Windows 10: Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro How to Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro features to Windows. This tutorial will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Superfly, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Superfly Win User

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

How to: Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

How to Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

features to Windows.

This tutorial will show you how to quickly upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro without losing anything.

You must be signed in as an administrator to upgrade your edition of Windows.

To upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, you'll need either a digital license or a valid product key:
    • A digital license for Windows 10 Pro for the device you're upgrading. You'll have a digital license if Windows 10 Pro was already installed and activated on your device.
    • A valid Windows 10 Pro product key.
    • A valid Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8.1 Pro product key (including Windows 8 Pro Pack and Windows 8.1 Pro Pack product keys).
    • A valid Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Professional product key.
    Compare Features Between Windows 10 Editions

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. In your Windows 10 Home PC, open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & Security icon.

2. Do step 3 (purchase) or step 4 (enter key) below for how you would like to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

3. To Purchase Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft Store and Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro
    A) Click/tap on Activation on the left side, and click/tap on the Go to the Store link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on the Buy button for $99.00 (US). (see screenshot below)

C) Enter your password or PIN to confirm it's you. (see screenshot below)

D) Follow the rest of the onscreen instructions to buy Windows 10 Pro. (see screenshot below)

E) When finished purchasing Windows 10 Pro, go to step 5 below.

4. To Enter a Product Key and Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro
    A) Click/tap on Activation on the left side, and click/tap on the Change product key link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

C) Enter your Windows 10 Pro step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

Note OEM product keys will not be accepted. It must be a retail key.

If you already installed and activated Windows 10 Pro on your device, you'll have a digital entitlement that allows you to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro without using a product key.

If you have a digital entitlement for Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 10 Home is currently activated on your device, you'll be prompted to start the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free.

If you have a digital entitlement for Windows 10 Pro, but Windows 10 Home isn't activated on your device, you can either choose to buy Windows 10 Home or upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free.

To upgrade from Windows 10 Home if you have a Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8.1 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro Pack product key, enter the generic key below. This key will upgrade your device to Windows 10 Pro, but will not activate it.

(Windows 10 Pro)
    *Arrow VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

OR

(Windows 10 Pro N)
    *Arrow 2B87N-8KFHP-DKV6R-Y2C8J-PKCKT

After your device is upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, you'll need to activate Windows with your Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8.1 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro Pack product key.

5. Click/tap on Start to begin. (see screenshot below)

6. Windows will now start preparing for upgrade. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished preparing, your Windows will automatically restart and start upgrading to Windows 10 Pro. (see screenshots below)

8. When finished upgrading, sign back in to your account, and click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

9. Enjoy Windows 10 Pro.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Superfly, Oct 17, 2016

2. product key and Windows 10 upgrade

No, but you could upgrade to Windows 10 home, then buy the Pro add-on so you can upgrade. Normally Windows 10 Pro costs $199, but if you already have Windows 10 Home edition, you can upgrade to Pro edition for only $99 instead (which is the same cost
    as upgrading Windows 7 home to 7 pro). See "How to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro".

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Oct 17, 2016
  3. How to upgrade from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Pro?

Really? It is free to upgrade Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home, then $90 to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro. But $199 to upgrade Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Pro? Am I reading that right?

Paul from NZ, Oct 17, 2016
  4. b303487 Win User

Hello

Thanks for the useful guide.

I would like to install Windows 10 Pro on a device that appears to be only available for purchase with Windows 10 Home installed. The devices that I am looking at are listed below:

- HP Spectre X360 15: http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Pr...pt=ABU&sel=NTB
    - Lenovo Yoga 720 15: Shopping basket | Lenovo UK

Would the guide listed here work with these devices? are there any hardware requirements to allow a successful upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Ali

b303487, Aug 10, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Ali, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You shouldn't have any issues upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro on those PCs.

If you like, there's often an option to customize your PC order to select which Windows 10 (Home or Pro) you want preinstalled on it.

Brink, Aug 10, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    I even upgraded my Linx 8 32bit Atom tablet to Pro without any issues.

cereberus, Aug 10, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Aug 10, 2017
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there.
    @Brink

Tried clean installing again .

Thanks for the instructions --but :

Whatever I did it wanted to charge a Credit card 121 EUR -- however when I entered product key of BOLL----- and hit enter it then went to the upgrade screen and nothing taken off Credit card(s).

I never gave Credit card numbers either.

What a Dogs dinner !!!

Anyway thanks --all working now with clean installs.

Looks like the magic word is that one which starts with BOLL* and means "Little Round Objects" so somebody in Ms is on the same wavelength as me !!!!!!.

All fixed so solution solved -- enter BOLL at enter product key in the first group of characters if you already have a digital licence !!!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 19, 2017
  9. Tsxy Win User
    At step 5, OEM "product keys will not be accepted" It must be a retail key. This is not entirely true. If you try to upgrade from Windows 10 home(oem) and enter VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T it will reject it (error 0xC004F050 I believe). However if you unplug your network cable at step 6, then press Start, it will proceed to upgrade to Windows 10 pro. Once your pc has restarted you can then enter your own Windows 10 professional key. This saves you from having to do a complete re-install with a modified ei.cfg etc. (This was tested on a fully up to date Windows 10 home system)

Tsxy, Jan 3, 2018
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you for sharing Tsxy, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Jan 3, 2018
  11. Macco26 Win User
    Now that I have the PC I can say that with FCU+ the process is even faster and simple.

