Windows 10: System Restore Windows 10

Discus and support System Restore Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: System Restore Windows 10 How to Do a System Restore of Windows 10 system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier point in time,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by f14tomcat, Mar 11, 2015.

1. f14tomcat Win User

System Restore Windows 10

How to: System Restore Windows 10

How to Do a System Restore of Windows 10

system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. This can be handy if your PC isn't working well and you recently installed an app, driver, or update.

Each restore point contains the necessary information needed to restore the system to the chosen state. Restore points are automatically generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and generated when you Restoring wont affect your personal files in your %UserProfile% folder, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was created.

This tutorial will show you how to do a System Restore to restore your Windows 10 back to an earlier point in time.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to perform a System Restore.

When you do a System Restore, system protection will automatically create a restore point before proceeding, so you can undo the changes made by the System Restore if needed.

*Warning If you do a system restore while in undone.

*Warning If you do a system restore from the undone.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Do a System Restore of Windows 10 at Boot
    • Option Two: To Do a System Restore of Windows 10 in Windows 10

OPTION ONE [/i] To Do a System Restore of Windows 10 at Boot
    1. Boot to advanced startup options.

2. Click/tap on Troubleshoot. (see screenshot below)

System Restore Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on Advanced options. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on System Restore. (see screenshot below)

5. If prompted, click/tap on an administrator account you want to provide credentials for. (see screenshot below)

A) Enter the password for this administrator account, and click/tap on Continue. (see screenshot below)

6. If this is your first time doing a System Restore, click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

7. If you had previously done a System Restore, select (dot) Choose a different restore point, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

8. Select a restore point (ex: "System restore test") that you would like to restore Windows back to, and click/tap on the Scan for affected programs button. (see screenshot below)

*note If displayed, check the Show more restore points box at the bottom left corner to be able to see any older restore points (if available) that are not listed.

9. Review what will be affected by using the selected restore point. When finished, click/tap on Close. (see screenshots below)

10. When you are ready to do a System Restore with a selected restore point, click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below step 8)

11. Click/tap on Finish to begin the System Restore. (see screenshot below)

12. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. This is your last chance to cancel the System Restore. (see screenshot below)

13. Your PC will now restart and perform a System Restore. (see screenshots below)

14. When the System Restore has completed successfully, click/tap on Restart. (see screenshot below)

15. When you have signed back in to your desktop, click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Do a System Restore of Windows 10 in Windows 10

*note This option will not be available in Safe mode.
    1. Do step 2, step 3, step 4, step 5 , or step 6 below for how you would like to open System Restore.

2. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type rstrui.exe into Run, click/tap on OK, and go to step 10 below.

3. Open the step 7 below.

4. Open the step 7 below.

5. Open the step 10 below. (see screenshot below)

6. Open the step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on the System protection link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

8. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

9. Click/tap on the System Restore button.. (see screenshot below)

10. If this is your first time doing a System Restore, click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

11. If you had previously done a System Restore, select (dot) Choose a different restore point, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

12. Select a restore point (ex: "System restore test") that you would like to restore Windows back to, and click/tap on the Scan for affected programs button. (see screenshot below)

*note If displayed, check the Show other restore points box at the bottom left corner to be able to see any older restore points (if available) that are not listed.

13. Review what will be affected by using the selected restore point. When finished, click/tap on Close. (see screenshots below)

14. When you are ready to do a System Restore with a selected restore point, click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below step 12)

15. Click/tap on Finish to begin the System Restore. (see screenshot below)

16. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. This is your last chance to cancel the System Restore. (see screenshot below)

17. Your PC will now restart and perform a System Restore. (see screenshots below)

18. When the System Restore has completed successfully and you have signed back in to your desktop, click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

f14tomcat, Mar 11, 2015

2. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 as time passes I find Windows 10 very intrusive to my personal files music and pictures with the new 10 update it seems it will become more intrusive.

When I upgraded to 10 I had to sign in as a new user with a different password from Win 7. I lost my Win 7 password. Widows 10 has moved all my music files and picture files. My back up is stored off site and system restore back to a previous time I assume
    is using my old 7 password and my user/computer name for security thus disallowing access to those files. How do I find my old password while using Windows 10 because I would like to go back to Win 7. I am not a gamer and it seems Win 10 and the anniversary
    update are targeted toward multiple computer gamer use. I do have a system repair disc from Win 7.

John M system restore, Mar 11, 2015
  3. Shenan Stanley, Mar 11, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey Dick,

So far System Restore has worked well for me on my build 9926 installation.

If you haven't already, you might consider either to refresh or reset Windows 10 to see how it performs afterwards. *Sad

Brink, Mar 11, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    Hey Shawn, how did you get a couple classic windows in there? (Option One, Steps 13 and 14)
    All the rest are Metro windows!?

Edwin, Mar 11, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Edwin,

That's just what it had when I was doing a System Restore in a VM to get the screenshots. I was shocked that they were classic at boot at well, but were modern when starting in from within Windows 10. It may all be modern by the time it's RTM though.

