Windows 10: Find Product Key in Windows 10

Discus and support Find Product Key in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Find Product Key in Windows 10 How to View the Product Key in Windows 10 The Windows 10 product key is a sequence of 25 letters and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Friction, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Friction Win User

Find Product Key in Windows 10

How to: Find Product Key in Windows 10

How to View the Product Key in Windows 10

The Windows 10 product key is a sequence of 25 letters and numbers divided into 5 groups of 5 characters each (ex: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX) that is used to activate the 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 10 edition that you have installed.

OEM PCs store and encrypt the product key in the UEFI firmware chip. The product key is no longer on a COA sticker to help prevent theft. When you reset or install Windows 10, the product key will automatically be detected from the UEFI firmware chip, and will be used to activate.

When you install an Insider Preview or retail copy of Windows 10, you will need to enter it's product key during installation.

change the product key[/b] to be able to enter your volume license product key and activate.

This tutorial will show you how to view the installed and OEM product key in Windows 10.

Find Product Key in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note If you upgraded to the free upgrade of Windows 10 from an activated Windows 7 or 8.1 PC, then you will not have a product key. Instead, the PC gets registered on Microsoft activation servers with a digital entitlement that will always be used to activate Windows 10 on that PC.

Starting with reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

Starting in Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10565:

Device activation improvements: Microsoft has received a lot of feedback from Insiders on making it easier to activate Windows 10 on devices that take advantage of the free upgrade offer to genuine Windows by using existing Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product keys. If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup. Refer to the Insider Hub for more information on these activation improvements including requirements.

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade?

Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

Here's How:

*note Installed Key = This is the product key that Windows is currently activated with.

OEM Key = This is the key stored in the UEFI firmware chip on the motherboard. This key will not always be the same as the installed key. For example, when the PC came with Windows 8.1 originally installed.

1. Download and run ShowKeyPlus. See: "ShowKeyPlus" Information and Download Page

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Friction, Aug 1, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you Friction for letting me know, and welcome to Ten Forums. Those options have been removed for now.

Brink, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Akane Win User
    @Brink Thank you *Smile

Btw,Can I use this key to install windows 10 or this key is only genetic key ?

Akane, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Friction Win User
    If you are upgrading from Windows 7 or 8.1 there is no need to enter a product key at all.

Friction, Aug 1, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Akane, *Smile

Only if you purchased a retail copy of Windows 10 that came with a product key, and you used the key to activate with.

If you have the free offer Windows 10, then you do not have a product key. The blue note box at the top of the tutorial can give you more details on this though.

Brink, Aug 1, 2015
  8. sn00ker Win User

But even so, if one were to do a clean install of 10 on a new drive and afterwards uses a key finder it will show a windows 10 license key . I have done it with using Belarc Advisor and yes I know you don't need to but its nice just to have, no ?

sn00ker, Aug 2, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello sn00ker,

Thank you for sharing. Were you able to successfully activate with that key if entered during a clean install?

Brink, Aug 2, 2015
  10. sn00ker Win User
    Hi Brink,

You know I haven't try it yet but I can't see why it wouldn't since it was generated by MS, right ? Though I am going to try a none license 7 version just to see if it will get act . Can you imagine if its possible as to how many computer shops doing so to make a profit

PS All my copies are legit but I have this thought and I'm curious whether it will work . I heard in another forum someone saying his P7 was able to upgrade

sn00ker, Aug 2, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I wouldn't count on it being a key that you can use to activate with though.

Brink, Aug 2, 2015
  12. sn00ker Win User
    I'm going to try both method none and legit just to see . I'm waiting for a delivery for a part I need to use with one of my playable comps ... I'm waiting to get a sata m and f adapter extender so I can use it with sata 3.5 drives ... I need something like this
    StarTech SATA22PEXT 12" 22 Pin SATA Power and Data Extension Cable

sn00ker, Aug 2, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'll be interested in hearing about your results. *Smile

Brink, Aug 2, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    Brink,

When doing a clean install after the upgrade to Win 10 or if redoing clean install, what was wrote here about how it gets activated in your tutorial.

"The activation for the free offer of Windows 10 is registered on the Microsoft activation servers, and is referenced by the hardware (motherboard/CPU/graphics card) of the PC it was upgraded on."

Does turning off (disabling) this task have anything to do with how they (MS server) accesses this info ?
    Customer Experience Improvement Program

jds63, Aug 2, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey mate. That wouldn't have any affect for activation. *Smile

Brink, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Find Product Key in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Find Product Key

2. Find windows product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Find windows product key: First, open Notepad by right-clicking anywhere on the desktop, hovering over “New,” and then selecting “Text Document” from the menu.Copy and paste this code into Notepad:Set WshShell = CreateObject"WScript.Shell"MsgBox...
  3. Find windows product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Find windows product key: First, open Notepad by right-clicking anywhere on the desktop, hovering over “New,” and then selecting “Text Document” from the menu.Copy and paste this code into Notepad:Set WshShell = CreateObject"WScript.Shell"MsgBox...
  4. Find Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Find Product Key: Hello,I have hard drive that has windows 10 installed and is failing to boot. Where can I find the product key on this drive using another computer to search in the Hdd.thanks...
  5. finding product key

finding product key: To whom it may concern,i have been dealing with this problem of my laptop constantly asking me to activate my windowsbut i havnt been able to find my product key i have been told to try windows key+X and then click on command promt and write this "wmic path...
  6. Finding product key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Finding product key: how can I get my product key to activate windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/finding-product-key/bcc8aefa-87af-401d-8c50-3fd4dfe61b6d
  7. Find Windows 10 product key

Find Windows 10 product key: Recently I have changed my HDD and replaced it with SSD. Because my old Windows 10 had slowed down I decided to freshly install Windows 10 on new SSD instead of upgrading it. So I searched Microsoft resources and found "Media creation tools" to make a USB installation media...
  8. Find Windows Product Key

Find Windows Product Key: I have two machines with two different editions of windows 10. The old one has Windows 10 Pro, and the new one has Windows 10 Home Single Language. I have lost the Windows 10 Pro key and Windows 10 Home Single Language came pre-installed on the machine, so I don't have key...
  9. finding product key

finding product key: I have a older Surface tablet that I bought used and it was upgraded to windows 10. I don't have the key and it wants me to activate the windows. How do I find the product key or digital license for the windows 10 on this thing?...
  10. Finding Product key

Finding Product key: How can i find my windows product key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/finding-product-key/8bc5f5cf-9a5f-48c4-9665-28fcb9b985ff"