Windows 10: Calculator doesn't initiate.

Discus and support Calculator doesn't initiate. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; After an update my calculator fails to initiate. When I double-click the app it shows on the desktop for about half a second as a shadow but disappears... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by smerH, Jan 7, 2016.

1. smerH Win User

Calculator doesn't initiate.

After an update my calculator fails to initiate. When I double-click the app it shows on the desktop for about half a second as a shadow but disappears in an instant. I've rolled back the update but it didn't solve the problem. So now I am trying to uninstall it in order to upload the new one (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...r/9wzdncrfhvn5 ) but I've got this message in my Windows Powershell:

Calculator doesn't initiate. [​IMG]

What's going on and how can I fix that?
    Thanks in advance.

:)

smerH, Jan 7, 2016

2. Windows 10 - Default programs missing (Store, Calculator...)

Many Items...Start, Store, Search, Volume, Notifications, Calculator...were OK upon initial w10 install but quit working, and Calculator DISAPPEARED!

JimRidgeway, Jan 7, 2016
  3. "Route not found" error

This is very poor. I've had the problem in supermarket carparks, and it's often not realistic to drive onto the public highway and then stop, fiddle with the phone while it calculates the route, and then move off.

What confuses me is why the error doesn't occur when going online Surely the calculation method is the same?

Bonjourdel - I don't think the initial data usage when the route is being calculated is that much (it should show you KB in the bottom right corner), but I'm not sure if it keeps on downloading information throughout the journey - is so, long journeys may cause
    high usage.

Monsoon---01, Jan 7, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

That message is saying it doesn't exist.

You could try uninstalling for all users with this from elevated powershell (right click and run as administrator). Code: Get-appxpackage -allusers | where-object {$_.packagename -like "*windowscalculator*"} | remove-appxpackage Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like "*windowscalculator*"} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online[/quote] (from option 3 here)

What does the store say when you try to install it? That it is installed already?

lx07, Jan 7, 2016
  5. smerH Win User
    Yes, hence the problem.

I've tried your solution and it didn't work either:

Also, I can't uninstall it through "Apps & features":

smerH, Jan 7, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    Did you try the other 2 powershell commands?

lx07, Jan 7, 2016
  7. smerH Win User
    I've just tried, see above.

P.S. It looks like "Microsoft Alarms" and "Microsoft People" are screwed up too.

smerH, Jan 7, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

You can't uninstall some apps through Apps and features (and calculator is one of them for some reason) - that is normal.

It isn't normal to have them starting with @ though or having the icon for candy crush soda for the camera app.

I would download Windows 10 ISO and do a repair install - you can keep your programs and files but it will replace your store apps with default. It is the only reliable way of fixing apps I think. You can see here Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

lx07, Jan 7, 2016
  9. smerH Win User
    O.K., thanks. I didn't know it was that bad.
    Should I leave the thread open or have it marked as "Solved"?

smerH, Jan 7, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    The apps to seem to get corrupted like this fairly often (it has happened to me more than once). The repair install seems to be the most reliable fix to me.

It doesn't take too long after downloading an ISO - you just mount the ISO, double click on setup.exe and wait.

It takes about 1/2 or 3/4 hour (rebooting a few times) for me. That isn't too long compared to spending hours and hours running different powershell commands that (in my case) never seem to work.

I'd leave the thread open until it is fixed in case you have more questions.

Good luck *Smile

11. Calculator installed ok from the store tested it and working ok.
    So have you tried running the trouble shooter at all as that might fix your problem

hTconeM9user, Jan 8, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    smerH,
    You mentioned you had "roll back the update".
    I assume you meant you uninstalled that update.
    I would like you you to go one step further.........................
    Providing you do create restore points regularly.
    Do a system restore. Pick a date that is a few dates BEFORE you installed that update. Use that date as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

davidhk, Jan 8, 2016
  13. smerH Win User

When I wast trying to re-upload the Calculator I would get the message that it's already installed on my system, but when I was trying to remove it I would get an error saying that it's nowhere to be found.