Brink, Mar 11, 2015
  7. One thing I have found though, that might also pertain to another thread about Restore Points not working.....

I can never do a System Restore with my AVG Anti-Virus program running. It's very easy to disable though....
    just a quick right click on the system tray icon, gives me a little menu, where I can temporarily disable AVG, and then I can do a System Restore without any problem.

Some other programs that can screw up a System Restore, may not be so easily disabled.

Just a thought!

*Cool

TechnoMage, Mar 13, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you Wayne for posting back with your findings. It'll sure to help others using AVG. *Smile

Brink, Mar 13, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    I have not been successful restoring from a Restore Point without numerous glitches setting in. I've tried maybe 5 or 6.

Edwin, Mar 13, 2015
  10. very useful guide..many thanks Shawn.

onlytanmoy, Aug 11, 2015
  11. Csquared Win User
    Thanx for this tutorial...have done system restore twice, worked like a charm. Perhaps I should curb my "let's run this up the flag pole and see how it flies" attitude and just wait.

Csquared, Aug 14, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Nar, have fun with it. Just keep good backups though. *Wink

Brink, Aug 14, 2015
  13. LIO
    Lio Win User

Hey Shawn,
    nice to meet you again *Smile
    from Vista through Seven, Eight and now Ten forum: every time I look for your forum.

Many questions, the first one is: how to change the system restore location.
    Always I move the download, documents, music folders, the system restore folder, the File history folder, the InetCache and, last one, windows.edb file.
    I have a scratch partition for all the really big file (like system restore, backup, search edb, history), one SSD partition for only the files I use more and another one for all the data storage.
    I've already moved the system folder downloads, documents, pictures and music, but when I was going to System restore do relocate the System restore folder, I saw I can configure this relocation via Windows.
    Can you explain me how to move this without create problem to the new installed win 10.
    And, if you can tell me the same process for the edb file and history, I will be eternally grateful *Smile

In win 8 I did a big mess moving the whole User folder and then it was impossible to upgrade to win 8.1. So this time I'll wait for step by step tutorial to avoid another big mess *Smile

Thanks so much.

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 26, 2015
  15. Molyy Win User
    the rollback is stuck on scanning and repairing drive 71% complete in VM. used the bootable disc created with easesu todo backup to restore to the old point

Molyy, Aug 26, 2015
Thema:

1. System Restore Windows 10 - Similar Threads - System Restore

2. Cut and paste program files from C to D drive. Things went haywire. Did a system restore,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cut and paste program files from C to D drive. Things went haywire. Did a system restore,...: Hi,My son ran out of space on his computer so he cut and paste all of his files from C drive to D drive. Things starting being wonky. He realized his error. We researched a solution and so he did a complete system restore, deleting all of his personal files. After the...
  3. Cut and paste program files from C to D drive. Things went haywire. Did a system restore,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cut and paste program files from C to D drive. Things went haywire. Did a system restore,...: Hi,My son ran out of space on his computer so he cut and paste all of his files from C drive to D drive. Things starting being wonky. He realized his error. We researched a solution and so he did a complete system restore, deleting all of his personal files. After the...
  4. I cannot download or install any games/apps chrome or software after preforming system restore.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot download or install any games/apps chrome or software after preforming system restore.: Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 22H2Installed on ‎15/‎01/‎2022OS build 19045.4046Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0I cannot download or install any games/apps chrome or software after preforming system restore.Its as if the OS is blocking me entirely....
  5. I cannot download or install any games/apps chrome or software after preforming system restore.

I cannot download or install any games/apps chrome or software after preforming system restore.: Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 22H2Installed on ‎15/‎01/‎2022OS build 19045.4046Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0I cannot download or install any games/apps chrome or software after preforming system restore.Its as if the OS is blocking me entirely....
  6. System restore partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore partition: I'm going to delete the default partition table on an old Surface Pro see first image.Now, there are six partitions and the last one /dev/sda6 should be the one to save if I want to restore factory settings see second image.Link to images: https://imgur.com/a/vjfTZdLI can...
  7. System restore partition

System restore partition: I'm going to delete the default partition table on an old Surface Pro see first image.Now, there are six partitions and the last one /dev/sda6 should be the one to save if I want to restore factory settings see second image.Link to images: https://imgur.com/a/vjfTZdLI can...
  8. System restore partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. I am trying to do a system restore. I have the key but my keyboard is not working. How do I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am trying to do a system restore. I have the key but my keyboard is not working. How do I...: My keyboard was not working. I tried to do a system restore. I inadvertently depressed a key which stopped the restore. Got a black screen. Trying to do a restore once more. Got restore key but cannot enter the number as keyboard is not working. How do I enter the key number....
  10. I am trying to do a system restore. I have the key but my keyboard is not working. How do I...

I am trying to do a system restore. I have the key but my keyboard is not working. How do I...: My keyboard was not working. I tried to do a system restore. I inadvertently depressed a key which stopped the restore. Got a black screen. Trying to do a restore once more. Got restore key but cannot enter the number as keyboard is not working. How do I enter the key number....