Windows 10: Can not declare IE 11 as default program

Discus and support Can not declare IE 11 as default program in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello, After upgrading to Windows 10, Outlook 2010 keeps asking how to open web links when I clicked. I keep telling him to use IE11. The registry... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by pmai, Aug 12, 2015.

1. pmai Win User

Can not declare IE 11 as default program

Hello,

After upgrading to Windows 10, Outlook 2010 keeps asking how to open web links when I clicked.
    I keep telling him to use IE11. The registry update Looks like Microsoft removed if IE11.
    For if I click Edge or chrome then he start each link in Edge or chrome.
    I do not want to used Edge for now until it not possible creates a simple link using drag / drop.
    And especially until it do not sync favorites with other machines in my park (windows 7 et windows 8.1).

Do you have an idea ?

This is a bug or it is by Microsoft? If this is the case, I immediately make a retro pedal to windows 7.

Thank you

:)

2. gatordome Win User

Restore IE 11 to default programs list in Windows 10 AND set IE as default for links opened in email

Running Windows 10 and Internet Explorer 11. Cannot run Microsoft Edge because it does not work with some websites that I use (for example, treasury.gov). Have been using IE 11 as default program for web access in all applications, including Outlook
    for email. Windows 10 updated a few days ago. IE 11 still shows up as default browser in default programs window. However, it does NOT appear in the list of default programs available to be associated with file types, etc. Also, clicking on a link in an
    email message now defaults to Edge, but does not show IE as an option. 2 questions: 1. How do I restore IE 11 to the list of default programs? 2. How do I restore IE 11 as the default browser in email links?

gatordome, Aug 12, 2015
  3. IE Short cut unresponsive, "You can only do this is Internet Explorer".

Hi,

I would like to tell you that that IE 11 is shipped with Windows 10 by default hence it cannot uninstalled or re-installed. For the issue that you are facing you can try couple things to bring up IE 11.

First I would suggest you to create default program and make IE 11 the default,

Set Internet Explorer as default web browser

Refer this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/internet-explorer/make-ie-default-browser

Then open a mail or somewhere find a link and click on it check if IE 11 opens.

Hope this helps.

Anusha Verma, Aug 12, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 12, 2015
  5. SoopaNutz Win User
    I have the same problem as the original poster. Your solution does not work -- at least, for links in Outlook 2010. No matter how you try to set IE 11 as the default browser, clicking a hyperlink in Outlook 2010 will open a window asking what program you wish to use to open the link. It gives you the option to continue using your default browser, or use Edge, or find some other program. It also has a checkbox to indicate that you want to do this from now on. Then, of course, you have to click "OK." NONE OF THIS HAS ANY EFFECT AT ALL (except to waste time). So, it takes four clicks to do what used to take only one click. Very annoying.

BTW, this doesn't happen when you click on a hyperlink in a program like Acrobat. The only time I have this problem is with Outlook 2010.

SoopaNutz, Aug 12, 2015
  6. SoopaNutz Win User
    Hi, Pmai. Have you found a solution to this yet? I have the same problem.

SoopaNutz, Aug 12, 2015
  7. pmai Win User
    not yet. Even Microsoft does not answer

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

It works for me for links from within Outlook 2016.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...a.html#option6

Can not declare IE 11 as default program [​IMG]

Brink, Aug 12, 2015
  9. pmai Win User
    It may fontionne with outlook 2016. But I have a fleet of 12 machines with Outlok 2010 and I have no intention of spending money to go around 2016
    Option IE 11 as the default program is not save

Sorry for my poor English because i am french

10. VooDoo Win User
    Interesting; I cannot get it to stick with Outlook 2010 either *really. May have to try OL 2016 and see if that works.

