby,

Welcome to the 10forums.

I have analysed the most recent dump files and they all seem to be caused by the NETIO.sys (Network In/Output) driver.
    Because this is a system file, there are 2 options for now to go through.

Please do the following:

• Open an admin command prompt
    • Copy/paste "sfc/scannow" (without quotes) and press enter
    • When it finished reboot your system
    • Open again an admin command prompt
    • Enter sfc/scannow again

If sfc/scannow doesn't say "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violation", please upload the cbs.log file located at {windows partition}\Windows\Logs\CBS\, if the file is too large try a 3rd party uploader like dropbox, onedrive, google drive, mediafire etc.
    System File Check(SFC a.k.a. Windows Resource Protection) needs to have your system rebooted in order for sfc to try to fix the problems that it finds.

BSOD bad_pool_caller, possibly related to wi-fi adapter [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    DRIVER VERIFIER

Warning Please make a backup of your important files and get your rescue media or create one.
    Please create a restore point.
    Please read and run driver verifier.

A windows driver is blamed in a few crashes, but that usually means that a 3rd party driver is actually the cause.
    Driver verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation.

Driver verifier should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or when you have a bluescreen, whatever comes first.

If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset in safe mode driver verifier, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

Note Your system will act very sluggishly while driver verifier is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.

axe0, Sep 2, 2015
  5. pdmchubby Win User
    Here's my CBS file, system scan didn't find any violations.

CBS

pdmchubby, Sep 3, 2015
  6. axe0 New Member
    Only when sfc did not say that I asked for the upload*Wink

axe0, Sep 3, 2015
  7. pdmchubby Win User
    Sorry, the double-negative phrasing confused me.

I ran Driver Verifier and got two BSODs once the computer booted back into Windows, this time with the error "DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER". Not sure what the next step is, so I'll just throw up my dump files again in case you need them.

Attachment 35673

pdmchubby, Sep 3, 2015
  8. axe0 New Member

The cause of the crashes are the Logitech Camera driver
    Check for updates here
    Code: 3: kd> lmvm lvrs64start end module name fffff802`00830000 fffff802`00884000 lvrs64 T (no symbols) Loaded symbol image file: lvrs64.sys Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\lvrs64.sys Image name: lvrs64.sys Timestamp: Tue Oct 23 04:11:24 2012 (5085FCCC) CheckSum: 00058CF8 ImageSize: 00054000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote]
    The Nvidia Video driver has also been flagged, 1 time.
    I'm not sure if this will be a problem.
    Code: 3: kd> lmvm nvlddmkmstart end module name fffff801`ffb60000 fffff802`00648000 nvlddmkm T (no symbols) Loaded symbol image file: nvlddmkm.sys Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys Image name: nvlddmkm.sys Timestamp: Thu Jul 23 02:15:19 2015 (55B03217) CheckSum: 00AA405B ImageSize: 00AE8000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote]

axe0, Sep 3, 2015
  9. pdmchubby Win User
    Alright, I updated and/or got rid of those drivers and the BSODs are definitely less frequent now, so it has helped, but I still get them maybe once every day or two. I'm uploading my logs again in case you can find any other bad drivers.

Attachment 37433

pdmchubby, Sep 13, 2015
  10. axe0 New Member
    Please install the drivers you have removed, you need these drivers.

Please do the following
    • Search services.msc and open it
    • Search Nvidia Streamer Service
    • Right click > properties
    • Change startup type to disable

11. pdmchubby Win User
    The only driver I removed was my Logitech one, I still need that? I couldn't find the appropriate update and I don't really need the webcam. I just updated my Nvidia drivers.

I disabled Nvidia streamer service as instructed.

pdmchubby, Sep 13, 2015
  12. axe0 New Member
    Sorry, I thought you removed the Nvidia drivers, I still have to get used to some things in the logs.

Usually when people cannot find an update they are suggested to try an older version.
    I'm not sure if removing the driver could cause trouble, but I would let it as it is if it doesn't give trouble.

13. pdmchubby Win User

I'm still having BSOD problems (just had one a few minutes ago in fact), so I'm uploading another set of minidump files to see what the issue is.

Attachment 38844

pdmchubby, Sep 21, 2015
Thema:

1. BSOD bad_pool_caller, possibly related to wi-fi adapter - Similar Threads - BSOD bad_pool_caller possibly

2. Wi-Fi Adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wi-Fi Adapter: My laptop will no longer connect to the Wi-Fi. The network adapter says it is enabled but is not connected. I have tried device manager to uninstall and reinstall the network adapter. However that does not work. My question is how do I get it connected even though it says...
  3. Wi-Fi Adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi Adapter: My laptop will no longer connect to the Wi-Fi. The network adapter says it is enabled but is not connected. I have tried device manager to uninstall and reinstall the network adapter. However that does not work. My question is how do I get it connected even though it says...
  4. Wi-Fi Adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Wi-Fi network adapter and Wi-Fi issues

Wi-Fi network adapter and Wi-Fi issues: Hello, I have a Dell Vostro 3558, Windows 10, and for several months now I've been having a problem with my Wi-Fi network adapter which prevents me to connect to the Internet. It wasn't so bad at first I would just shut down and boot pc again then the Wi-Fi would work but now...
  6. Wi-fi related problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi-fi related problem: Hello , Even I off my hotspot still its name is showing . See below. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-related-problem/3340f7b6-3576-4e4c-9033-bdd091107536
  7. Wi-fi RELATED PROBLEM

Wi-fi RELATED PROBLEM: Hi , My pc always my hotspot is not secured when I connect my hotspot to my pc. And sometime also shows action needed.[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] Please see screen shot....
  8. Wi-Fi adapter

Wi-Fi adapter: My comuter says it has a Wi-Fi adapter but I can't get Wi-Fi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-adapter/b9617a96-78c2-46d9-874b-409565f9036c
  9. Wi-Fi adapter

Wi-Fi adapter: My laptop won't connect to WiFi. I opened the 'Device Manager' and don't see my wifi adapter. Not when I 'scan for hardware changes' or when I 'show hidden devices'. It's no longer available. My wifi adapter is... Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter...
  10. No Wi-Fi Adapter

No Wi-Fi Adapter: There is no Wi-Fi option/icon, nor Airplane mode. No Wi-Fi Adapter in Device Manager. My Windows is up to date, and so is all my Drivers. I've run the Network Troubleshooter multiple times. I've tried setting up a new network. I've reset the Network Adapters, reset my router,...