Windows 10: can I upgrade both my desktop (win 7 64 bit) and my laptop (win 7 32)?

Discus and support can I upgrade both my desktop (win 7 64 bit) and my laptop (win 7 32)? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; May have been answered previously but search didn't find. If so - sorry! Have 2 computers -a desktop (64 bit) and a laptop (32 bit) - both Win 7 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RAPw10, Aug 26, 2015.

1. RAPw10 Win User

can I upgrade both my desktop (win 7 64 bit) and my laptop (win 7 32)?

May have been answered previously but search didn't find. If so - sorry!

Have 2 computers -a desktop (64 bit) and a laptop (32 bit) - both Win 7 Pro Sp1. Can I upgrade each to the appropriate Win 10 (IE 64 to 64 and 32 to 32)?

Only use laptop when on vacation ... use desktop daily.

:)

RAPw10, Aug 26, 2015
  2. MiguelFed Win User

Upgraded from Win 7 64 bit to Win 10 - was Win 10 64 bit automatic?

Please somebody help me out. I had Win 64 bit on my PC. It worked much smoother and faster than Win 7 32 bit. I later upgraded to Win 10; however, I was not given an option of 32 or 64 bit. Was it automatic? I think my sys is 32 bit. I also deleted
    files enabling me to revert to Win 7 64 easily. If I have Win 10 32 bit, can I convert or upgrade to 64 bit? If so, do I need to revert back to 7 64 bit first or reinstall 7 64 back to get extra files I deleted first? Please inform.

Thanx, Miguel

MiguelFed, Aug 26, 2015
  3. CliveBiss Win User
    Win 10 upgrade on a Win 7 and Win 8.1 multi boot system

I have a system that multi boots into win 7 or win 8.1. Why ? Well win 7 is 32 bit and win 8.1 is 64 bit and I was going to slowly set up the 8.1 system to mirror the programs on the 32 bit Win 7 install as there is no automatic 32 to 64 bit migration path.
    Both have genuine Win 7 and Win 8.1 licences. I delayed the 8.1 upgrade as Win 10 was coming.

Can I upgrade the Win 8.1 install to win 10 and keep the multi boot options as Win 7 and Win 10 or will the win 10 upgrade kill the current multi boot configuration.

Any advice appreciated

CliveBiss, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello RAPw10, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If the laptop and desktop are activated with two separate product keys, then yes. Otherwise, they are violating the EULA and both are in risk of being deactivated since a product key is only supposed to be activated on one installation at the same time.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html

Brink, Aug 26, 2015
  5. Molyy Win User
    Don't get why not upgrade to Win 10 on both. It has been working fine to me so far. easy to use just like Win 7.

Molyy, Aug 26, 2015
  6. RAPw10 Win User
    OK - Thanks ... think diff keys ... both purchased (separately) with Win 7 installed. Is there utility to display Win key ? (is key in Register - location?)

Confused: do WANT TO UPGRADE BOTH

RAPw10, Aug 26, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 26, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Showkey will show you all the Microsoft keys on your computers. Google tenforums showkey to find the thread to download it

NavyLCDR, Aug 26, 2015
  9. RAPw10 Win User
    Thank you for the 'showkey' tip.

I believe I've misled people ... I HAVEN'T installed Win 10 yet (not on either computer) !

Confused by Brink's first response - in the 'Product Key' tutorial there is a note at the beginning that says:
    Both my PC's (desktop and laptop) are registered - both were purchased via Dell (at diff times) and I have activated each via MS ... so, based on the first response, I believe the ans to my initial question is that both PC's can be upgraded (technically and legally).

I expect to wait a few months - Win 7 is working fine now ... and there will probably be Win 10/MS snafu's which will be patched.

RAPw10, Aug 26, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Na, I knew you haven't yet, and was just asking. *Smile

That quote is only if you had upgraded to Windows 10 for the free offer on say an activated Windows 7 PC.

The free offer Windows 10 doesn't have a product key since you upgraded from say Windows 7. Instead the PC gets registered on Microsoft activation servers to have Windows 10 automatically activated whenever installed in the future on that specific PC.