VooDoo, Aug 12, 2015
  11. pmai Win User
    Hello SoopaNutz and Brink
    For Outlook 2010, did you find a solution?
    I really do not intend to invest in Outlook 2016, just because of this problem.
    I am sure that there is simply a key in the registry but what?
    See you

12. SoopaNutz Win User
    Pmai, I'm still looking for some solution, too. One work-around you could try would be to install FireFox and set it as your default browser. I've tried that, and I'm somewhat surprised at how good FireFox has become.

SoopaNutz, Aug 15, 2015
  13. mtroxel Win User

Ditto here. Outllook 2010, Win 10 fully patched. If I choose Edge as the default, hyperlinks work. Firefox as the default, it works. IE 11 as the default works everywhere except Outlook 2010 where it nags me about how to open the hyperlink, and the "Always" checkbox does nothing. If I email a hyperlink to myself, then check web mail in IE 11, hyperlinks open in IE 11. Web mail in Firefox and hyperlinks open in Firefox. So it's clearly an Outlook 2010/Win 10 issue.

I've done it all. Reset IE 11, checked the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\htmlfile\shell\open\command, and at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \.html. All is fine and exactly as my other Win 7 box.

mtroxel, Aug 15, 2015
  14. SoopaNutz Win User
    I've tried messing around with the settings in IE11, too: turn off protected mode, decrease security at various sites, etc. None of that had any effect either.

SoopaNutz, Aug 15, 2015
  15. pmai Win User
    Ok SoopaNutz, but you know if Firefox can fetch the favorites onedrive? For I have used this technique to have the same bookmarks on all workstations

Thema:

1. Can not declare IE 11 as default program - Similar Threads - declare default program

2. Windows 10 canned apps, ie., "default apps" and "add remove programs"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 canned apps, ie., "default apps" and "add remove programs": When I go to Search in the task bar, and I search for "default apps" or "add remove programs", the menu list appears. When I click on either of these to launch it, I get an error msg "This file does not have an app associated with it..etc." I tried resetting the file...
  3. Windows 10 canned apps, ie., "default apps" and "add remove programs"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 canned apps, ie., "default apps" and "add remove programs": When I go to Search in the task bar, and I search for "default apps" or "add remove programs", the menu list appears. When I click on either of these to launch it, I get an error msg "This file does not have an app associated with it..etc." I tried resetting the file...
  4. Windows 10 canned apps, ie., "default apps" and "add remove programs"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot set IE as a default browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot set IE as a default browser: I want to have IE as a default browser. I am trying to set it using Chrome. I do it in the following way: select Internet Options, then Programs but the Programs tab disappears after that. I uninstalled Internet Explorer and reinstalled it again but nothing has changed...
  6. Making IE 11 the default browser

in Browsers and Email
    Making IE 11 the default browser: Our company still use IE 11 for many things and I was looking for a way to make it the default browser, anybody got some good tips on how to do this? many thx *Biggrin 125823
  7. IE 11

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IE 11: I have tried to contact Microsoft support about this issue but always go through the same thing. I have chatted with someone 4 times already about this issue. Is there a link to redownload IE 11 on windows 10. It is non-existent on the system ( have checked 4 times...
  8. Make Google Default Search in IE??

in Browsers and Email
    Make Google Default Search in IE??: I've been trying to figure out how to add google search to IE and make it my default search engine. When I go to the add on gallery here: http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/addon...&featuretype=2 and click google, then add to IE, nothing happens. I just found this...
  9. Edge is default but things open in IE

in Browsers and Email
    Edge is default but things open in IE: Hi. I'm using W10 and have Edge as the default browser (I also use Chrome and Firefox). Some programs are automatically opening in Internet Explorer such as when I open Google+ photos or when software updates and shows what has changed on its website. Any ideas how to change...
  10. IE 11 crashing

in Browsers and Email
    IE 11 crashing: Getting pretty regular "IE has stopped working........" The only data I have is what's in the Event Viewer log. Tried to give MS feedback but when I do what they say, "Type Windows Feedback in the Search....", it just takes me to a Google Search for, "Windows Feedback"....