Windows 10: Built new computer, running unactivated Win10 Home, have Win7 Pro key

Discus and support Built new computer, running unactivated Win10 Home, have Win7 Pro key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was initially thinking of buying a Win10 Home key, but I realized I still have a Win7 Pro key I purchased that I have never upgraded to Win10 and is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LeoBloom, Jan 3, 2018.

1. LeoBloom Win User

Built new computer, running unactivated Win10 Home, have Win7 Pro key

I was initially thinking of buying a Win10 Home key, but I realized I still have a Win7 Pro key I purchased that I have never upgraded to Win10 and is not currently in use.

Two questions

• Can I use the Win7 key to activate Win10 (or is that no longer an option)
    • Will Win10 Home turn into Win10 Pro (assuming I can still use key)

:)

LeoBloom, Jan 3, 2018

2. windows 10 reinstalation and activation

if choose to keep windows 10 pro installed (previously had win7 home) and it remains unactivated (probably cus i didnt hv win 7 pro) what will happen if i leave it unactivated n what happens after 7/27 when the free period is over and win10 pro remains unactivated

MatthewGood, Jan 3, 2018
  3. WIN10 HOME OEM UPGRADE TO WIN 10 PRO

dears, I have bought a new PC coming with an OEM WIN 10 home to replace a crashed PC running on WIN 7 ULTIMATE. can I upgrade the new WIN10 HOME to WIN10 PRO using the WIN7 ULTIMATE license key? thanks.

TonyTongKC, Jan 3, 2018
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You will have to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro first by entering the generic Windows 10 Pro product key. Then you can attempt to activate it with the Windows 7 product key.

If that fails, then you can install Windows 7 on a separate partition, activate it, try to upgrade that to Windows 10 and see if it activates.

NavyLCDR, Jan 3, 2018
  5. LeoBloom Win User
    I heard that the free upgrades from Windows 7 to 10 are over? It is still possible to enter a Win7 key? What would happen if I entered this Pro key into my Windows 10 Home version without using the generic Home to Pro conversion key (since I have heard it was taken out by Fall Creator's Update)?

LeoBloom, Jan 3, 2018
  6. AddRAM Win User
    It won`t activate.

Create a partition, install W10 Pro. See if it will activate with the W7 Pro key.

If it does, you will now have a digital license on that motherboard.

AddRAM, Jan 3, 2018
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    We don't know if the free upgrades are over are not. You can be our experiment! If you enter the Windows 7 Pro key into Windows 10 Home it will just tell you it is not valid.

If you try to activate Windows 10 Pro with the Win 7 pro key and it falls, it might be because the Win 7 key is blocked from online automatic activation. If that is the case, the remedy is to install Windows 7 Pro and activate it using phone activation. Then upgrade that to Windows 10 to get the digital license.

NavyLCDR, Jan 3, 2018
  8. Woody72 Win User

I recently replaced my mobo, CPU and RAM and of course my digitally licensed Windows Pro 64 switched to in-activated. I booked a call from Microsoft fearing the worst (and a sharp punch in the wallet region *cry) but within half an hour a very nice lady in India had provided me with a new Win 10 Pro 64 bit license key and I was activated again *Biggrin. Give them a call, see what happens.

Woody72, Jan 3, 2018
  9. FreeBooter, Jan 3, 2018
  10. Superfly Win User
    Worked for me way back then....

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro Installation Upgrade Tutorials

...not sure if things have changed subsequently.

Keep us informed.

Superfly, Jan 3, 2018
  11. LeoBloom Win User
    Update:

1st attempt: convert Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro using generic key (ends in 3V66T) resulted in error: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

2nd attempt: put Windows 7 Pro key in Windows 10 Home "change key" field resulted in error

3rd attempt: reinstall Windows 10 as Pro and enter Windows 7 Pro Key: Activation SUCCESS!

Thank you all!

LeoBloom, Jan 5, 2018
  12. We are glad to hear your issue has been resolved, thank you for letting us know that all is now well!

FreeBooter, Jan 6, 2018
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    @LeoBloom

Free upgrades from W7 appear to be still working -- it could depend on how old the iso you download from the ms site when creating the media tool.

What you have to do at least ONCE though on the new hardware install W7 and make sure it's activated -- don't bother installing everything you had on W7 - you just need to get an activated version of W7 on the new hardware so the activation servers when you install W10 can create a digital licence for the new system.

If W7 won't activate on the new hardware (it should if it's a RETAIL version) just activate by phone - that's usually a 100% quick and painless task to do. Then after installation take a backup - just in case you need to do the exercise again or something goes horribly wrong with W10 install. You can use FREE MACRIUM for quick backup.

Sometimes you'll find W10 HOME is installed by default -- the store will upgrade this free to W10 PRO if your original W7 was PRO or above.

You can "Fix" the W10 install to prompt for which W10 version you want to install -- search for it on the forms --it involves extracting the .ISO file and adding a small text file called ei.cfg

Can't remember the link but it's somewhere on the Forum.

Note it won't work (usually) if you simply enter the old W7 key on the new hardware without W7 being activated first. You can try but since a quick W7 install only takes around 10 mins why bother to take the risk. Note Don't bother with any extra drivers etc - simply do a base install activate and exit. Then you can do your W10 install.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 6, 2018
  14. LeoBloom Win User
    Thanks jimbo -- I have already activated my Windows 10 Pro digital license, but I did not mention that the W7 key I used was activated at least once in the past (on a different computer), so good thing to note for whoever else is reading this thread trying to do the same thing

LeoBloom, Jan 6, 2018
  15. AddRAM Win User
    Glad you got it going *Biggrin Good job !!

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Built new computer, running unactivated Win10 Home, have Win7 Pro key - Similar Threads - Built computer running

2. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  3. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  4. updating win7 home to win10 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    updating win7 home to win10 pro: Acer Aspire 5560 laptop.On my win10 desktop, I run MediaCreationTool22H2.exe to a clean 64Gb USB Data Key using all defaults and it makes it bootable. On the laptop, I boot with the USB drive inserted but I get a message saying it can't update this way. I must first boot into...
  5. updating win7 home to win10 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    updating win7 home to win10 pro: Acer Aspire 5560 laptop.On my win10 desktop, I run MediaCreationTool22H2.exe to a clean 64Gb USB Data Key using all defaults and it makes it bootable. On the laptop, I boot with the USB drive inserted but I get a message saying it can't update this way. I must first boot into...
  6. updating win7 home to win10 pro

7. Win7 to Win10 on new hardware and a lost Win10 key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 to Win10 on new hardware and a lost Win10 key: Hey folks. Sorry if this has been answered before but I've been scrounging around online on and off for the last week and not found the answer to my specific question so here goes: I have a retail license for Windows 7 Home Premium which was installed on a old PC where I...
  8. Win7 home->Win10 home->Win10 Pro with retail key?

Win7 home->Win10 home->Win10 Pro with retail key?: I have a PC that started at Win7 home OEM. It was free upgraded to Win10 home. I purchased a win10 pro retail key. If I use the key, will I end up with a Win10 pro retail? There are benefits to having retail versions....
  9. WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro: I have been following the thread entitled "Windows 7 - what should we do after January 2020" which was started by Windower7 in April 2019 and still going. Up until a week ago I had decided to keep WIN7 for a few more years. I had a new computer, custom built in October 2016,...
  10. WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    WIN10 Home - Installing as virtual machine on PC running WIN7 Pro: I have been following the thread entitled "Windows 7 - what should we do after January 2020" which was started by Windower7 in April 2019 and still going. Up until a week ago I had decided to keep WIN7 for a few more years. I had a new computer, custom built in October 2016,...