Windows 10: Building a new PC. Can I download Win 10 Pro again?

Discus and support Building a new PC. Can I download Win 10 Pro again? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I know the title seems vague, but here is the scoop. A few years ago I had to purchase a new SSD for my C:\ drive. I also purchased a copy of Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bimfi, Mar 10, 2018.

1. bimfi Win User

Building a new PC. Can I download Win 10 Pro again?

I know the title seems vague, but here is the scoop. A few years ago I had to purchase a new SSD for my C:\ drive. I also purchased a copy of Windows 10 Pro, but did not need to. I just downloaded it from Microsoft. That being said, it is time for me to build a new PC. My current PC will be given to a relative. I will pull off everything I need, then do a factory restore on the C:\ drive of the current PC. Here is where I need direction. Do I once again download Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft and install on my new build, or do I get the chance to use the Win 10 that I purchased from Best Buy? Someone on another forum suggested that I just take my old c:\ drive and put it in my new build. I thought that was a good idea then realized that all of the hardware is different and would confuse the OS. Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

:)

bimfi, Mar 10, 2018

2. Install Win 10 Pro as dual boot currently have Win 7 Pro

Install Win 10 Pro as dual boot currently have Win 7 Pro

Can do Partitioning during install or better do from Win 7 Pro disk manager?

New self build PC or install Win 10 PRo as dual boot

I will build a PC myself, i already have SSD so

Partitioning or erase/format NTFS can be done during install[Win 10 Pro]? I want delete all data in ssd when adapt to new build...

Installing Win 10 Pro from usb flash drive is better than using an external usb 3 dvd writer & dvd with Win 10 Pro? the latter should boot from dvd... if set boot from usb? better use usb 2 or usb 3?

Lse123polis, Mar 10, 2018
  3. Windows 10 clean install using windows 7 pro? read for better details.

I was running Win 7 Pro on my pc, and I upgraded it to Win 10 pro.

I am now building a new custom computer to replace my old one and I want to do a clean install of Win 10 Pro on it.

How can I do this?

I have heard once you upgrade your Win 7 Pro there is a Win 10 Pro key that is generated that can be used to do this?

If that's the case do I use my old win 7 pro key or a different key that I can find on my pc? (using a burned CD or USB for a clean install)

Will I have no choice but to buy Win 10 Pro, or install Win 7 Pro and wait for it to upgrade? I really don't want to do this.

Also, is Win 10 Pro N the same as normal Win 10 just missing the media pack? As in it can be used to do everything and works the same as the normal win 10 once the media package is installed?

ZacharyGorby, Mar 10, 2018
  4. Building a new PC. Can I download Win 10 Pro again?

ThrashZone, Mar 10, 2018
  5. bimfi Win User
    So, I don't need to buy a copy of windows anymore? I guess it's not like the days of Windows XP or 7, where a product key was necessary to prevent pirating? If that is the case, then the PC I am giving to a relative will be registered in their name once they start it up and go through the activation process? What am I supposed to do with the copy of Windows that I spent a lot of money on? Right now it is just a lightweight paperweight collecting dust. It may never see a PC. How sad...

bimfi, Mar 10, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    It's not entirely clear if you used the key from the Win 10 Pro you purchased to activate the old PC. If you didn't use it then you can use it on the new build.

Yes, download from Microsoft again (you want to install the latest version, not the one you bought two years ago). When you run Setup choose Pro as the edition to install. The key you bought two years ago is valid for Windows 10 Pro, it's not tied to a particular version number - it's as valid for the latest 1709 as it was two years ago for the version 1511 (probably) that you bought.

No, you still need a key, but it seems you have an unused one to hand. Without a key Windows 10 will run, but it will not be activated and will have minor restrictions (can't set desktop wallpaper, for example). It is a violation of the EULA to use an unactivated copy but it won't expire. You'll just keep being nagged until you buy a key.

If you bought a Retail key and did use the key on the old PC, but have now removed Windows 10 and 'factory reset' it to an earlier Windows then it is theoretically possible to transfer the key to a new machine. You may need to phone Microsoft support to get it activated though.

7. I upgraded from my old Asus M32BC PC, and since i bought Pro edition of Windows 10 in June 2016, i spoke to MS via Chat support and successfully got it transferred from old system to my newer Windows 10 Pro based Intel I7 PC, legally done i think, they eventually gave me a new key as it kept activating Home when i upgraded to 1709 when it came out, 3 more hours on chat with MS, finally they entered the new key remotely, and been fine since.

Old system not used much lately, but Home edition does work on it (guess legal) not sure lol, mostly off lately as eventually might give that system away to family

AMDMan2016, Mar 10, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Windows 10 is surprisingly good at sorting out the drivers when you do something like that. Activation will be a problem though, the new hardware won't match any record on the MS activation servers so Window will not be activated, not without a valid key.

A clean install is probably the easier route.

