Windows 10: Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Here's an FYI. Upgraded Win 10 Home to Pro with a Win 7 Pro retail key. Surprisingly enough, Win 10 Home accepted the Win 7 key in the "Change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Superfly, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Superfly Win User

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Here's an FYI.

Upgraded Win 10 Home to Pro with a Win 7 Pro retail key.

Surprisingly enough, Win 10 Home accepted the Win 7 key in the "Change product key" dialog, and proceeded to upgrade to Win 10 Pro.

Once done, it went online and activated the Pro install with a digital licence automatically.

Now, how geeky-licious is that? *Wink

:)

Superfly, Oct 17, 2016

2. product key and Windows 10 upgrade

No, but you could upgrade to Windows 10 home, then buy the Pro add-on so you can upgrade. Normally Windows 10 Pro costs $199, but if you already have Windows 10 Home edition, you can upgrade to Pro edition for only $99 instead (which is the same cost
    as upgrading Windows 7 home to 7 pro). See "How to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro".

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Oct 17, 2016
  3. How to upgrade from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Pro?

Really? It is free to upgrade Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home, then $90 to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro. But $199 to upgrade Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Pro? Am I reading that right?

Paul from NZ, Oct 17, 2016
  4. b303487 Win User

Hello

Thanks for the useful guide.

I would like to install Windows 10 Pro on a device that appears to be only available for purchase with Windows 10 Home installed. The devices that I am looking at are listed below:

- HP Spectre X360 15: http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Pr...pt=ABU&sel=NTB
    - Lenovo Yoga 720 15: Shopping basket | Lenovo UK

Would the guide listed here work with these devices? are there any hardware requirements to allow a successful upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Ali

b303487, Aug 10, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Ali, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You shouldn't have any issues upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro on those PCs.

If you like, there's often an option to customize your PC order to select which Windows 10 (Home or Pro) you want preinstalled on it.

Brink, Aug 10, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    I even upgraded my Linx 8 32bit Atom tablet to Pro without any issues.

cereberus, Aug 10, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Aug 10, 2017
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there.
    @Brink

Tried clean installing again .

Thanks for the instructions --but :

Whatever I did it wanted to charge a Credit card 121 EUR -- however when I entered product key of BOLL----- and hit enter it then went to the upgrade screen and nothing taken off Credit card(s).

I never gave Credit card numbers either.

What a Dogs dinner !!!

Anyway thanks --all working now with clean installs.

Looks like the magic word is that one which starts with BOLL* and means "Little Round Objects" so somebody in Ms is on the same wavelength as me !!!!!!.

All fixed so solution solved -- enter BOLL at enter product key in the first group of characters if you already have a digital licence !!!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 19, 2017
  9. Tsxy Win User
    At step 5, OEM "product keys will not be accepted" It must be a retail key. This is not entirely true. If you try to upgrade from Windows 10 home(oem) and enter VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T it will reject it (error 0xC004F050 I believe). However if you unplug your network cable at step 6, then press Start, it will proceed to upgrade to Windows 10 pro. Once your pc has restarted you can then enter your own Windows 10 professional key. This saves you from having to do a complete re-install with a modified ei.cfg etc. (This was tested on a fully up to date Windows 10 home system)

Tsxy, Jan 3, 2018
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you for sharing Tsxy, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Jan 3, 2018
  11. Macco26 Win User
    Now that I have the PC I can say that with FCU+ the process is even faster and simple.

I went into Settings, put my Windows 8 Pro retail key and after a couple seconds it said it was ready to install the Upgrade, Next or Cancel.
    So it will accept a Win8 Key to upgrade straight from the Windows FCU Settings. This key has never be seen by this PC. It was used for an old machine I discarded.

I have stopped the process for now beause I'll wait the end of the returning period for the new machine. If everything is ok, I'll press that Next key and proceed to Upgrade.

Macco26, Apr 4, 2018
  12. Macco26 Win User
    I have to reopen this thread to politely ask if anything has changed for Fall / Spring Creators behavior.

