Windows 10: BSOD every few hours or few days - very random

Discus and support BSOD every few hours or few days - very random in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Please make sure you first backup your stuff, create a restore point and create restore media (in case you have no media) In case of the worst thing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by stonerobertc, Sep 3, 2015.

1. axe0 New Member

BSOD every few hours or few days - very random

Please make sure you first backup your stuff, create a restore point and create restore media (in case you have no media)
    In case of the worst thing happens

2. When I got home today the computer had crashed four times in less than an hour. Attached is the most recent dump file. Any new info in it? I have not yet changed the driver. Thanks in advance.

Attachment 36517

stonerobertc, Sep 8, 2015
  3. axe0 New Member
    Please do the following

• Open an admin command prompt
    • Copy/paste "sfc/scannow" (without quotes) and press enter
    • When it finished reboot your system
    • Open again an admin command prompt
    • Enter sfc/scannow again

If sfc/scannow doesn't say "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violation", please upload the cbs.log file located at {windows partition}\Windows\Logs\CBS\, if the file is too large try a 3rd party uploader like dropbox, onedrive, google drive, mediafire etc.
    System File Check(SFC a.k.a. Windows Resource Protection) needs to have your system rebooted in order for sfc to try to fix the problems that it finds.

Please do the following

• ​Open an admin command prompt
    • ​Copy/paste "chkdsk C: /r" (without quotes)
    • Reboot if asked and whait until it finished, it may take quite a while.

BSOD every few hours or few days - very random [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    DRIVER VERIFIER

Warning Please make a backup of your important files and get your rescue media or create one.
    Please create a restore point.
    Please follow this tutorial run driver verifier.

Some windows drivers are blamed in a few crashes, but that usually means that a 3rd party driver is actually the cause.
    Driver verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation.

Driver verifier should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or when you have a bluescreen, whatever comes first.

If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset in safe mode driver verifier, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

Note Your system will act very sluggishly while driver verifier is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.

Drivers that have been flagged

Nvidia Video driver
    Code: 0: kd> lmvm nvlddmkmstart end module name fffff801`3db50000 fffff801`3e638000 nvlddmkm (deferred) Image path: nvlddmkm.sys Image name: nvlddmkm.sys Timestamp: Fri Aug 07 01:16:04 2015 (55C3EAB4) CheckSum: 00AB125E ImageSize: 00AE8000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote] Intel Rapid Storage Technology, you might want to disable this service if you're not using RAID
    Code: 0: kd> lmvm iastorastart end module name fffff801`3aea0000 fffff801`3b16d000 iaStorA (deferred) Image path: iaStorA.sys Image name: iaStorA.sys Timestamp: Mon Jan 14 19:00:27 2013 (50F447BB) CheckSum: 000A2FE2 ImageSize: 002CD000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote]

4. BSOD every few hours or few days - very random

I ran sfc/scannow and it reported no violations. I have already run driver verifier until it crashed. I loaded the newest QNF nvidia driver last night. Overnight it crashed twice. Attached is the file. Seems like I am running out of options. Thoughts.
    Attachment 36728

stonerobertc, Sep 9, 2015
  5. axe0 New Member
    Please make sure to update the software, for example Datacolor Spyder3 has drivers from 2007.

Please scan your system with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes free.
    In the installation of Malwarebytes make sure to uncheck the trial of the premium version.

Please make sure all the partitions have at least 10-15% free space.

Please disable startup items in taskmanager.

If you're using RAID for your hard drives, please update Intel Rapid Storage Technology.
    If you're not using RAID, please disable IRST.
    Code: 1: kd> lmvm iastorastart end module name fffff801`9dbb0000 fffff801`9de7d000 iaStorA (deferred) Image path: iaStorA.sys Image name: iaStorA.sys Timestamp: Mon Jan 14 19:00:27 2013 (50F447BB) CheckSum: 000A2FE2 ImageSize: 002CD000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote]

6. I thought I had disabled IRST but now I can't find it. Not sure why driver is flagged.

7. axe0 New Member
    Where have you disabled IRST?

8. BSOD every few hours or few days - very random

I think I found it in device manager but don't see it now.

9. axe0 New Member
    Please search for services.msc and see if you can find it in the services.
    You should disable it there if you can find it.