9. bimfi Win User
    Thanks, Bree, for clearing that up. My other concern is for the one receiving my old PC. After I restore it to factory, will they have to put in a product key? I don't remember ever putting one in when I up graded to Windows 10 a long time ago. If they do, I guess they could do like AMDMan2016 and chat with MS support. Again, thanks!

bimfi, Mar 10, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    What version of Windows is the factory reset?

An OEM factory reset works differently for 7 or 8.

On an OEM Windows 7 PC supplied with Windows pre-installed there is an SLP code embedded in the bios firmware that activates the restored OEM system image automatically. It's not a key as such, but it is proof of the machine being licensed to run Win7.

For Windows 8/8.1 machines there is a full product key embedded in the firmware. This activates the system after the reset.

In fact, if you clean installed Windows 10 on a PC built for and supplied with Windows 8/8.1 then Setup reads this embedded key to determine which edition to install and treats this as an upgrade of a qualifying version of Windows. This may explain why you didn't need to use your key, the PC qualified for a license in its own right.

11. bimfi Win User
    That makes sense. Being so long ago, I think I originally was running win 7 pro, then possibly upgraded to a beta win 8 (?), then upgraded to windows 10, if that makes sense. Like I said it was a while ago. I will play it by ear and see what windows wants to do.

bimfi, Mar 10, 2018
  12. Bree New Member
    Well, an upgrade of a licensed Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 would have given that PC a digital license tied to its unique hardware ID and store on the Microsoft activation servers. It would have its own license for Windows 10. Before you decommission it, check its activation, it would say 'activated with a digital license...'.

If so, you could probably do a clean install of 10 before passing it on. The unused key you bought would be free to use on the new build.

13. bimfi Win User

Great! I will do that.

bimfi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Building a new PC. Can I download Win 10 Pro again? - Similar Threads - Building download Pro

2. Can I get Win 10 Back again after reverting to Win 7 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I get Win 10 Back again after reverting to Win 7 Pro: Gteetings: A crack developed in my Win 7 Pro disc rendering it useless. I am in the process of trying to salvage my wife's Dimensions E521 and part of it is to have that Win 7 Pro disc. So, can I do this: My desktop is an Inspiron 546 which has Win 10 Pro O/S by virtue of...
  3. Can I get Win 10 Back again after reverting to Win 7 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I get Win 10 Back again after reverting to Win 7 Pro: Gteetings: A crack developed in my Win 7 Pro disc rendering it useless. I am in the process of trying to salvage my wife's Dimensions E521 and part of it is to have that Win 7 Pro disc. So, can I do this: My desktop is an Inspiron 546 which has Win 10 Pro O/S by virtue of...
  4. Can I get Win 10 Back again after reverting to Win 7 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 Pro downgraded to Win 7 Pro - Can I install Windows 10 Pro again ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro downgraded to Win 7 Pro - Can I install Windows 10 Pro again ?: Hey,I have a lot of ongoing work with HP All-in-one computers that were downgraded to Win 7 Pro by a seller. My company preffers to use Windows 10, is it legaly clear to install Windows 10 Pro in these computers once again ?...
  6. Problems with new PC, Win 10 Pro

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problems with new PC, Win 10 Pro: New Dell Inspiron 3580 with Win 10 Pro. 2004, Build 19041.388 I have two disks that are marked (BitLocker Encrypted). The first is Disk 0 with only Win 10 (C:) (KBG40ZNS128G NVMe LIOXIA) The second is Disk 1 which is a 1TB inclosed HD. (Toshiba MQ04ABF100) I want to...
  7. Building a new PC, can I use my Win 8.1 key to activate Win 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Building a new PC, can I use my Win 8.1 key to activate Win 10?: I have this PC I am using right now and has Windows 8.1 installed, but I am giving that PC away to my sister and I am building a new PC in a week and I am wondering if I HAVE to buy Windows 10, or if I can use my Windows 8.1 key even tho it is in use. submitted by...
  8. Concerning Win 10 Pro, a new build, and movement of - or

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Concerning Win 10 Pro, a new build, and movement of - or: 2 months used now: New build by me - build experience: prior - 32 GB RAM (highest rated and approved by ASUS)- Intel i3-7100 - Asus Prime Z270-A - 850 w PS - NVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti GPU - Licensed Windows 10 Pro 3 main issues that do not work properly, no matter my study...
  9. Can I upgrade OEM win 10 home to Pro and then transfer to a new build PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I upgrade OEM win 10 home to Pro and then transfer to a new build PC?: Hi, I bought a laptop 5 years ago which came with win 8.1 OEM installed. I did the free upgrade to win 10 home when this came available. I have built my own PC with new components, but I'm aware that I can't transfer the win 10 home license as it is OEM and linked to the...
  10. NEW BUILD win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NEW BUILD win 10: has microsoft released a new iso for windows 10 today 7124