Windows 10: Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu

Discus and support Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Belarc reports UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. P11-B2 Operating System: Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1511 (build 10586.494) Installed: 4/27/2016... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MeAndMyComputer, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu

Belarc reports UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. P11-B2
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1511 (build 10586.494)
    Installed: 4/27/2016 5:58:22 AM Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB)
    Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot.

This is my brother’s computer: originally it was Win8, upgraded to Win8.1 and then in Apr to Win10.
    --- The computer runs OK and I’ve shown him how to use MRF to create system image backups.
    --- Today Aug 8 we tried to test recovering yesterday’s Aug 7 system image backup.
    --- It didn’t go well at all.
    --- The MR recovery DVD-RW didn’t boot up in order to test it.

I thought of disabling Secure Boot to see if that was blocking the MR bootable Rescue DVD-RW.

However we weren’t able to boot into either the UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu.
    --- According to our notes DEL is used to boot into the UEFI BIOS and F12 is for the Boot Menu.
    --- However when booting up: in less than a split second something scrolls up but the computer immediately boots into Windows to log in.
    --- That’s much too fast to get into the UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu.
    --- Please help us figure out what to do.

Following that I’ll have to learn how to ensure proper system image backups and recovery using MRF.
    --- I don’t recall any issues when I had Win7 but re-training myself makes sense to me because it’s obvious I don’t understand it well.
    --- For now I’m going to completely uninstall MRF from his computer and hope to start over with a clean slate.

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Aug 7, 2016

2. Cant choose keyboard layout

I got into the bios boot menu but I cannot choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered. what should I do.

mo lockwood, Aug 7, 2016
  3. System crashed while doing a clean install of Windows 10! Help ASAP!

How did you make the bootable media? Is flash media created only by Media Creation Tool?

If you have a modern UEFI BIOS are you booting the media as a UEFI or EFI device from the one-time BIOS Boot menu key - which on Lenovo is obtained by powering up with the small OneKey button near Power button, by tapping the F12 key vigorously at boot,
    or by entering
    Advanced Startup Options
    to choose "Use a yDevice?"

To determine if you have a UEFI BIOS, look in Disk Management for an EFI System partition vs. the System Reserved partition on a Legacy BIOS' install. In BIOS setup, look for settings for UEFI, CSM, Legacy BIOS, Secure Boot and in the BIOS Boot order which
    should have Windows Boot Manager first for UEFI or hard drive first for Legacy BIOS.

Failure to boot media is 90% of the time a user failure. The timing needs to be correct, key pressed vigorously enough and "Press any Key to boot disk" responded to quickly.

If you cannot access one-time BIOS Boot menu or Lenovo OneKey Boot Menu, try setting the media being used first to boot in BIOS setup. While there, reset to defaults, check SATA controller is set to AHCI.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 7, 2016
  4. Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu

Try F2 or F8 while Powering ON.. (which you might already Have). If no go update BIOS(which you might already have).

Assuming you have Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 on computer.. Do a Shift + Restart >> Troubleshoot >> Advanced Options >> Change UEFI firmware settings...Restart.
    U should be be able to boot in BIOS.

manish9009, Aug 7, 2016
  5. aardvark Win User
  6. Saltgrass Win User
    Does the support documentation give any info on creating the bootable DVD? Were there any choice when you created the DVD as to how it would be used or what configuration it should be? There should be something in the paperwork mentioning whether the DVD would be secure boot capable.

I have not used Macrium Reflect Free so I have no experience with creating the DVD.

Win 10 starts very fast and can bypass some of the normal Bios startup processes. You need to start tapping the required key as soon as it starts to boot and keep tapping, the earlier the better. You may also see a difference between a restart and a boot from a powered down condition. Or you could do as the others point out.

Saltgrass, Aug 7, 2016
  7. Thanks again. Now I'll be able to move on to MR.

MeAndMyComputer, Aug 9, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu

Hi there

The whole purpose of SECURE BOOT is to PREVENT booting of what Ms deems to be unofficial - i.e Non Ms OS'es so a lot of 3rd party boot rescue disks and Linux distros won't boot.

Simply DISABLE secure boot -- leave UEFI though --and then you can select as normal a Boot option in BIOS.

Secure Boot IMO was one of the most BOVINE things ever added to computers --it IMO serves absolutely ZERO useful purpose since

a) Those who don't know how to switch it off are never likely do do anything with their computers anyway so won't be re-installing Windows etc.

b) those that do install Windows / rescue media etc will switch it off in any case.

c) it's just a major irritant -- some people actually buy Laptops and run Linux etc as primary OS - not everybody always runs Windows on their machines as the main OS.

I for example have two laptops running CENTOS 7 as my main OS and have Windows 10 running as a Virtual Machine on these using VMWARE WORKSTATION.

I need Windows for Office and a host of corporate Software and access to corporate servers.

d) If you dual boot -- a PAIN.

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 9, 2016
  9. Although my issue to access the UEFI BIOS is solved from within Windows is solved what isn't solved yet is to access the UEFI BIOS during boot up using the appropriate DEL key something scrolls up much too quickly and the computer still boots up normally even with Secure Boot disabled. Unfortunately I don't have time to troubleshoot that issue at this time and will make it another thread when I can get back on it.

EDIT: It was pretty easy to figure out how to access UEFI during boot up when I realized all I hade to do is follow mannish9009’s instructions in post 2:
    “Shift + Restart > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Change UEFI firmware settings...Restart.”
    Issue solved.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu

1. Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu - Similar Threads - Cannot boot UEFI

2. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  3. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  4. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 11 Bios UEFI Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Bios UEFI Boot Menu: Hi Team,I am unable to see "Windows 11" name under UEFI BOOT: option but I can see it replaced by "UEFI: BC501 NVMe SK hynix 512GB, Partion 1." However, Windows 11 loads normally.Any suggestion to revert this situation or correct the name back to Windows 11?Thanking you in...
  6. Windows 11 Bios UEFI Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Bios UEFI Boot Menu: Hi Team,I am unable to see "Windows 11" name under UEFI BOOT: option but I can see it replaced by "UEFI: BC501 NVMe SK hynix 512GB, Partion 1." However, Windows 11 loads normally.Any suggestion to revert this situation or correct the name back to Windows 11?Thanking you in...
  7. Bios order of boot and UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios order of boot and UEFI: Hi there, what is the optimum order of "boot" you need to set the bios at for a quicker start-up? And where do you place the UEFI component in relation to the actual firmware in the order of boot? Thank you, Robert....
  8. Cannot enter BIOS and/or boot menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot enter BIOS and/or boot menu: Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone can help me with a little situation that I'm having... So I want to do a complete fresh install of Windows 10, but I'm having major difficulties. I have used the Windows Media Creation Tool to make my bootable Windows 10 USB but I...
  9. Unable to Boot into UEFI BIOS Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Boot into UEFI BIOS Menu: Recently I wanted to install a Virtual Machine onto my computer, which for my VM requires me to change a setting in the UEFI BIOS menu for it to work. When i tried to load into the UEFI menu, with Settings->Update and Security->Recovery->Advanced Start-up->Restart Now and...
  10. UEFI Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI Boot Menu: I went into my UEFI boot menu yesterday to try to boot to a USB drive and noticed the kanji-looking characters in the screen shot provided. I couldn't use the up/down arrow keys to select a different boot device. The tab key would take me to the "Enter Setup" and "Boot...