Windows 10: Activate Windows 10

Discus and support Activate Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Activate Windows 10 How to Activate Windows 10 Activation helps verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and hasnt been used on more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by DavidY, Jul 2, 2015.

1. DavidY Win User

Activate Windows 10

How to: Activate Windows 10

How to Activate Windows 10

Activation helps verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and hasnt been used on more devices than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow.

How you activate Windows 10 after reinstalling it depends on how Windows 10 was originally installed on your device.

If you activated your free upgrade to Windows 10 or bought and activated Windows 10 from the Windows Store, you have a digital entitlement for your device. This means you can reinstall the same edition of Windows 10 that your device has a digital entitlement for without entering a product key. During reinstallation, if youre asked to enter a product key, select Skip. Your device will automatically activate online after the installation is complete.

If you previously installed and activated Windows 10 using a product key, youll need to enter the product during the reinstallation.

Starting with Activation troubleshooter if you make a hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

This tutorial will show you how to activate Windows 10 online or by phone with a product key on your PC.

You will need an Internet connection and must be signed in as an administrator to activate Windows 10.

You will need to activate Windows before you can personalize your PC.

Depending on how you got your copy of Windows 10, activation will use either a digital license or a 25-character product key. A digital license is a new method of activation in Windows 10 that doesn't require you to enter a product key.

See also: Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help

[table][tr][td]How you got Windows 10[/td] [td]Activation method[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]You upgraded to Windows 10 for free from an eligible device running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.[/td] [td]Digital license[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]You bought genuine Windows 10 from the Windows Store and successfully activated Windows 10.[/td] [td]Digital license[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]You bought a Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the Windows Store and successfully activated Windows 10.[/td] [td]Digital license[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]You’re a Windows Insider and upgraded to the newest Windows 10 Insider Preview build on an eligible device that was running an activated previous version of Windows and Windows 10 Preview.[/td] [td]Digital license[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]You bought a copy of Windows 10 from an authorized retailer.[/td] [td]Product key (On a label inside the Windows 10 box. A digital license will be given to your device for Windows 10 based on the valid product key you entered.)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]You bought a digital copy of Windows 10 from an authorized retailer.[/td] [td]Product key (In the confirmation email you received after buying Windows 10 or in a digital locker accessible through the retailer’s website. A digital license will be given to your device for Windows 10 based on the valid product key you entered.)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]You have a Volume Licensing agreement for Windows 10 or MSDN subscription.[/td] [td]Product key (Available through the web portal for your program.)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]You bought a new device running Windows 10.[/td] [td]Product key (Pre–installed on your device, included with the device packaging, or included as a card or on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) attached to the device.)[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Activate Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Tip Why can't I activate Windows 10?

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors - Windows Help

Appendix A: KMS Client Setup Keys

Download Microsoft Volume Licensing Reference Guide from Official Microsoft Download Center

Activation troubleshooter

Starting in Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10565:

Device activation improvements: Microsoft has received a lot of feedback from Insiders on making it easier to activate Windows 10 on devices that take advantage of the free upgrade offer to genuine Windows by using existing Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product keys. If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup.

Can I reinstall the Free Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

If you have USB drive or DVD to use to install Windows 10 again after you’ve upgraded the first time.

You do not get a product key with the free upgrade of Windows 10. Instead, the activation for the free offer of Windows 10 is registered on the Microsoft activation servers as a digital license for the PC when you upgrade from an activated Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. If you make a meaningful change to your PC's hardware (ex: motherboard), you may need to contact customer support to activate by phone.

Contents
    • Option One: To Activate Windows 10 Online in Windows Setup while Installing Windows
    • Option Two: To Activate Windows 10 Online in Settings
    • Option Three: To Activate Windows 10 Online in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: To Activate Windows 10 by Phone
    • Option Five: To Activate Windows 10 using Activation Troubleshooter

EXAMPLE: "Windows isn't activated" message in Settings

OPTION ONE [/i] To Activate Windows 10 Online in Windows Setup while Installing Windows
    1 While doing a clean install of Windows 10, you will be prompted to activate Windows 10. (see screenshot below)

If needed, you can click/tap on the I don't have a product key link to manually activate Windows 10 later using Option Two or Option Three below.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Activate Windows 10 Online in Settings
    1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Windows isn't activated. Activate Windows now link at the bottom.

