Windows 10: BSOD/crash playing games, memory error on shutdown

Discus and support BSOD/crash playing games, memory error on shutdown in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently bought and built myself a new gaming PC and have had a few issues with it. The first is that any time I shut down my computer after it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Void Concept, Oct 14, 2017.

1. BSOD/crash playing games, memory error on shutdown

I recently bought and built myself a new gaming PC and have had a few issues with it. The first is that any time I shut down my computer after it was in sleep mode, it shows a memory error. The second is that with games, if I play long enough my computer either blue screens or the application crashes and I'm unable to relaunch it without restarting my computer.

With the first issue, the error message that pops up is: 'The instruction at 0x0000000000000000 referenced memory at 0x0000000000000000. The memory could not be read.' The memory addresses are sometimes random, but 0x0 is very common. I've searched online to see if anyone has solved this and it seems to be a bug in Explorer that Microsoft knows about, but is like 'meh, doesn't hurt anything...it's shutting down anyways'. My previous computer used to do the same thing as well. An interesting thing I've noticed, which I don't think has been pointed out elsewhere, is that it only seems to happen after I have had my computer in sleep mode, or the second issue I've been having happened.

With the second issue, I'm able to play games for varying amounts of time. I was able to play Shadow of War for 5 hours yesterday without the issue happening, but happened again today after 1 hour. With Shadow of War, I have noticed that it starts to get jumpy/audio is messed up just before the crash. This happens even worse with Divinity: Original Sin 2. My computer has BSOD'd 3 times now playing Divinity, each time a different stop message, and it has crashed even more often. I've also had it happen on FFXIV. With Shadow of War and FFXIV, I'm not able to relaunch the game until I restart my computer. Divinity is usually able to be restarted if it didn't BSOD, but I did have one instance where I had to reboot for it to start again.

I've already tried the Windows memory check tool, and did a sfc /scannow (but it ran way too short to have actually scanned anything, so I'm going to try it again). Any other suggestions of where to check next?

:)

Void Concept, Oct 14, 2017

2. BSoD

+ when i play other games i dont have BSoD i think i can recognize it mostly when im playing Division ,Dark Souls 3 these are the most problematic games they were even crashing but i tried to fix this crashes and i think i fixed it(by those steps above
    and in game changes +veryfing games files etc) because i can play longer without any crash but it makes BSoD + streaming with OBS.

MarioMoricz, Oct 14, 2017
  3. BSOD Question *Dump File Included*

Greetings,

Today, while playing World of Warcraft, the game kept crashing giving me an "Error 132" Fatal Exception and also gave me the "referenced memory could not be read" error in the same instance.

I followed some trouble shooting tips and disabled my addons for the game. I was playing it and it was going fine and then I got a true BSOD.

Here is the dump file: 090816-10687-01.zip

I just need help in figuring this out since the return policy on the new computer is getting close.

Patrick Chick, Oct 14, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

BSOD/crash playing games, memory error on shutdown

Please fill in your system specsPlease follow this tutorial and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely including PSU, cooling and other used stuff like mouse, keyboard, monitor, case, etc.
    The PSU, cooling and other stuff are NOT mentioned in the tool.
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'. After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.

BSOD/crash playing games, memory error on shutdown [​IMG]

5. Updated info, although I'm not sure what info you were looking for that I didn't already have in there...

Void Concept, Oct 15, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    Diagnostics Test
    HDD TEST
    *Arrow Run HDTune to
    • check the health,
    • scan for errors, no quick scan but full scan
    • run a benchmark.
    It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.
    When above is done please make screenshots of the following
    • the health,
    • the error scan,
    • the benchmark incl. following
      • transfer rate,
      • access time,
      • burst rate,
      • cpu usage.

*Arrow Run SeaTools DOS to check the integrity of your HDD. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Run the long test.
    *Arrow Run chkdsk
    Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Use option TWO with parameter /r
    Upload the chkdsk log *Arrow Check Disk (chkdsk) - Read Event Viewer Log - Windows 7 Help Forums

7. So it's been about 5 days now and I'm still having the problem, just less often. I had it set up so that my C: drive (ssd) had my OS and important programs, D: (Hitachi) had other installed programs and E: (WD) had documents. I moved it so that D: now held both installed programs and documents, meaning E: isn't used (I don't really need 5TB of storage, 3TB will be more than enough), and the rate of crash has gone down. I also noticed that I forgot to install my motherboard drivers when setting up this computer, which is now only weeks old, so that was probably a factor as well.
    I haven't had time to go through the diagnostics steps on all of my drives, but since it's the weekend I decided to do it on my E: drive since it isn't really in use anymore and the error rate went down as soon as I took it mostly out of the loop. The tests yielded the attached results, but in the process I noticed that both D: and E: were hovering somewhere around 55C. HD Tune even warns me about this temperature when I have the drive selected. Could that be part of the problem?

Void Concept, Oct 21, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

Please use the information in this link to find the chkdsk /r results in the event.vwr and post the report into the thread:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Code: {Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\??\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.[/quote] Code: {Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\??\Volume{53333955-4c95-4087-934c-8614c99ea610}\System Volume Information\SPP\SppCbsHiveStore\{cd42efe1-f6f1-427c-b004-033192c625a4}{E6212BB8-AC1C-4D62-A56A-CF9921CD9FD1}' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.[/quote] Code: Volume E: (\Device\HarddiskVolume4) requires an Online Scan. An Online Scan will automatically run as part of the next scheduled maintenance task. Alternatively you may run "CHKDSK /SCAN" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:> -SCAN" locally or remotely via PowerShell.[/quote]

zbook, Oct 21, 2017
  9. Reevaluate after a period of time now that the chipset drivers are installed.

