Windows 10: Bsod : Dpc watchdog violation

Discus and support Bsod : Dpc watchdog violation in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have been getting a BSOD being caused by a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. I used driver easy to try and update all of the system drivers, ran a check... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RobB, Aug 21, 2017.

1. RobB Win User

Bsod : Dpc watchdog violation

I have been getting a BSOD being caused by a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.

I used driver easy to try and update all of the system drivers, ran a check disk, and changed the rapid start up feature to off (power setting I believe), but the issue still persists.

I have gotten this error a few times with youtube and steam; I can consistently get the error when my oculus headset is plugged in and I am running thru the oculus setup tutorial.

Also, installs of software thru oculus or steam seems ot cause the BSOD Watchdog violation; after the BSOD the software installed by steam or oculus appears to function properly (until the next DPC_WATCHDOG violation event).

Any help would be appreciated

:)

2. BSOD- DPC Watchdog violation

BSOD - DPC watchdog violation how to fix?

JamesJagow, Aug 21, 2017
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Aug 21, 2017
  4. RobB Win User

Ran a memtest:
    Results: The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected no errors

5. RobB Win User
    Ran memtest 86 v 5.01 overnight: 1st pass on 128 GB of memory passed with no errors. I'm going to let it continue for 8 passes as was recommended in a previous thread.

6. philc43 Win User
    Hello RobB,

Let us know how the testing works out. DPC watchdog violation is a particular type of crash that is usually caused by bad drivers. DPC (deferred procedure call) is a mechanism which allows high-priority tasks to defer required but lower-priority tasks for later execution as determined by the interrupt handler. If the time taken for one of these deferred tasks takes too long or hangs then the DPC_Watchdog_Violation 0x133 bugcheck occurs. The first argument in the BSOD bucgcheck is either a 0 or 1 and this tells us if it is a single DPC (0) or an accumulation of DPC calls (1).

In your case all the 0x133 errors have a 1 as the first argument and so we deduce that more than one driver is probably responsible for the crash. It would be nice if the crash dump revealed what these drivers were but unfortunately it does not since all have a ZEROED_STACK_0x133 error. This means that there is nothing we can debug in the stack.

In this case the best thing you can do is run Driver Verifier and select drivers to test to identify any that might be bad. please follow the tutorial carefully and make sure you have backups and restore points in case you get stuck.

Bsod : Dpc watchdog violation [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    DRIVER VERIFIER

Warning Please make a backup of your important files and get your rescue media or create one.
    Please create a restore point.
    Please read and run driver verifier.

If you suspect a driver is causing a problem but do not have a clear idea which one it is then Driver Verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation.

Driver verifier should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or until you have a bluescreen, whichever comes first.

If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset driver verifier from within safe mode, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

Note Your system will act very sluggishly while driver verifier is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.

philc43, Aug 22, 2017
  7. RobB Win User
    Should I just end the memtest 86 v5.01? At the rate it is analyzing the 128 GB memory, it will take 2 - 2.5 days to complete. It sounds like the driver test may be more productive at this point?

8. philc43 Win User

My first approach would be to check the drivers. RAM testing might be required later but, as you realise, 8 passes is going to take a very long time!

philc43, Aug 22, 2017
  9. RobB Win User
    Driver Verifier caused a crash. WHat is the next step? Should I send the memory dump that is in the C:/Windows dir?

10. philc43 Win User
    Please post a new set of files which will contain the mini-dump and should allow us to see which driver caused the crash.

philc43, Aug 22, 2017
  11. RobB Win User
    Does the dump collection program that collects this info and zips it pull in the mem dump in the windows folder?

12. philc43 Win User
    No the memory.dmp file is too large to zip and upload. You can only share it via Dropbox, OneDrive or other cloud based folders. Generally it will not be needed unless we specifically ask for it.

philc43, Aug 22, 2017
  13. RobB Win User

14. philc43 Win User
    The full kernel dump was from the 0x133 error so it was not one caused by the Driver Verifier. However, the analysis does implicate your graphics driver.

Please update or reinstall the NVidia driver. The best way to do this is to uninstall everything of Nvidia using Display Driver Uninstaller and install new drivers from your Graphics card manufacturer or from the NVidia website. When you do this be sure the "clean install" box is checked and only install the Graphics driver and the PhysX driver.

