Windows 10: Bugged Start Menu

Discus and support Bugged Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can anyone help to solve my issue with this start menu [img] 49907 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rrizky20, May 10, 2016.

1. rrizky20 Win User

Bugged Start Menu

Can anyone help to solve my issue with this start menu
    Bugged Start Menu [​IMG]

:)

rrizky20, May 10, 2016
  2. SnowmanDK Win User

Start Menu miss icons and bugged Start Menu Folders

Can anyone explain what is going on here?

I can select to add BOTH store and non-store apps/programs to the Taskbar, but nothing happens.

ALL non-store programs/apps shows blank icons.

All Start Menu folders that I can add (except from "File Explorer" and "Settings") using settings causes this error:

File system error (-2144926975). The folders DO exist.

"Settings" from the Start Menu Folders settings don't do ANYTHING.

I have already tried the following solutions (none of them worked):

-- SFC /scannow -> No errors

-- DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth -> No errors

-- Deleting icon cache.

-- Creating a new account.

Bugged Start Menu [​IMG]

Bugged Start Menu [​IMG]

SnowmanDK, May 10, 2016
  3. E for Excel, May 10, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Bugged Start Menu

What is the problem. The picture without an explanation doesn't tell me anything.

Ztruker, May 10, 2016
  5. axe0 New Member
    The problem is that rrizky20 only sees the option 'more' when right clicking an item in the start menu, there should be some more options.

First, please make sure Windows is up to date, visit Windows Update in case you've not yet installed the updates from patchday.
    Second:

Bugged Start Menu [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    Bugged Start Menu [​IMG]
    System File Check
    Please try following:
    • Open an admin command prompt
    • Copy/paste "sfc/scannow" (without quotes) and press enter
    • When it finished reboot your system
    • Open again an admin command prompt
    • Enter sfc/scannow again
    If sfc/scannow says "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" after the second SFC, please upload the cbs.log file located at %systemroot%\Logs\CBS\, if the file is too large try a 3rd party uploader like dropbox, onedrive, google drive, mediafire etc.
    System File Check(SFC a.k.a. Windows Resource Protection) needs to have your system rebooted in order for sfc to try to fix the problems that it finds.

6. rrizky20 Win User
    rrizky20, May 10, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Sorry, can't see your log- no access. You can zip it and attach it using the paperclip icon.

If your only failures are sound files or opencl.dll, no problem. That said, the latest update is said to have solved that MS problem.

dalchina, May 10, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Bugged Start Menu

......................already updated to latest version of windows and seems that sfc cant repair my issue...................

I just did that yesterday after installing the new version 10586.318.

I ran the sfc and it found corrupt files but unable to repair.
    Then in elevated command prompt, I ran .......
    dism /online /cleanup-image / restorehealth
    Result : operstion successful.
    Then I ran sfc /scannow again and this time it found the corrupt files and successfully repaired them.

Here is the screenshot of what I had done..........................

Bugged Start Menu [​IMG]

davidhk, May 10, 2016
  9. rrizky20 Win User
    my problem with dism command
    Bugged Start Menu [​IMG]

rrizky20, May 11, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hello, check your command carefully: you have an extra space before RestoreHealth

You are just entering the command incorrectly. It should be this below with the spaces instead:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

dalchina, May 11, 2016
  11. rrizky20 Win User
    is 76gb enough? tho i have 228gb on my system drive

rrizky20, May 11, 2016
  12. lx07 Win User
    Your second attempt was OK. What your error is telling you is exactly what it says. Windows doesn't have the required files (in the component store) to fix the corruption and you need to specify a source for these files.

You need an ISO or installation media and in fact you'll need this whatever method of fixing you decide to do so you may as well download it if you don't have one. You can download an ISO from Microsoft here - just pick the correct language etc Tech Bench

Mount the ISO (by double clicking on it) and then check which drive it has assigned (in this example it is D)

Then enter Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wimBugged Start Menu :D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess
    as described here DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums

Alternatively use this utility - it has worked well for me and is easier than remembering all the convoluted dism syntax: Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Do try also before running dism again to delete your log files in C:\Windows\Logs\DISM and then afterwards copy the dism.log to your desktop, zip it and upload it here as I can't see your google drive - I'm not authorized. See Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

Definitely. I have 20GB for the whole Windows installation.

I doubt getting dism to work will fix your original problem with the start menu though. Try making another account and see if that works. If the new account works then the component store corruption which dism fixes is not the issue (but should still perhaps be fixed anyway).

Try option 3 here User Account - Add in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums . Log on to the new account and see if start menu works.

13. davidhk Win User

Bugged Start Menu

Use this Tech Bench link to download YOUR version of Windows 10. Please follow the instructions to the letter.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

* Make sure you download the same Windows 10 Edition, Language and Bit-version as your computer is now running.

Once you have the iso downloaded, right click at the ISO > click Mount > leave it there.
    Then open the elevated command prompt and copy and paste this................

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:H:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Note : H is the drive where the iso is mounted. Change it if your driver letter is different.

When it is completed, you should get the report that the operation is successful.
    Now run the sfc /scannow again. It should be ok this time.

davidhk, May 11, 2016
  14. rrizky20 Win User
    still doesn't work
    C:\Windows\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esdBugged Start Menu :D:\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

rrizky20, May 11, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    rrizky20,

Read my reply, Post 11.

Pay attention to this line....................

Note : H is the drive where the iso is mounted. Change it if your driver letter is different.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Bugged Start Menu

1. Bugged Start Menu - Similar Threads - Bugged Start Menu

2. Bug with the start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bug with the start menu tiles: Hello community,in the image below you can see a bug with the start menu tiles. I can't remove them nor move them around or interact in some way. I just have the context menu with "More-> Deactivate Live-Tiles" if this is the correct translation.How can I fix/remove it?...
  3. Bug with the start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bug with the start menu tiles: Hello community,in the image below you can see a bug with the start menu tiles. I can't remove them nor move them around or interact in some way. I just have the context menu with "More-> Deactivate Live-Tiles" if this is the correct translation.How can I fix/remove it?...
  4. Bug with the start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu tiles bug

Start menu tiles bug: My pc was working pretty slow so i decided to reset it. After reset everything was good when i noticed that the start menu tiles were messed up. Few tiles were overlapped on one another and while trying to seprate them the start menu...
  6. Start Menu icons bug

Start Menu icons bug: Some Start Menu icons are not appearing correctly [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-icons-bug/f6dea444-1359-472e-8d35-a1755154ed4e
  7. I found a bug in the start menu (bug)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I found a bug in the start menu (bug): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ChilDragonMC [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l5t9rd/i_found_a_bug_in_the_start_menu_bug/
  8. Windows Start Menu Bug

Windows Start Menu Bug: I've encountered a weird bug that I'm assuming is caused by a new update of Windows 10 as I've never had this issue before. Whenever I open my Windows Start menu, it lags as it appears as well as when it disappears. The animation of it appearing and disappearing seems to be...
  9. Start menu bug in 1909

Start menu bug in 1909: So I am experiencing an issue, with the start menu. When I hover the cursor over the side-bar on the left of the Windows Start Menu, the side-bar expands to its full size instead of just showing the tooltip for the hovered item like in 1903. I've searched several times...
  10. Start Menu and Search Bug

Start Menu and Search Bug: Start button becomes unresponsive and search bar disappears when transfering something from usb or something like that.I have the latest version of Windows.Searched internet but could not find a solution.I just know that many people seems to have this start menu issue.Anyone...