I went into Settings, put my Windows 8 Pro retail key and after a couple seconds it said it was ready to install the Upgrade, Next or Cancel.
    So it will accept a Win8 Key to upgrade straight from the Windows FCU Settings. This key has never be seen by this PC. It was used for an old machine I discarded.

I have stopped the process for now beause I'll wait the end of the returning period for the new machine. If everything is ok, I'll press that Next key and proceed to Upgrade.

Macco26, Apr 4, 2018
  12. Macco26 Win User
    I have to reopen this thread to politely ask if anything has changed for Fall / Spring Creators behavior.

I soon will have delivered a Win10 Home OEM All-in-one PC.
    I also have a (now unused) Win8 Pro Retail key which previously I had used for upgrading to Win10 another PC which now I have sold (formatted back with genuine Win7 only before). Unwisely I removed that sold device from my MSA so the activation troubleshoot route won't be available.

So, what it counts: now the Win8 Pro Retail key is back to be available.

Is the following still applicable for Fall Creators / Spring Creators?
    To upgrade from Windows 10 Home if you have a Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8.1 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro Pack product key, enter the generic key below. This key will upgrade your device to Windows 10 Pro, but will not activate it.

(Windows 10 Pro)
    *ArrowVK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Will it work automatically? Only by unplugging the internet cable? Will it might work by simply input straight the Win8 Pro retail license key?
    I'd hate to screw a fresh OEM installation with an half working state: upgraded to Pro but unwilling to activate. I think it will come with FCU, soon after being upgraded automatically in the coming days.

Thanks for let me know.
    Cheers.

Macco26, Apr 8, 2018
  13. cereberus Win User

I am afraid the generic key no longer works if pc has not been previously upgraded to PRO or you do not have a valid Windows 10 licence. I am not sure if you can use a 7/8 key to do upgrade. However, you can clean install 10 PRO as a dual boot option, and activate it and use 7/8 key to activate it. Then you can upgrade Home using generic key as it will detect a digital licence.

cereberus, Apr 8, 2018
  14. Macco26 Win User
    Uhm, thanks for the suggestion: That "second partition option install" could work, theoretically. Just keeping first safe until the end of the process without risking anything.

Still curious if they have implemented straight Win8 key input in the settings for FCU/SCU (anyone?)

If not, have anyone any additional ideas with something like command line options doing the same as the quoted part of this OP?
    Still working with FCU/SCU, of course?

For example: would THIS command still work? WAN connected?

Macco26, Apr 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Upgrade Home Pro

2. Upgrading windows 10 home to Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading windows 10 home to Pro: I have hp notebook 15 ay122ne laptop running pre-installed genuine windows 10 home, so i want to upgrade windows 10 home to windows 10 Pro. i checked upgrading through microsoft store and it cost around Rs. 8k, so its bit expensive for me to do that, also my laptop is around...
  3. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro: Hi. Hope someone can help/advise. I have recently bought a new computer with Windows 10 Home installed and want to upgrade it to Pro. I have a paid-for copy of Windows 7 Pro which was installed on an my previous computer, which was then upgraded to Windows 10. This licence...
  4. Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade: I upgraded from Windows 10 home to Pro on 3/27/19 on a new Asus computer. That Asus has now fried the mother board and I would like to use the upgrade to Pro on my new Dell. Is this possible? I am not fixing the Asus due to the cost of the motherboard. Thanks....
  5. Windows 10 Home upgrade to Pro

Windows 10 Home upgrade to Pro: I just bought a new laptop. Came with Windows 10 Home. I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Went to Microsoft Store and purchase Window 10 Pro upgrade. After purchasing it and install. Windows try to Active but it can't. I know that Windows 10 Home was Activate before...
  6. Upgrade windows 10 Home to Pro

Upgrade windows 10 Home to Pro: I am trying to upgrade my Windows 10 from Home to Pro Edition. I have a product key. When I go to update the Activation asks for a series of 6 digit numbers. My product key is all 5 digit numbers. I had it on a laptop that is no longer usable. How do I activate this ?...
  7. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro: Hello! I've thinking to create a Active Director to control ~30 Windows machines. But all these machines are Windows Home (OEM). Can I upgrade all of them to Windows Pro in my company using Windows Store? Or need I to contact some Microsoft Business Center? Thanks in...
  8. Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade: We have some computers at work that have Windows 10 Home and we're wanting to upgrade them to Windows 10 Pro, so I went to the Windows Store and clicked the "Buy" button, which then asks for my Store login. I tried using my Office 365 account we have at work, but apparently...
  9. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro: I am setting up to upgrade my Windows 10 Home to the Pro version and understand how to purchase my upgrade from the Microsoft Store.. Due to my limit of internet download to 20 GB I have my internet connection set to - metered ON. Will this affect my upgrade and activation of...
  10. Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade: I mistakenly upgraded to the Pro version from windows 10 Home which came installed on my Asus laptop without verifying that Home had been activated. Now Microsoft doesn't recognize the digital license which I got when I bought Pro. What should I do?...