If the problem still continues, post back.

SmartEyeball, Oct 21, 2017
  10. @zbook I ran chkdsk /r on E: and it came back with nothing. Unfortunately forgot to screenshot, but I did read through and there was nothing out of the ordinary printed out. I also can't find any logs of any of the chkdsk runs I've done in the event viewer. Attached is what was printed out from method 2 of the post you linked.

@SmartEyeball I haven't had a crash in the last few days, although I've barely played the games that caused the crashes most often. I am still getting the memory error on shut down fairly often, but again, from my research it seems like a known bug in Explorer that only affects shutdown. I'll report back in a few days again if things crash again or not.

Void Concept, Oct 22, 2017
  11. zbook New Member
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.
    Recovering orphaned file psmsrv.dll.mui (355AF) into directory file 24B7C.
    1 unindexed files recovered to original directory.

Please turn off Windows fast startup:
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Code: Event[522]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot Date: 2017-09-30T16:01:18.695 Event ID: 29 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: Kyle-Desktop Description: Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.[/quote]

zbook, Oct 22, 2017
  12. axe0 New Member
    Don't forget to perform all tests on all partitions / disks.

13. BSOD/crash playing games, memory error on shutdown

Been a few more days, haven't had much play time in the biggest offending games but did have a crash last night in Destiny 2. Did the general 'program has stopped working' message, and I couldn't re-launch the game until I rebooted my computer. In that state, I tried restarting Explorer, closing a bunch of other programs I had running, etc seeing if I could narrow down what was the cause...eventually gave up and rebooted.

I've also turned off fast startup as zbook suggested. Since then I don't think I've seen the Explorer memory error on shutdown, but I think that has become rarer since I installed the chipset drivers.

I've run the HD Tune on the rest of the drives. I'm going to need another large block of time before attempting the chkdsk /r on D: or the SeaTools DOS since the error check took almost 7.5 hours. Here are the results:

Void Concept, Oct 25, 2017
  14. zbook New Member
    zbook, Oct 25, 2017
  15. Just played Shadow of War for about an hour and got another crash followed by BSOD (MEMORY_MANAGEMENT)

Void Concept, Oct 25, 2017
Thema:

1. BSOD/crash playing games, memory error on shutdown - Similar Threads - BSOD crash playing

2. BSOD when playing games memory issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when playing games memory issue: Hello!I have read around the forum and have tried many solutions and none have worked. I get BSOD when playing games 2-3 times a day. I have enabled driver verifier and crashed and it created a minidump file here. Could someone let me know what it says please?Thanks in...
  3. BSOD when playing games memory issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD when playing games memory issue: Hello!I have read around the forum and have tried many solutions and none have worked. I get BSOD when playing games 2-3 times a day. I have enabled driver verifier and crashed and it created a minidump file here. Could someone let me know what it says please?Thanks in...
  4. BSOD Memory Management mostly while playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Memory Management mostly while playing games: Split from this thread.Hi can you help me too i always experiencs bsod memory management mostly while playing Games. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001a 0x000000000000003f, 0x0000000000061c5e, 0x00000000b0f35efb, 0x0000000024549047. this...
  5. BSOD Memory Management mostly while playing games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Memory Management mostly while playing games: Split from this thread.Hi can you help me too i always experiencs bsod memory management mostly while playing Games. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001a 0x000000000000003f, 0x0000000000061c5e, 0x00000000b0f35efb, 0x0000000024549047. this...
  6. BSOD - memory management crash error?

BSOD - memory management crash error?: Hello, My PC has gotten BSOD on feb 14th and march 11th. Event viewer had different errors for both days. Feb 14th: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000001c7 ~ STORE_DATA_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION March 16th: The computer has rebooted from a...
  7. Memory Management BSODs and apps/games crashing

Memory Management BSODs and apps/games crashing: Hi, I have a windows 10 PC that was having memory management BSODs when I first bought it in January. I reseated and checked the RAM which didn't fix the problem, then saw that windows had set the virtual memory to about 2700mb for my 16gb of RAM, so I increased it. This...
  8. Crashes/BSOD when playing games

Crashes/BSOD when playing games: As the title says, I am getting very frequent crashes and BSODs when I play games. When I am doing any less intensive tasks on my pc, everything is fine. The first 10 of the 12 months I've had this custom built pc were fine. Then, the BSODs and crashes started and have become...
  9. BSOD Playing games / Unexpected Crash

BSOD Playing games / Unexpected Crash: Hello all, I do not know even i am having bluescreens but when i start playing whatever games i have, after a while game crashes and i computer does not even give any screen. Actually i receive no signal screen. Do i have any hardware issue because i do not get this...
  10. Windows 10 BSOD and system crash/shutdown when playing games

Windows 10 BSOD and system crash/shutdown when playing games: Issues started not long ago when I purchased a new gtx 750 ti graphics card. Get varied Bsod error messages such as video_tdr_failure nvlddmkm.sys, and DPC_Watchdog_violation as well as one or two others. These issues present themselves upon starting of certain games....