2 Click/tap on the Activate button (if available) to see if Windows may activate online with the currently installed product key. (see screenshot below)

3 If Windows was successfully activated, then go to step 9 below.

4 If Windows can't activate, then click/tap on the Change product key link. (see screenshot below)

5 If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

6 Enter your 25 digit product key number for the edition of Windows 10 you have installed, and click/tap on Next or press Enter. (see screenshot below)

7 Click/tap on Activate. (see screenshot below)

8 If Windows was successfully activated, click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

9 You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Activate Windows 10 Online in Command Prompt
    1 Open an elevated command prompt.

2 Do step 3 (active with current key) and/or step 4 (activate with specified key) below for how you want to activate Windows 10.

3. To Activate Window 10 with Current Product Key
    A) Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    slmgr /ato

B) If successful, Windows will now be activated with the current product key. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. To Activate Window 10 with a Specified Product Key
    A) Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    slmgr /ipk product key number

Substitute product key number in the command above with the actual 25 digit with dashes product key number from the top of this tutorial for the edition of Windows 10 preview you have installed.

For example: slmgr /ipk VTNMT-2FMYP-QCY43-QR9VK-WTVCK

B) If successful, Windows will now be activated with the entered product key. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5 You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Activate Windows 10 by Phone
    Phone activation involves calling a Microsoft Product Activation Center, providing your information and your 63-digit Installation ID, and then complete the activation with the confirmation ID provided by the Microsoft Product Activation Center.

1 Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type SLUI 4, and click/tap on OK.

2 Select your country or region, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

3 Call the provided "Microsoft activation phone number" for a Microsoft Product Activation Center. It would be best to call the toll free number. (see screenshot below)

4 The automated phone system will ask you to enter your 63 digit installation ID (IID), and click/tap on Enter confirmation ID after successfully doing so. (see screenshot above)

5 Enter the confirmation ID number given by the automated phone system, and click/tap on Activate Windows when finished. (see screenshot below)

6 If Windows was successfully activated with your product key, then click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

7 If activation failed, then stay on the line and wait to be transferred to an activation operator (human) that may be able to help.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Activate Windows 10 using Activation Troubleshooter
    If you made a significant hardware change to your device (such as replacing the motherboard) Windows 10 might no longer be activated. If you added your linked it to the digital license for your PC, you can use the Activation troubleshooter to reactivate Windows.

1 For how, see: How to Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

DavidY, Jul 2, 2015

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Jul 2, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Jul 2, 2015
  4. bagavan Win User

Activate Windows 10

Can I use windows 8 Key for activation?

bagavan, Jul 2, 2015
  5. bagavan Win User
    Did u try activating from ur original key?

bagavan, Jul 2, 2015
  6. DavidY Win User
    Yep (I used ShowKey to read the OEM key from 8.1 before I started, then when 10162 wouldn't activate, tried typing in the 8.1 key). It didn't accept it as a valid key. *Sad

DavidY, Jul 2, 2015
  7. bagavan Win User
    How do we go for the final one if this version (preview) remains deactivated?

bagavan, Jul 2, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Activate Windows 10

Brink, Jul 2, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Check the keys carefully when you enter the product key --it has to be the correct one for the correct version --easy enough to make a mistake.

I activated mine using the LOCAL account. Did CLEAN install from the official ISO.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 2, 2015
  10. Nobody Win User
    I have a question concerning the, activation, Because I have not done it.
    But still the Windows 10 has been activated.

In the beginning I had, Windows 7 and Windows 10, each on a different hdd.
    When build 10074 come. I first formatting Windows 10 hdd, and after that i update my Windows 7 to windows 10..
    I've done since then 2 clean installation, however, Windows has always remained activated.
    But I am running windows 10 pro, and my windows 7 was home premium.