It'll show your key for Windows 7 when used in Windows 7.

Brink, Aug 26, 2015
  11. Word Man Win User
    Once you do the free upgrade to Windows 10 (Pro actually in your case), your hardware is recorded as a hashID on Microsoft Activation server and there is no Product Key (other than a generic one you can look up and publically know) per se (unless you buy a retail full version of Windows 10). You can supposedly make hardware, changes to your machine, short of upgrading the motherboard and the server will still recognize your system as duly activated.

Appears you understand the key question's answer, hope the above helps unconfuse some. Don't blame you for waiting a bit. I did it just to escape from Windows 8.

EDIT: Well dang, Brink answered already, as I serenely sat here fat-fingering my own response.*092

Word Man, Aug 26, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. can I upgrade both my desktop (win 7 64 bit) and my laptop (win 7 32)? - Similar Threads - upgrade both desktop

2. Win 10 32-bit to 64-bit

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 32-bit to 64-bit: Hello, I recently upgraded my old Dell Optiplex 390 pc I had laying around. I started with updating to Windows 10 then added some more RAM to the system. Unfortunately i'm running on the 32 bit OS and it cannot use the extra 5 RAM i added to it and its currently being used as...
  3. Upgrade install from Win-7 32-bit, to Win-10 64-bit Problems...?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade install from Win-7 32-bit, to Win-10 64-bit Problems...?: Last November I upgraded from Win-7 32-bit, to Win-10 64-bit. I have been plagued with weird issues..., that mostly were mostly un-fixable by this forum. Last Tuesday my Windows Updates were Optional, and they took two days to complete. Should I have done a Clean Install?...
  4. Upgrade from Win 10 32 bit to 64 bit?

Upgrade from Win 10 32 bit to 64 bit?: Had to use Win 10 32 bit for a couple of apps that did not "like" 64 bit environment. Have found replacement software, so would like to go to 64 bit. How do I do it?...
  5. Win 10 64-bit to 32-bit

Win 10 64-bit to 32-bit: I have Win 10 64-bit but some older programs won't work on it. The maker of the programs have abandoned them so I can't go back for updated versions. I've tried the compatibility mode, etc. I'm thinking I might solve the problem by installing the Win 10 32-bit version. I...
  6. Dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 both 64 bit

Dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 both 64 bit: Though this question has been put up many times earlier but one thing is not clear. I have independently installed Win 7 and Win 10 on separate hard disks. When I installed Win 7, the Win 10 hard disk was not attached. In the same way when I installed Win 10, the Win 7 hard...
  7. create macrium rescue media for win 7 32 bit from win 10 64 bit pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    create macrium rescue media for win 7 32 bit from win 10 64 bit pc: I have Win 10 PC 64 bit having Macrium installed. I want to create a macrium rescue media which could work on my friends Win 7 32 bit PC. Pl advise. 83926
  8. Upgrade from 32 bit win 7 to 64 bit win10

Upgrade from 32 bit win 7 to 64 bit win10: When I upgrade my 32 bit win 7 computer to win 10 can I choose to upgrade to 64 bit win 10? 56098
  9. How to Repair ONLY Win 7 in dual-boot Win 7 and 10 PC? Both Pro 64-bit

How to Repair ONLY Win 7 in dual-boot Win 7 and 10 PC? Both Pro 64-bit: I have a nice PC that dual-boots Win 7 Pro 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit. I'd like to do a "non-destructive repair" of ONLY the Win 7 [probably by using the "upgrade" function of a Win 7 installation CD or img] but what steps should I take to make sure the Win 7 repair...
  10. May I upgrade my windows-7 32 bit to 64 bit ?

in Windows 10 Support
    May I upgrade my windows-7 32 bit to 64 bit ?: Hello expert! Actually I'm little bit confused that many years I'm going to operate my PC with windows-7, 32 bit and it is Intel Dual Core. Unfortunately, now I'm too resentful with 32 bit because of I can't able to use some softwares there in 32 bit OS. So, I decided to...