Windows 10: BSOD on Restart, Boots fine from cold power up

Discus and support BSOD on Restart, Boots fine from cold power up in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; If I am in Windows 10 and choose "Restart" or the OS reboots from a software install/update, I get a BSOD after post. The screen reads: Recovery Your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by eldorin, May 9, 2019.

1. eldorin Win User

BSOD on Restart, Boots fine from cold power up

If I am in Windows 10 and choose "Restart" or the OS reboots from a software install/update, I get a BSOD after post.

The screen reads:
    Recovery
    Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
    The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors.
    File: /windows/system32/ntoskrnl.exe
    Error code: 0xc0000221

If I power the system down or do a shut down, from a cold power off, it boots fine every time. Only a warm restart causes this error.

:)

eldorin, May 9, 2019
  2. eldorin Win User

If I am in Windows 10 and choose "Restart" or the OS reboots from a software install/update, I get a BSOD after post.

The screen reads:
    Recovery
    Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
    The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors.
    File: /windows/system32/ntoskrnl.exe
    Error code: 0xc0000221

If I power the system down or do a shut down, from a cold power off, it boots fine every time. Only a warm restart causes this error.

eldorin, May 9, 2019
  3. ElderJohn Win User
    BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE randomly after cold boot/sleep

For the past month I have been getting random BSOD's all with driver power state failure. They happen randomly, usually within the first 5-10 minutes of cold booting or waking my computer. Steps I have taken to attempt to fix the problem:
    1. Reinstalled GPU drivers/ tried old drivers
    2. Fresh installed Windows 1803, still happened, then fresh installed 1709
    3. Disabled Fast Boot
    None of these things fixed the issue, any help would be much appreciated at pinpointing the issue. Thanks

ElderJohn, May 9, 2019
  4. zbook Win User

1) Perform a cold boot

2) See posting instructions > run the BETA log collector and post a zip into this thread
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

3) Backup all files by copy and paste to another drive or the cloud or making a backup image or both
    Macrium Software | Your Image is Everything
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect | Tutorials

4) When making a backup image save the image to another disk drive ( not another partition on the same drive) or to the cloud

5) Find a flash drive that you can format ( > or = 8 GB)

6) Create a bootable Windows 10 iso

Download Windows 10 ISO File | Tutorials
    Download Windows 10

7) Perform an in place upgrade repair:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade | Tutorials

8) Turn off fast boot
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 | Tutorials

9) Steps for an in place upgrade repair
    a) Power on the computer (use cold boot)
    b) Open file explorer
    c) Insert the Windows 10 iso flash drive into any USB port
    d) Identify the flash drive within file explorer
    e) Click on the iso and launch setup or setup.exe
    f) Follow the text and images in this link:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade | Tutorials

zbook, May 9, 2019
Thema:

1. BSOD on Restart, Boots fine from cold power up - Similar Threads - BSOD Restart Boots

2. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  3. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  4. Laptop freezes on restart but boots up perfectly fine from powering on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop freezes on restart but boots up perfectly fine from powering on: The laptop is perfectly fine from being booted when it's powered off and on but when I try to restart it from windows it freezes up on the computer maker's logo MSI. It desperately needs a windows update but it can't due to the fact that it freezes up on the reboot. I've...
  5. Laptop freezes on restart but boots up perfectly fine from powering on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop freezes on restart but boots up perfectly fine from powering on: The laptop is perfectly fine from being booted when it's powered off and on but when I try to restart it from windows it freezes up on the computer maker's logo MSI. It desperately needs a windows update but it can't due to the fact that it freezes up on the reboot. I've...
  6. Laptop freezes on restart but boots up perfectly fine from powering on

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Win10 cold boots fine but restart gets "inaccessible boot device"

Win10 cold boots fine but restart gets "inaccessible boot device": I have a Win10 system that is showing an odd symptom: it cold boots i.e., from a power up fine, but any restart whether manually requested or as part of a Windows Update fails with "Inaccessible boot device". None of the reports I see here seem to match that, and the fixes...
  8. BSOD on Restart, Boots fine from cold power up

in Windows 10 Support
    BSOD on Restart, Boots fine from cold power up: If I am in Windows 10 and choose "Restart" or the OS reboots from a software install/update, I get a BSOD after post. The screen reads: Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors....
  9. BSOD with internal power error at cold boot or waking up from hibernation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD with internal power error at cold boot or waking up from hibernation: Hello, everyone: My device is Alienware 13 r3 with Intel i7-7700hq and Nvidia gtx 1060, running windows 10 64 bit 1809. Recently I got BSOD upon cold boot or waking up from hibernation. Direct reboot from OS usually is OK. I first tried to use windbg to analyze the...
  10. Dell XPS 13: Freezes on Dell logo on restart, but boots from cold fine

Dell XPS 13: Freezes on Dell logo on restart, but boots from cold fine: Morning - we just bought (our second) XPS 13 which I did a clean install of Windows 10 on (to claim back as much disk space as possible). All okay, except when selecting 'Restart' from the 'Start Button/Power', the computer freezes on the Dell logo, not even getting to the...