10. Thanks for your responses. The Defender and Malwarebytes were both clean. I had forgotten where I changed IRST since I have been poking around so many places. It turns out I had only set it to "manual" instead of "disabled". I have changed that. The Spyder3 does not appear to have a newer driver, at least not from Datacolor. Windows update shows it is the latest. The Spyder3 is older so there may not be newer software. I think the current one is Spyder5. It crashed once today, but that was before the IRST change. It continues to work great except when it crashes. The crashes mostly seem to occur overnight or during the day when I am not on the computer. We will see how it goes tonight. Attached is the latest dump info fro this afternoon's crash before the IRST change.
    Attachment 36820

stonerobertc, Sep 10, 2015
  11. axe0 New Member
    That crash is memory_corruption caused by the Nvidia Video driver.
    I won't give any recommendation, because I want to see what the behavior is when IRST is disabled.

12. It crashed again about 9:22 pm last night AFTER I disabled IRST. Attached is the file. Attachment 36881

However, I disabled a few things in startup after the last crash and it did not crash overnight. I disabled Spyder, 4 items related to an Epson network printer, MS OneDrive, one related to Roxio CD creator and a couple of Western Digital programs related to external drives.

Not sure what this means. It has gone for some extended periods before without crashing and it has only been about 10 hours at this point.

13. axe0 New Member

The partitions J, C and B need more free space.
    Move files to other partitions to increase the free space to at least 10-15%.

Warning Less free space on a partition could cause BSOD's

Please remove the Nvidia utilities if you're not using them.
    The cause is the Nvidia Video driver again.
    Code: 0: kd> lmvm nvlddmkmstart end module name fffff801`c1f10000 fffff801`c2a03000 nvlddmkm T (no symbols) Loaded symbol image file: nvlddmkm.sys Image path: nvlddmkm.sys Image name: nvlddmkm.sys Timestamp: Fri Aug 28 18:35:35 2015 (55E08DD7) CheckSum: 00AAF97A ImageSize: 00AF3000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote]

14. My optimism was premature. I changed back to the latest nvidia ODE driver instead of the latest QNF driver, and I shifted a few things around to change the disk space issues. I also disabled the nvidia nView Wizard in startup. However, it crashed this afternoon while I had my iPad connected and was deleting photos. Here is the dump info.
    Attachment 36936

15. axe0 New Member
    Please do the following:
    • Open an admin command prompt
    • Copy/paster "chkdsk C: /f" (without quotes) and press enter
    • Reboot if asked

A system service exception error possibly caused by memory, but the RAM is ruled out.

Thema:

1. BSOD every few hours or few days - very random - Similar Threads - BSOD every few

2. Random BSOD every few hours

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random BSOD every few hours: My computer crashes intermittently even if I'm not there doing anything and it's asleep every once in a while, I don't know what's causing it. The error code reads 139, so following instructions I found on here and used the Driver Verifier, crashing as a result of it, then...
  3. Random BSOD every few hours

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random BSOD every few hours: My computer crashes intermittently even if I'm not there doing anything and it's asleep every once in a while, I don't know what's causing it. The error code reads 139, so following instructions I found on here and used the Driver Verifier, crashing as a result of it, then...
  4. Getting BSOD randomly after few days or hours.

Getting BSOD randomly after few days or hours.: I randomly get BSOD in few days and even few hours of keeping on my computer this issue has started most probably after a powercut but i installed new Windows just 2 days before because of the same problem it happens randomly and my system works fine for some hours like today...
  5. Random BSODs every few days

Random BSODs every few days: For the past few months I've been random BSODs for seemingly no reason, the computer isn't being stressed or doing anything 'unique' at the time it happens, the BSOD errors include : 01/06/23 : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA01/03/23 : Memory Management : WARNING: Unable to...
  6. Random BSODs every few days

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random BSODs every few days: For the past few months I've been random BSODs for seemingly no reason, the computer isn't being stressed or doing anything 'unique' at the time it happens, the BSOD errors include : 01/06/23 : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA01/03/23 : Memory Management : WARNING: Unable to...
  7. Random BSODs every few days

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. BSODs Every Few Hours

BSODs Every Few Hours: Hello, my laptop has been having various BSODs throughout this year. In a day it can restart once every two hours. The most common errors are memory management, unexpected store exception, kernel data inpage error, critical process died, bad system config info and invalid...
  9. BSODs Every Few Days

BSODs Every Few Days: Hello, I recently upgraded my PC with new mobo/gpu/cpu/ram, and have been having BSODs on and off since. They have only happened when I was away from the computer, so I didn't realize they were happening until one occurred while my wife was using Autodesk Revit. She has...
  10. BSOD every few hours

BSOD every few hours: Hello Community, i'm pretty well tech educated but i am running into some issues with a pc built for my uncle that is experiencing frequent blue screens of death. But we are having issues figuring out which hardware component or driver is failing. The Error/BSOD:...