Is this normal, which I just do not get due to poor English skills? *Biggrin

Nobody, Jul 2, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Nobody,

Usually if the Windows 10 Insider Preview detects an activated Windows it is upgrading from, it will be activated as well. *Smile

Brink, Jul 2, 2015
  12. Nobody Win User
    Aah ok., there is therefore nothing special.
    Thanks for the answer Brink *Smile

Nobody, Jul 2, 2015
  13. bagavan Win User

Activate Windows 10

Mine was activated 8.1 Still my copy is not activated.

bagavan, Jul 2, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Bagavan,

Yep, "usually", but not always.

Try changing your product key number using the key for that build number. *Smile

Brink, Jul 2, 2015
  15. DavidY Win User
    Hey Shawn,

Thanks for your response.

My story is similar to bagavan's - I had a computer running 8.1 (not Pro), activated, and then used the 10162 ISO from Microsoft. I ran setup.exe from within 8.1, and it ended up with the Home version of 10 Preview, which makes sense as it corresponds to the eventual upgrade paths from 8.1.

But it didn't activate.

I then tried this key which you mentioned in another thread - the computer seemed to accept the key as valid, but still wouldn't activate.
    I'm doing other things for the weekend now, so hoping there's something at Microsoft's end which they can fix by Monday.

DavidY, Jul 2, 2015
Thema:

Activate Windows 10

1. Activate Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Activate

2. How to activate windows after installing windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to activate windows after installing windows 10: I just upgraded my windows 8.1 to windows 10 but i do not know how to activate it because i cant buy a new computer or anything because i have no money, and i kept on searching for how to activate windows but nothing was found, any tips on how i can activate windows after...
  3. How to activate windows after installing windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to activate windows after installing windows 10: I just upgraded my windows 8.1 to windows 10 but i do not know how to activate it because i cant buy a new computer or anything because i have no money, and i kept on searching for how to activate windows but nothing was found, any tips on how i can activate windows after...
  4. How to activate windows after installing windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 Activation from Home to Pro . shows inactive and Windows 11 Enterprise

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Activation from Home to Pro . shows inactive and Windows 11 Enterprise: Recently I paid to upgrade my "Windows 11 Home" to "Windows 11 Pro" via the microsoft app store. However, after installation and restarts, the activation isn't working. I'm receiving error code: 0xC004C003. Also it says "Windows 11 Enterprise" at the top of the activation...
  6. Windows 11 Activation from Home to Pro . shows inactive and Windows 11 Enterprise

Windows 11 Activation from Home to Pro . shows inactive and Windows 11 Enterprise: Recently I paid to upgrade my "Windows 11 Home" to "Windows 11 Pro" via the microsoft app store. However, after installation and restarts, the activation isn't working. I'm receiving error code: 0xC004C003. Also it says "Windows 11 Enterprise" at the top of the activation...
  7. how to restore windows 8 activation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to restore windows 8 activation.: hellomy laptop has windows 8 preinstalled and activatedi buy it with windows 10 installed and activated but i can't change the screen brightness due to intel hd graphics 4000 driver incompatibility with windows 10i downgrade to windows 8.1. the same situation. impossible to...
  8. how to restore windows 8 activation.

how to restore windows 8 activation.: hellomy laptop has windows 8 preinstalled and activatedi buy it with windows 10 installed and activated but i can't change the screen brightness due to intel hd graphics 4000 driver incompatibility with windows 10i downgrade to windows 8.1. the same situation. impossible to...
  9. Can I get any activation code for my windows 11 because I still a student and I can't pay

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I get any activation code for my windows 11 because I still a student and I can't pay: Hello ,I`m a student at faculty of engineering menofia university in Egypt and i think that acadimc email give me Windows 11 key ,isn`t it ?and if not how can i get Windows 11 key free because i`m still a student and i can`t payBest Regards,...
  10. Can I get any activation code for my windows 11 because I still a student and I can't pay

Can I get any activation code for my windows 11 because I still a student and I can't pay: Hello ,I`m a student at faculty of engineering menofia university in Egypt and i think that acadimc email give me Windows 11 key ,isn`t it ?and if not how can i get Windows 11 key free because i`m still a student and i can`t payBest Regards,...