No I haven't tried running the Troubleshooter for I had very little expectations that it would be able to fix the problem.

smerH, Jan 8, 2016
  14. smerH Win User
    I've done it, after the rollback didn't solve the problem I just didn't type this in my initial post. Sorry.

As of now, I've downloaded the ISO disk, burned it and have used the "Repair" option on it and it not only fixed the problem I had but also installed properly the latest update which was initially the case of the problem. The only small problem I have right now is that one of the apps that came pre-installed on my laptop is marked "this app isn't working correctly" with the suggetiong of re-installing it, and another one was removed completely because "it doesn't work on this version of Windows". Both apps were very low key so I am not worried too much about them.

The Calculator app is working fine now.

smerH, Jan 8, 2016
  15. lx07 Win User
    A lot of people found various odd little apps were removed by the upgrade to 1511 (speccy comes to mind) with a message they were incompatible but re-installing them after they still worked fine. Depends on the app of course but you could try it if you wanted. If it doesn't work and you do want to fix them let us know what they are - perhaps someone has a solution..

Glad the repair worked anyway *Smile

Thema:

1. Calculator doesn't initiate. - Similar Threads - Calculator doesn't initiate

2. My HDD Doesn't show how much space it contains and doesn't Initialize

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My HDD Doesn't show how much space it contains and doesn't Initialize: I've had this HDD disk, but after a power surge the disk doesn't appear in explorer and when I go to the Disk Management - I don't see how much GB it has and it doesn't let me Initialize, because when I try - It says "The Device is not ready". Any tips? Or should I accept...
  3. HIGH MEMORY USAGE? DOESN'T CALCULATE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HIGH MEMORY USAGE? DOESN'T CALCULATE: This PC is fairly new but I having issues with high memory and a lot of my ram is being used. Here are my specs. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: ASUS® ROG STIX B450-F GAMING RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX FURY RGB 8GB - 3200MHz DDR4 - 2 x 8GB Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce...
  4. Calculator applications doesn't work...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Calculator applications doesn't work...: Why does calculator,calander ..doesn't open in windows 10 operating system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/calculator-applications-doesnt-work/e593400e-5277-4c4c-8593-e246d74e3592
  5. calculator doesn't work anymore after last update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    calculator doesn't work anymore after last update: after the last update i can't open the calculator, for someone who uses it often this is very annoying. edit: version 2004 - kb4586781 was the last update i mentioned submitted by /u/mjklsimpson [link] [comments]...
  6. calculator/mail doesn't work

calculator/mail doesn't work: When I try open calculator or mail or any other application I can see it trying to open for a brief moment but then it closed immediately. what can i do? Easyupload.io - Upload files for free and transfer big files easily. link for the situation 160138
  7. RemoteApp doesn't apply correct scaling initially

RemoteApp doesn't apply correct scaling initially: I have a large app for which we are waiting to configure DPI scaling. Currently, when we launch our app via RemoteApp (RDP,) the text and controls overlap. As a work around for our customers with high DPI displays, we found the best solution is to set...
  8. Winbdows 10 Calculator doesn't launch as the active window

Winbdows 10 Calculator doesn't launch as the active window: When I launch a program from my keyboard like the calculator, it doesn't come to front, and it doesn't make it the active window. so if I quickly want to do a calculation, I launch calculator, then have to close windows to find where it's been buried on the screen, then I...
  9. Windows Doesn't Calculate App Sizes On 1709?

Windows Doesn't Calculate App Sizes On 1709?: Hi. If you click Start, Settings (cog wheel), Apps, you will see a list of installed applications you have on your computer. On the previous Windows version it also told me how big they were. Now, on this Fall Creators Update, it's gone. All of my installed games through...
  10. Stick to initial screen sometimes doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Stick to initial screen sometimes doesn't work: Hi guys. I need a little help. I used to stick my apps on start menu, but after a fresh install sometimes doesn't work. I search app in start menu, right click and stick to initial screen, but sometimes not work, so I have to restart windows to made it work again. Anyone...