Windows 10: BSOD with REGISTRY_ERROR after 4 minutes of idle time

Discus and support BSOD with REGISTRY_ERROR after 4 minutes of idle time in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have exactly the same problem as another forum post but the solutions there did not help. The computer seems very stable right up until I let it go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by bhowden, Mar 5, 2016.

1. bhowden Win User

BSOD with REGISTRY_ERROR after 4 minutes of idle time

I have exactly the same problem as another forum post but the solutions there did not help. The computer seems very stable right up until I let it go idle. After 4 minutes I get the REGISTRY_ERROR bsod. The system is not over clocked. CPU temps are low. Memtest86(+) runs fine for 8 passes with 0 errors. Disabling the two .NET tasks that start on idle in Task Scheduler made no difference (as per the post with a similar issue). CHKDSK /R requires a reboot and no messages are present on the screen while running but there is no log file generated in Event Viewer / logfiles / application. I ran sfc /scannow and got errors. A reboot and retry did not correct the error. I ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and it successfully repaired the system. Subsequent scans with SCF indicate no issues or problems. Not sure if it is relevant but the system has a Samsung 950 SSD as the C drive.

Any ideas?

Brian

:)

bhowden, Mar 5, 2016

2. BSoD every 5 - 10 minutes - REGISTRY_ERROR

Try running
    sfc and dism
    first thing immediately after a reboot. If they get interrupted too, try running them from safe mode. Also scan your hard disk for errors using
    chkdsk /r.

See if a new local admin user account also behaves the same way.

Perhaps some of the solutions mentioned
    here
    might help.

RobertJWin, Mar 5, 2016
  3. Windows 10 x64 BSOD irql not less or equal

Hi there!

I have Lenovo T460s UltraBook with Windows 10 x64 onboard and the same problem but...

BSOD's shows up in very random times. All my drivers are up to date (updated today from official Lenovo site).

Computer starts normally works fine and... BSOD. Last one was few minutes ago. Computer was idle. I've started Windows after BSOD, logged in and did nothing. After 3 or 4 minutes Windows crashed with BSOD.

All factory diagnostics passed.

Memory dump is here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An3BHu_b5TxXiP1kZ9m_ZWe-rJdRaQ

I hope that someone can help me.

Regards

SK

SławomirKubkowski, Mar 5, 2016
  4. BSOD with REGISTRY_ERROR after 4 minutes of idle time

Hello Brian and welcome to 10forums! *Smile

I've looked throught some of your BSODs and all seem to be about the same REGISTRY_ERROR or also known as 0x51. And since you clearly have done some troubleshooting for us I will post what I believe will solve your issue.

Your BIOS is old and I believe that updating it might solve your issue, so please without further ado please head on over to the Gigabyte support download page:
    GA-Z170-HD3

And download the F6 BIOS file, if you are unfamiliar on how to perform the BIOS update:
    How to Reflash Motherboard BIOS

Cheers, Boris *Smile

BorisTheAnimal, Mar 6, 2016
  5. bhowden Win User
    Thanks for the quick response!

Unfortunately no joy. I updated the Bios to F5 a couple of weeks ago and at that time, F6 was still in beta which seemed to be asking for more variables. Since it is now a final version I downloaded it and flashed the bios with F6. It clearly makes some changes as office requested I re-activate my office install due to hw changes.

Unfortunately the problem does not seem to be affected and it still crashes after 4 minutes of inactivity. I have attached the dump file produced when it failed. Any idea how I can find the log file for the chkdsk I ran? The event viewer / Windows logs/Application does not show any indication of the chkdsk log but around the correct time it does show an eventID of 300 followed by a 301 followed by a 302 which talk about log database recovery. I am not sure if that could be related.

Brian

bhowden, Mar 6, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
  7. bhowden Win User
    That is where I was looking. As explained above, there are no events with an event ID of 26226 anywhere in the log. At the time there should have been an entry there is a 300, 301, and 302 which talk about a logging database recovery. My question was whether or not that could be related to the missing log and what I can do to get a log.

Brian

bhowden, Mar 6, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

It is the answer for the question you asked...

axe0, Mar 6, 2016
  9. bhowden Win User
    What I am trying to explain is that is the procedure I followed and that there are no chkdsk entries in the filtered list. There are several wininit information messages.

Brian

bhowden, Mar 6, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    I understand that, but I just was answering your question *Smile

I'd like to go further with your SSD and HDD after a malware scan.
    The why is easy,
    an infection could cause critical registry changes (depending on the infection of course),
    hardware failure could also cause a system to malfunction including problems with the registry.
    Is the firmware of your SSD up to date? You could use Samsung Magician for checking this.