It is possible to analyse the Driver Verifier data and the following drivers were picked out:

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for bcbtums.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for asmthub3.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for OCULUS119B.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for asmtxhci.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvvhci.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for IntelNit.sys

These would be the ones that I would suggest you check for newer versions on their respective websites. In some cases you might already have the latest driver, in which case try reinstalling or rolling back to an earlier version.

bcbtums.sys
    Broadcom Bluetooth Firmware Download Filter driver from Broadcom Corporation.
    Bluetooth Software

http://www.official-drivers.com/inst...FQFx4AodfBURcg

asmthub3.sys + asmtxhci.sys
    ASMedia USB 3.0 Hub drivers
    http://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_prod...3&cate_index=0

OCULUS119B.sys
    Look up on their website. This does confirm your earlier suspicion that OCULUS is a cause.

intelnit.sys
    (Intel(R) Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Driver, Intel Corporation).
    I'd suggest you remove the turbo boost technology as it can push you towards overclocking which can give rise to BSOD events.

philc43, Aug 23, 2017
  15. RobB Win User
    IT seems like the non-oculus issues went away. WOrking with oculus on the issue there.

Thema:

1. Bsod : Dpc watchdog violation - Similar Threads - Bsod Dpc watchdog

2. BSOD - DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION: My laptop keep restarting several times showing the blue screen of death with the error "DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION"I have tried to uninstall recent software and remove recent updates, but it's not working. I read a post recently here about checking the minidump folder. here is...
  3. BSOD - DPC Watchdog Violation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - DPC Watchdog Violation: Hello,First time posting on these forums/threads, so forgive me if formatting is off. I cannot for the life of me figure out what's causing these BSODs from DPC Watchdog Violation. Everything was fine up until today, last used computer 2 days ago evening of 5/20/23 without...
  4. DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD

DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD: Hello,My PC has been crashing for a couple weeks now. First instance happened while I was watching Netflix after installing latest NVIDIA driver v512.95 then I rolled back to v472.12 but issue still remains with crashes happened every reboot while watching movies, web...
  5. DPC watchdog violation BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DPC watchdog violation BSOD: SYMBOL_NAME: mtkwl6ex+335ceMODULE_NAME: mtkwl6exIMAGE_NAME: mtkwl6ex.sysSTACK_COMMAND: .cxr; .ecxr ; kbBUCKET_ID_FUNC_OFFSET: 335ceFAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x133_ISR_mtkwl6ex!unknown_functionOS_VERSION: 10.0.19041.1BUILDLAB_STR: vb_releaseOSPLATFORM_TYPE: x64OSNAME: Windows...
  6. BSOD: DPC Watchdog Violation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD: DPC Watchdog Violation: I suddenly experience BSOD due to DPC Watchdog Violation. I am not sure how to identify which drivers are outdated. But what I can remember is that I updated my BIOS for ASUS. I am attaching my Minidump here in case this could help solve the problem. Hope you could assist me...
  7. BSOD DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BSOD DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION: I've been getting this error for maybe 3-4 months now.Last night I hard reset my desktop and barely downloaded any applications.I'm still getting the same error.Can someone please help?https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnmVn5YcbJKNgQ67NQ9wrfHu5V4I?e=VRHvH8...
  8. DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD

DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD: Hello, I've been recently getting BSODs with error code DPC Watchdog Violation when waking PC up from sleep mode. My log files and system info can be found here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap87I0ekZbOF3WhuIjiI--QnKxbn?e=oOiOh8 Thanks, Daniel...
  9. BSOD-DPC Watchdog Violation

BSOD-DPC Watchdog Violation: Hi, my computer crashed 5 times in the past two months with a DPC Watchdog Violation coded blue screen error. I uploaded the DMP file of the latest crash, the output of Msinfo, and my computer specifications assuming that it may help diagnose the crash. It would help a lot...
  10. BSOD (DPC Watchdog Violations)

BSOD (DPC Watchdog Violations): Good Evening everyone! I will start this out by saying I am not an 85 year old grandmother trying to get on Facebook. I have been using computer since I was 8 (1993) and I am, for the first time, at a total loss. I keep getting intermittent BSOD (DPC Watchdog Violations). I...