Windows 10: Cannot boot in recovery mode. F8 not working, continues to normal mode

Discus and support Cannot boot in recovery mode. F8 not working, continues to normal mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On an Aseus laptop found in the dumpster on campus that was left behind from one of the students and matenience threw it out, I cannot do a factory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ornithophilia, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Cannot boot in recovery mode. F8 not working, continues to normal mode

On an Aseus laptop found in the dumpster on campus that was left behind from one of the students and matenience threw it out, I cannot do a factory wipe on it to remove this person's data so I can create my own login.

I was told I am supposed to do this through recovery mode but it WILL NOT boot into recovery mode despite repeatedly tapping f8. It just boots into normal mode where I cannot get into without the password.

I Googled several things on trying to get this to go into recovery mode, all with junk results or telling me to do things in command prompt or msconfigwhich again I cannot do.

I then added "boots into normal mode" to my search and then all I got was spammy results.

How can I get this to boot into recovery mode if f8 is not working and I do not know the password? Windows 8 makes it so easy, why must Windows 10 be so difficult to accomplish the same thing??

:)

Ornithophilia, Aug 21, 2018

2. unable to boot into safe mode

i have been hijacked, virus, everything. so i was told to boot into safe mode then run all of my virus and spyware scans. well i cant boot into safe mode, i turn off the computer using the power button, wait 30 seconds, press power again, as soon as i press that i press F8 and hold it down, i continue to hold it down and it just continues to go into normal windows boot....then i tried the same again, did the same. tried doing the same but this time "tapping" the F8 key, does the same...is there another way to boot into safe mode?

Braveheart, Aug 21, 2018
  3. PC stuck in Safe mode, unable to boot to Normal mode.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• What error do you get when you try to boot in normal mode?
    • Did you entered Safe mode through Windows Recovery Environment or through System Config?

I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it works:

• Press Windows key + R and type msconfig and hit enter.
    • On the General tab, tap or click the Normal Startup option.
    • On the Boot tab, uncheck all the option under Safe mode.
    • Tap or click OK, when you are prompted to restart the computer, tap or click Restart.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Aug 21, 2018
  4. Cannot boot in recovery mode. F8 not working, continues to normal mode

Does F8 key still work to boot into Safe Mode?

It was Option Two, step 4 (holding shift key while pressing restart) that worked.

CountryBumkin, Aug 21, 2018
Thema:

Cannot boot in recovery mode. F8 not working, continues to normal mode

1. Cannot boot in recovery mode. F8 not working, continues to normal mode - Similar Threads - Cannot boot recovery

2. Recovery mode not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery mode not working: I tried to factory reset my pc and when I got to the recovery mode page I clicked on reset this pc , I then clicked on remove everything and my pc instead of actually factory resetting it just restarted and took me back to the login screen ,I tried multiple times it won’t...
  3. Recovery mode not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery mode not working: I tried to factory reset my pc and when I got to the recovery mode page I clicked on reset this pc , I then clicked on remove everything and my pc instead of actually factory resetting it just restarted and took me back to the login screen ,I tried multiple times it won’t...
  4. Cannot boot up windows in normal mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot boot up windows in normal mode: After selecting normal boot on windows 10 the system restarts itself into safe mode . When i Choose the normal startup mode the safe mode automatically turns on and when i try to disable safe mode the settings automatically changes to selective startup . Please help...
  5. Laptop continually boots into recovery mode. Cannot recover.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop continually boots into recovery mode. Cannot recover.: Hello, Last night I put my laptop to sleep and closed the screen. This morning when I woke up, my laptop booted weirdly I presume into recovery mode asking me what keyboard language to use. It then presents me with 6 different recovery options; Startup Repair, UEFI...
  6. Cannot Enter Safe Mode / Computer boots normally

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Enter Safe Mode / Computer boots normally: I'm running Win 10 Pro 1903. Here are the steps I have taken to get into safe mode: Start button, settings, update and security, recovery, advanced startup, troubleshoot, advanced options, startup settings, restart. The computer boots normally, not in safe mode. Any...
  7. Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot: How can I turn on this function, again? I have tried the following: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy and bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes as per online searches. But, I get the following message: >>The set command specified is not valid. >>Run...
  8. Reactivate F8 to boot safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Reactivate F8 to boot safe mode: I happened across this cmd.exe line while looking for a shortcut to open in safe mode: Code: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy[/quote] . It worked. I found a startup menu and got to safe mode with network. One little problem: after trying it out I rebooted and...
  9. Windows fails to boot, into safe mode or normal mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows fails to boot, into safe mode or normal mode: In MSconfig I set windows to boot into safe mode, now it will not boot at all. Previously it booted into normal mode. I used a Windows recovery disc from which the only option that works is the command prompt. From the cmd prompt I can see all of C: drive and also run...
  10. Does F8 key still work to boot into Safe Mode?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does F8 key still work to boot into Safe Mode?: I ran into a problem installing Win10 on my laptop (I posted about it here). I got into an endless reboot cycle where Win would go to desktop but no taskbar/apps worked and a popup message left me no choice but to reboot again. I needed to get to Safe Mode to fix this. I had...