I soon will have delivered a Win10 Home OEM All-in-one PC.
    I also have a (now unused) Win8 Pro Retail key which previously I had used for upgrading to Win10 another PC which now I have sold (formatted back with genuine Win7 only before). Unwisely I removed that sold device from my MSA so the activation troubleshoot route won't be available.

So, what it counts: now the Win8 Pro Retail key is back to be available.

Is the following still applicable for Fall Creators / Spring Creators?
    To upgrade from Windows 10 Home if you have a Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8.1 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro Pack product key, enter the generic key below. This key will upgrade your device to Windows 10 Pro, but will not activate it.

(Windows 10 Pro)
    *ArrowVK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Will it work automatically? Only by unplugging the internet cable? Will it might work by simply input straight the Win8 Pro retail license key?
    I'd hate to screw a fresh OEM installation with an half working state: upgraded to Pro but unwilling to activate. I think it will come with FCU, soon after being upgraded automatically in the coming days.

Thanks for let me know.
    Cheers.

Macco26, Apr 8, 2018
  13. cereberus Win User

I am afraid the generic key no longer works if pc has not been previously upgraded to PRO or you do not have a valid Windows 10 licence. I am not sure if you can use a 7/8 key to do upgrade. However, you can clean install 10 PRO as a dual boot option, and activate it and use 7/8 key to activate it. Then you can upgrade Home using generic key as it will detect a digital licence.

cereberus, Apr 8, 2018
  14. Macco26 Win User
    Uhm, thanks for the suggestion: That "second partition option install" could work, theoretically. Just keeping first safe until the end of the process without risking anything.

Still curious if they have implemented straight Win8 key input in the settings for FCU/SCU (anyone?)

If not, have anyone any additional ideas with something like command line options doing the same as the quoted part of this OP?
    Still working with FCU/SCU, of course?

For example: would THIS command still work? WAN connected?

Macco26, Apr 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Upgrade Home Pro

2. windows 10 home to pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 home to pro upgrade: hi I tried upgrading using the default key before changing to a valid key. but it seeps that I keep hitting 80070057 error I have tried dism, sfc scannow, update troubleshoot etc etc. up to no avail... "Something interrupted our troubleshooting.Make sure that you're...
  3. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro: I am setting up to upgrade my Windows 10 Home to the Pro version and understand how to purchase my upgrade from the Microsoft Store.. Due to my limit of internet download to 20 GB I have my internet connection set to - metered ON. Will this affect my upgrade and activation of...
  4. Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro: Howdy All *Cool - My new laptop* came with Windows 10 Home installed; pretty standard I believe. I've heard I can upgrade to Pro with an old Windows 7 Pro Key and I've reviewed some steps online. History has told me to check with you folks before making any major changes. -...
  5. Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade

Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade: I mistakenly upgraded to the Pro version from windows 10 Home which came installed on my Asus laptop without verifying that Home had been activated. Now Microsoft doesn't recognize the digital license which I got when I bought Pro. What should I do?...
  6. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro: I purchased a Dell Inspiron laptop a few months ago and it came with Win 10 Home. I need Win 10 Pro for work applications. We have a subscription to MS Action Pack, so I downloaded Win 10 Pro and thought I could just run it - I agreed to have it overwrite anything on the...
  7. Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade...

Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade...: Hi I have been thinking of upgrading my current Home version of Windows 10 to the Pro version, just to get a little more control over updates, do you think the upgrade is worth the £120 that they want via the Windows Store? I would only buy a 100% GENUINE upgrade even...
  8. Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro

Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro: Has Microsoft released the software to upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro. I haven't been able to find it 7028
  9. Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro?

Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro?: I've just seen a deal to get Windows 10 Pro fairly cheaply. My laptop has Windows 10 Home and I'd be interested in upgrading it to Pro for the remote assistance features of Pro. My question is, if I buy the Pro version (which is the download and an OEM key), can I upgrade my...
  10. Upgrading windows 10 home to pro

Upgrading windows 10 home to pro: I upgraded my desktop PC from windows 7 home to windows 10 home 1511. Everything went well and windows 10 home is running fine. Now I would like to upgrade to windows 10 pro. I have a valid windows 7 ultimate key. I found a post that explained how to upgrade to windows 10...