Windows 10: Cannot Backup or system image, Win 10

Discus and support Cannot Backup or system image, Win 10 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've recently upgraded 8.1 to 10. Things seemed somewhat okay but before I try to do anything with programs, etc., I want to back up and also make a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by TerryGer, Sep 5, 2015.

1. TerryGer Win User

Cannot Backup or system image, Win 10

I've recently upgraded 8.1 to 10. Things seemed somewhat okay but before I try to do anything with programs, etc., I want to back up and also make a system image to an external drive. This will not happen, I get error codes, 0x807800c5 and 0x80780081. I do not want to resort to third party programs until I find a reason that win 10 will not allow these back ups to be made. I am in search of a solution for this.
    Thanks

:)

TerryGer, Sep 5, 2015
  2. mlg63 Win User

Restore Windows 10 from image file after crash

System Images and Backups must be on an external hard drive, not a file or partition on the main drive. Is Drive D external? Once you install windows 10, use the win 10 backup utility and file history system image instead of win 7. Just type Backup in the
    Run box and win 10 file history will open. You access the system images using a repair disk that you can boot to if you cannot access the hard drive.

See
    http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-10/#!

mlg63, Sep 5, 2015
  3. OCdlee Win User
    Is the system backup for Windows 10 still identified as a Windows 7 task name?

Thanks to Santosh for showing the 2 ways in file backup. However, in doing a system image backup and when a system is upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10, the system still keeps the Win 7 system so you can go back to it in case you have Win 10 problems. So for
    method 1, through Control panel > Backup and Restore (Windows 7), does it mean it is going to backup Win 7 system image only? What happen to Win 10 system? Will Win 10 or Win 7 or both systems be backed up?

Method 2 does not have a system image backup option in latest Win 10 backup screen (for sure, at least in a Win 7 upgraded Win 10 system, it is not there). How do you do a system image backup in method 2 through
    Settings > Update & security > Backup?

OCdlee, Sep 5, 2015
  4. winxp Win User

I guessing you have a registered version of Win10 and all is good.

Have you thought about making a USB or DVD Win10 install disk?
    I would do this first and then do a clean install over your existing WIN10.
    Oh make sure you copy your data before doing this.

Relevant Tutorials
    For a Upgrade installation guide > Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums
    For a clean installation guide > Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums
    For Activating Windows 10 > Activate Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

winxp, Sep 5, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    I know you said you don't want to use 3rd party programs yet, but what is more important, getting a good backup or working on the problem.

For me it would be getting the backup. Once that's done then work on the problem and try anything you want since you have a backup you can restore if needed.

So therefor I suggest using Macrium Reflect Free.

Ztruker, Sep 5, 2015
  6. simrick Win User
    I have to agree with @Ztruker. Get a good backup before you start troubleshooting, and do it using Macrium Reflect. That way, if things go downhill, you can always restore the image and start again. Just be sure to make the Rescue Media through Macrium as well, or you won't be able to get to the image to restore it. It's quite simple, and the program walks you through it.

simrick, Sep 5, 2015
  7. Teddy Win User
    You can also use disk2vhd, which is a dead simple image backup tool, free (provided by Microsoft, so it's somewhere in between Windows backup and 3rd party tools).
    Takes a full image, which you can mount as a drive.

Teddy, Sep 6, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

I have to agree with Ztruker. In the worst case scenario, you are one of the unlucky ones whose upgrade is about to fail. Do yourself a favour and do a one-off backup using a third-party program and then work on a solution. No need to cut your nose off to spite your face.... *Smile

As far as a solution is concerned, here is my offering:
    • Download a third-party backup program as a temporary solution
    • Do a backup of all your files, documents, photos, videos, music etc
    • Do a clean Win10 install (I'm assuming you have a fully activated Win10 upgrade)
    • Check all drivers are working properly and update as necessary
    • Install latest program versions of all your favourite applications
    • Make sure any dependent software and/or drivers are updated as applicable
    • Use Windows 10 to do your imaging

Good luck!! And a warm welcome to the forum too *Smile

WhyMe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot Backup or system image, Win 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot Backup system

2. Cannot backup/restore the system image with Windows 10 PRO.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot backup/restore the system image with Windows 10 PRO.: SUBTITLE: AOMEI appears not to work as I expected with Windows 10 Pro.++++++++++++++++++++The beauty of using the Backup and Restore app in the Windows 10 Home Control Panel is that you can restore your system image backup even when your PC won't boot.The key being the...
  3. Cannot backup/restore the system image with Windows 10 PRO.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot backup/restore the system image with Windows 10 PRO.: SUBTITLE: AOMEI appears not to work as I expected with Windows 10 Pro.++++++++++++++++++++The beauty of using the Backup and Restore app in the Windows 10 Home Control Panel is that you can restore your system image backup even when your PC won't boot.The key being the...
  4. Cannot create system image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot create system image backup: I want to create a system image backup but I can't because I don't have enough space to store it. I checked and noticed when I backed up it included drive E even though I didn't install any operating system on this drive....
  5. Cannot backup system image to internal HD

Cannot backup system image to internal HD: Hi, I am trying to save a "system image" to my "E" drive but Windows does not detect it in the process. Can someone help me? You will find below screenshots that be may help diagnose the problem. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Thanks in advance,...
  6. Win 10 Image BackUp

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Win 10 Image BackUp: Currently I'm running Win 10 on a portable HDD and would like to create an image of it but when I go to "Backup and Restore" window I get the following: This feature is not available in a portable workstation environment. 163658
  7. System image backup

System image backup: I have a windows 10 pro PC and I recently replaced my main 2TB HD with a 3TB using GPT and cloned my drive with no problem, I also installed a 3TB drive and formatted it using GPT as a way of doing a system image, which I had previously gone to a 2TB HD. Since this change...
  8. system image backup

system image backup: Trying to back up my hard drive as a "system image". I see the option in the videos, but when I click on Settings, Backup, the "system image" option is not there. It just says "save these files" and lists a bunch of data files. How to create a system image? The Microsoft...
  9. Image Backup - Win 10

Image Backup - Win 10: I may be the first one to do it, or maybe not. But just a reminder to everyone (who did hard installation on SSDs and HDDs). All of us here have just clean installed the Win 10 Tech Preview. If it's running okay now, before you go any further messing it up and before bugs...
  10. Can not Backup or system image, Win 10

Can not Backup or system image, Win 10: I have had win 10 on my laptop 5 months or so being upgraded from win 8, 8.1 etc. In this time I have not been able to backup to my (eSATA) external HD. I need to do some program work so I want to back up before going ahead. Before someone says use this or that backup program...