Windows 10: Can the Win10 1607 ISO from MS be used for restoring?

Discus and support Can the Win10 1607 ISO from MS be used for restoring? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My PC came with Windows 10 pre-installed (before the 1511 update). It's now up to date with the recent 1607 upgrade and the cumulative patch that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pjfarr, Sep 18, 2016.

1. pjfarr Win User

Can the Win10 1607 ISO from MS be used for restoring?

My PC came with Windows 10 pre-installed (before the 1511 update). It's now up to date with the recent 1607 upgrade and the cumulative patch that followed it.

Some problems have developed on my system and I might want to try to restore Windows if other troubleshooting fails. If I use the MS Media Creation tool to download the 1607 ISO image, can I use that to do the restore? Since neither the 1511 or 1607 updates hadn't been released when my PC was purchased, using my PC's native restore tools would reset it back to the pre-1511 version, wouldn't it?

:)

pjfarr, Sep 18, 2016

2. After every Windows updates, system restore will delete automatically why?

Hi,

I installed Win 10 1511 using iso file. In this system, I never tried Win10 1607.

VinOth_VingO, Sep 18, 2016
  3. kjl1956 Win User
    UEFI bios, win10 on two different drives, one 1607, one 1703 creators update

Received a request from from the MS community forum team to the status of this post.

Should have kept this simple, 2 separate hard drives both with win10, 1 1607 the other 1703.

Have been using the hard drive that has 1607, instead of upgrading 1607 to 1703, I just wanted

to swap drive 1 (1607) too drive 2 (1703).

Just wiped the drive with 1703 and it in use as a storage drive.

kjl1956, Sep 18, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

You can use the 1607 ISO to either perform an in place repair install or a clean install.

Steve C, Sep 18, 2016
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    OldMike65, Sep 18, 2016
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    OldMike65, Sep 18, 2016
  7. pjfarr Win User
    Thank you guys.

A total re-install is always my "if-all-else-fails" option, so I will try other things first, including reinstating a recent system image, then a repair install. I just wanted to be sure I could use a burned ISO of the most recent Win10 version even though it's not the OEM-branded version that my PC shipped with.

pjfarr, Sep 18, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Ok pjfarr , the most recent Windows 10 ISO will do both, Clean install or a repair install. Your choice.
    After you get your Windows OS repaired and running good, I would also suggest that you download and install Macrium Reflect Free, on your C Drive. Then make the rescue media disk. (either a DVD or USB) Then you should make a complete image of your Windows 10 and save it on a 2nd drive, external would be the best choice. This will give you the BEST Insurance to repair your Windows OS in the future, if something goes wrong again, by restoring your OS to when it was running prefect. Without having to reinstall the OS and maybe also having to reinstall all your 3rd party programs and personal files. Many of us use Macrium for our image backups on here.
    Macrium Reflect Free

OldMike65, Sep 18, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    In addition, I suggest you add a scheduled task to Reflect to automate the system backups on a regular basis to a drive other than your OS drive,

Steve C, Sep 18, 2016
  10. pjfarr Win User
    I do have Macrium Reflect and have 3 different images on a USB drive: The most recent is just after the 1607 upgrade, one a month or so before that, and then one a few months before that. I'm pretty sure I made the rescue disk too, but I actually forgot about it till you mentioned it.

Possibly dumb questions: Isn't the full Windows 10 disc able to be used as a rescue disk? And are rescue disks interchangeable between different PCs running the same version of Windows?

BTW "Old" Mike—you're younger than I am *Smile

pjfarr, Sep 18, 2016
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    Well glad you already have Macrium installed.
    The image backup you use for that a PC is ONLY good for the PC it was made from. The drivers will be different on each PC.
    The Windows ISO is only used for a repair or a clean install of your Windows OS.
    If you already have a image backup of your Windows OS, use your rescue disk, boot from it, and restore a backup image that you know is good. (When your OS was running prefect, no problems)
    Hope this helps. *Smile

OldMike65, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can the Win10 1607 ISO from MS be used for restoring? - Similar Threads - Win10 1607 ISO

2. Using a Win10 system image to restore Win10 from Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using a Win10 system image to restore Win10 from Win11: Prior to downgrading to win 11, I made a system image.Then I used Macrium reflect to clone the drive onto an M2drive, then replace the conventional HD with a bigger one.After almost a month I did this over Christmas I'm sick of all the issues Win11 has caused, and am going to...
  3. Using a Win10 system image to restore Win10 from Win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using a Win10 system image to restore Win10 from Win11: Prior to downgrading to win 11, I made a system image.Then I used Macrium reflect to clone the drive onto an M2drive, then replace the conventional HD with a bigger one.After almost a month I did this over Christmas I'm sick of all the issues Win11 has caused, and am going to...
  4. How to backup and restore registry using only win10 iso command prompt

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to backup and restore registry using only win10 iso command prompt: In a link it suggested several registry troubleshooting steps for a Windows with black screen. For Windows 10 1909 how do you backup and restore one registry change using a windows 10 iso command prompt? If more than one registry entry is modified how do you backup and...
  5. How to backup and restore registry using only win10 iso command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    How to backup and restore registry using only win10 iso command prompt: In a link it suggested several registry troubleshooting steps for a Windows with black screen. For Windows 10 1909 how do you backup and restore one registry change using a windows 10 iso command prompt? If more than one registry entry is modified how do you backup and...
  6. Direct download of isos from MS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Direct download of isos from MS: The direct route of downloading isos (spoofing browser or via a non windiws device) on windows 10 MS download site seems to be broken at the moment. Can anybody confirm? 117651
  7. Can the lock screen on boot be disabled in Win10 1607

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can the lock screen on boot be disabled in Win10 1607: Am I missing something? What's the value of having to click the lock screen to get to the sign-in screen? I had instructions to suppress this in 1511 at http://windows.wonderhowto.com/how-t...ws-10-0162965/ , but it no longer works in 1607. Is there any known method to...
  8. Can a single ISO be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall Win10?

Can a single ISO be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall Win10?: Can a single ISO (USB installer) be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall windows10?g used the Microsoft page to create a bootable installation USB drive for my laptop (Acer) via the "Win10-MediaCreationTool" I was wondering if I can use the same one on my other laptop (Dell)?...
  9. Reverting to 1607 with clean iso install

Reverting to 1607 with clean iso install: .Since creators update is buggy mess atm and I am done dealing with it, I am planing to clean install 1607 tommorow but I I am not sure if it won't get updated to Creators in process: You know, when you boot and saying checkin for updates? Also, if I manage to install it,...
  10. Is MS ISO download 1607?

Is MS ISO download 1607?: MS 1607 update to my pre-1607 Win 10 have failed more than 10 times. Finally spent over 4 hours on the phone with MS level 1 and 2. Things are now even worse. Applications that have worked for a long time (including under Win 10) are failing. Including the OS telling me it is...