BSOD with REGISTRY_ERROR after 4 minutes of idle time [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    Malware scan
    Please run a threat scan with Malwarebytes*, a full scan with your AV, scan your system with Adwcleaner, Kaspersky TTDSKiller, ESET Online Scanner and SuperAntiSpyware

Note *(Uncheck trial version in the installation process)

11. bhowden Win User
    Please run a threat scan with Malwarebytes*, a full scan with your AV, scan your system with Adwcleaner, Kaspersky TTDSKiller, ESET Online Scanner and SuperAntiSpyware

Note *(Uncheck trial version in the installation process)
    Well that was a bit of work because if I leave the computer it crashes so I had to stay there through all the scans. All were negative. Samsung utility reports firmware is up to date. Sequential read and write were close to theoretical speed. Random read and write were about half the expected speed.

Malwarebytes reported no threats
    Adwcleaner reported some tracking cookies but nothing else
    Kaspersky TTDSKiller reported no threats
    ESET Online Scanner reported no threats
    SuperAntiSpyware reported no threats.

Brian

bhowden, Mar 7, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    Diagnostics Test
    HDD TEST

Run HDTune to
    • scan for errors, no quick scan but full scan
    • check the health,
    • benchmark.
    It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.
    Let me know what the results are
    • of the error scan,
    • make a screenshot of the health of every hard drive and post the screenshots,
    • post screenshots with the benchmark of the
      • transfer rate,
      • access time,
      • burst rate,
      • cpu usage.

13. bhowden Win User

*Smile

Brian

bhowden, Mar 7, 2016
  14. axe0 New Member
    This is a world wide open forum, there are different time zones *Wink

It all looks good *Smile

I have a few suggestions for now, more are on the way while there is progress *Smile
    1. Testing in safe mode, if it crashes in safe mode you either have a very bad windows (very less occuring) or hardware problems

2. A clean install/in-place upgrade
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

15. bhowden Win User
    So far, it is looking good. It ran fine for 30 minutes in safe mode so I reinstalled the other two hard drives and the ATI card then did the repair and it has run fine for 2 1/2 hours so far. There are a few errors in the event viewer but nothing that looks fatal. A few service control manager and a couple of remote DCOM messages.

I am very glad to report that all my installed applications including the win32 ones are fine. I was NOT looking forward to having to do a clean install.

I am going to leave it over night through a couple of sleep / hibernate cycles and a backup and see what it is looking like in the morning and update you then.

Thank up for all your patience, support and suggestions.

Brian

bhowden, Mar 8, 2016
Thema:

1. BSOD with REGISTRY_ERROR after 4 minutes of idle time - Similar Threads - BSOD REGISTRY_ERROR minutes

2. BSOD REGISTRY_ERROR

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD REGISTRY_ERROR: Hi,Last night I was working on my PC,i have got the blue screen of death before, so when it happened again, i just waited for my PC to restart and be okay again.But then the computer kept getting the same error and it kept restarting after restarting, kept getting the BSOD.It...
  3. BSOD REGISTRY_ERROR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD REGISTRY_ERROR: Hi,Last night I was working on my PC,i have got the blue screen of death before, so when it happened again, i just waited for my PC to restart and be okay again.But then the computer kept getting the same error and it kept restarting after restarting, kept getting the BSOD.It...
  4. BSOD REGISTRY_ERROR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Infinite loop after BSOD “Registry_Error”, can’t reset

Infinite loop after BSOD “Registry_Error”, can’t reset: Hi. I turned my PC (running windows 10) on this morning but I got a blue screen saying “Your PC ran into a problem. We’ll restart the computer for you”. The error code was “Registry_Error”. The computer is now stuck in an infinite loop. It just keeps restarting over and...
  6. BSOD after 5 minutes of idle period

BSOD after 5 minutes of idle period: I run it with Driver verifier... Here is the minidump file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsmlV167rgkYgpx4LdY0oEBs0DGQ9Q NFO file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsmlV167rgkYgpxxbT_NgPU-ISncKg And some previous dumps. https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsmlV167rgkYgpx5OAww_hlaaw2G7A It is a brand...
  7. BSoD's after 10 minutes idle

BSoD's after 10 minutes idle: This has been going on for about a month. After ten minutes idle, I get a random blue screen. 8 passes of memtest yielded no errors. How many of the 42 .dmp files should I send and how should I send them? Thanks in advance 88850
  8. REGISTRY_ERROR Blue screen when idle

REGISTRY_ERROR Blue screen when idle: Hi all, I'm experiencing random blue screens (REGISTRY_ERROR) when I idle for 5-10+ minutes. The time is never consistant, but if I leave a game playing in the background I can idle fine. Under heavy load I face no issues, either. I've disabled any tasks that were...
  9. BSOD after a few minutes of idle

BSOD after a few minutes of idle: After leaving my computer alone for a few minutes my computer restarts with a REGISTRY_ERROR BSOD. I have disabled ".NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319 Critical" and ".NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319 64 Critical" and also ran sfc/scannow with no integrity violation. I uninstalled...
  10. BSOD when idle for 4 minutes, REGISTRY_ERROR

BSOD when idle for 4 minutes, REGISTRY_ERROR: Starting on the 17th, which is how far back the dump files should go, my computer began receiving a BSOD with the error "REGISTRY_ERROR" whenever I would leave it idle for about 4 minutes. Previously I've never had any issues with this computer. Everything's at stock. I'm...